Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking my 09 fronty in for an oil change at my nissan dealer. Just about at 9000 miles. Should I get synthetic oil? Will it really help?
thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
lol, this your 1st?

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
I'm on my 33rd vehicle,never used anything other than traditional oil and have never had any engine failures.

Clint

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm on my 33rd vehicle,never used anything other than traditional oil and have never had any engine failures.
Cause you never keep a vehicle longer than 6 months?!?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I use synthetic for two reasons, extended oil change intervals (I don't have time) and I believe it flows better at low temp (-36*F a couple weeks ago) but think it comes down to $$$ you want to spend. In mild/normal driving I would put limit at about 5000miles with cheap oil and filter without causing any pre-mature engine problems $20. - or spend $40 for syn every 3000mi - diminishing returns on you $$$ spent, but they are your $$$.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I use Mobil One (5W30) In everything I own, have for years. I am thinking about Royal Purple for the truck for the next change though.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts

Clint
^^I agree

I've had several trucks that went well over 100k and I used Castrol 10-30. This is the first truck I've ever used synthetic oil in, I waited until 7k then switched to mobil1. The only reason for the change was that I had to drive over 3,000 miles per month and didn't want to change the oil every month. You pay double for synthetic oil and get double the miles between changes, sort of a two for one on the labor.

It doesn't matter which you choose, it matters that you change your oil and filter regularly. It's also important that you use quality oil and filters.

Good luck and enjoy your truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts