Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first bought my truck I was changing the oil at 3K mile intervals. Someone pointed out that this is for the severe use (Schedule 1) interval. I did this till probably 30-40K. Schedule 2 interval is 7500. I then started changing my oil at 5K, since much of my driving fits into the schedule 1 use but I use synthetic since 30K. Right now my truck is about to hit 80K and the oil at 7500. Thinking about going 10K between oil changes.

Want to hear what everyone else does and your logic behind it. Anyone (that changes their oil with some regularity) think they would have had an engine last longer if it had more frequent oil changes.

I plan to drive this truck til the wheels fall off. Then put them back on and drive some more.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Only way to know for sure is to get the oil tested. That being said I ran the 7500 in another nissan vehicle. I stepped it up to 10k but noticed a bit of oil loss. I went back to the 7500 and drove the vehicle until it was sold running with 205k miles on it. Different engine so it doesn't really apply just sharing my experience.

Also I was looking at the manual for my year (2014) and schedule 1 is oil change every 5k miles and schedule 2 is change ever 10k miles. I guess nissan changed it over the years.

I think I will have the dealer change it every 5k for now until I am out of warranty. Then after that I will step up to the 10k miles with synthetic. If the same situation pops up where I am missing some oil I will dial it back down to the 7500 miles. Of course unless I am towing something or loading the bed up.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Fwiw, I waited until 10k to switch to synthetic...conventional oil at 3750, 7500. Am now in the ~7500 OCI camp using 100% synthetic. While I don't off-road or encounter much visible dust, I figure stop&go driving is the greatest stress. Right foot is 2nd greatest stress. lol Really though, w/ the uber-adequate low-end torque on-tap, no need to goose this thing much unless needing a FIX of upper RPMs. Typical shifts are 1800-2200 rpm. Since 14-15k is annual avg, I'm changing it 2x/yr...and will continue to do so even if my annual miles drops.

I ran the same OCI in my '00 XE 2.4. Biggest difference was the lack of torque...meaning, I was constantly on that poor lil engine just to get my rig up to speed. Redlining it was no fun at all, but running it up to 3k-4k in 1st and 2nd was nearly essential.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is that Schedule 2 interval of 7500 miles for dino oil or synthetic?

In my service manual it only says 3750.

In my previous car I can't say that the issues I had weren't due to trying to extend the oil change intervals after hearing people talk about how oil lasted longer than they used to. But looking back they might've been talking about synthetic and that car was an older car so might not have the same tolerances that newer cars have.

I think when I first got the Frontier I did the 3750 intervals but eventually changed to the 3000 mile intervals. Can't remember exactly why. But part of it was that it was probably easier to get keep track of (don't have to add odd numbers or anything) and I figure it gives me some leeway if I'm not able to change the oil right at the interval mark.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Providing you don't go off roading in dusty areas I think 7500 to 10K, or once a year, whichever is first, is OK. But use good quality synthetic oil and a good quality filter. As mentioned above if in doubt have your oil analyzed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can only assume the oil change interval is with nissan approved oil. And according to the manual it is 5w-30 dino oil. There is no mention of synthetic that I saw. I always ran synthetic in my other vehicles. I want to keep the warranty intact and I doubt I will be able to keep all my receipts so I think dino oil from the dealer for me. At least for a couple of years.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I go every 4000 to 7000 miles or so. 5W-30 the entire time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't drive that much , <7500 miles / year. I change my oil every six months per Nissan recommendation. That means I have about 3500 miles on the oil. I figure an oil change twice a year is not going to break the bank.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Nissan changes their recommended intervals every few years, it seems. I've seen it go from 3750 to 7500 to 3750 to 5000 miles. I use synthetic and replace mine every 7500 miles or once a year, depending which comes first. When my '06 Pathy got to 150,000 miles, I had the oil tested at Blackstone Labs. I always use genuine Nissan oil filters or Purolator Pure One and Walmart's SuperTech full-synthetic 5W30 oil. SuperTech full-synthetic is API service SN certified and meats ILSAC GF-5 requirements and is Dexos approved; it sells for $18 for a 5-quart jug...cheap for a full-synthetic. The sample I sent had 7500 miles on it. I do mostly a mix of around town and highway driving; I very rarely tow anything or do much off-roading. The report I got back (see below) was good and recommended extending my interval to 9500 miles (I stick with 7500 intervals). It did note that the silicone levels were a little high, which I accounted for later when I round there was a split in the air intake rubber duct that probably let a little dirt get through.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Based on the less severe schedule, I'm changing oil every 6 months, which works out to about 3,900 miles (on average) for me. $11 at dealership with dino oil.

Vic

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Once a year on synthetic for me, which comes out to about a 10k interval give or take a few. My usage is mainly commuting on the road, with occasional off-road, so your conditions may vary.

It's kind of weird and most likely overkill hearing people changing their synthetic every 5k... because that's kind of the whole point of running synthetic, right? Longer mileage between oil changes compared to conventional oil.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong LOL

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
My truck is definitely in the severe category...

Sees 5 miles of rough dirt everyday (very dusty), with a 60/40 city/highway commute, 18-20k miles a year.

5w30 MaxLife semi synthetic changed at 5k religiously with Fram 15k mile synthetic filter (change filter at 5k as well). Will roll 100k on the truck by the end of the month:/

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
On my old Frontier and my current Xterra I have changed it every 5000 miles. I would consider my use somewhere between severe and normal but the off road miles are usually in very dusty conditions. I also do a lot of short trips between 1 - 3 miles which can take its toll on the oil, I believe.

I buy Mobil 1 at Costco when it is on sale and use the Bosch Distance Plus High Performance oil filter. With this filter the startup engine 'rattle' has gone completely away and the oil seems like it is a little cleaner when I change it. Bosch D3323 Distance Plus High Performance Oil Filter

Might be a little too often but I also intend to drive this vehicle until it is no longer serviceable.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I change mine every 5K as well, currently at 39K after 18 mos. of ownership. Mine is definitely in the severe category, used regular oil until 15K then switched to Synthetic, I run either Castrol or Mobil One Full synthetic. Normally get it changed at a local shop, but this next change in a week, I'll probably do myself.

·
Super Moderator
19,660 Posts
I use Amsoil Signature series and change at 15,000 miles or annually whichever comes first. My logic comes from lab test results and their recommendations. Just hit 143,000 miles last week and the truck is still running strong. I recently replaced a valve cover and the inside of my engine is super clean.

·
Registered
844 Posts
5000km or 3100mi with synthetic oil.

I drive 12,000 to 15,000 kilometers annually. I live in Canada, do frequent short trips and lots of offroad. $120 a year in oil and filters is nothing for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
THanks for the feedback. I will change this load of oil at 7500 and see how dirty the oil is and how much pep the truck picks up. I know it is just me but it always seems like the truck runs happier right after an oil change.

I just drove 50 miles in a white out snow storm with about 700 lbs of wet black oak in the bed. 6" of slop on the road. 4hi 90% of the miles. From about 2K' elevation, over 7, back to about 6. Truck ran perfect but felt a little tired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many factors to consider here...

A lot of folks commenting on the driving conditions, a lot of great information on that from others already on this thread so I'll echo that and go another direction - In addition to the driving conditions your vehicle is under, materials that you are using also play into what you're looking like for oil change intervals. Pushing conventional oil over 4000-4500 miles is foolish, conventional oil is not engineered for long service intervals. While it has improved greatly in the past 10-15 years, it is not a synthetic and thus should be changed much more regularly.

Additionally, the oil filter you are using is actually much more important than your oil. The filter, regardless of oil used, is going to break down and become less effective much faster. Top tier filters, in the $15-$30 range (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, K&N) can go 12000-15000 miles paired with a good oil. If you are using ANY other filter, anything in that $5-$10 range (Fram, Puralator, STP, etc.) 5000 miles MAX. They do not hold up.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Mobil 1 synthetic filter exclusively. I change my oil every 4000 miles (obviously not worrying if I go over and push it closer to 5000). It is slight overkill, but my engine is as clean as new and will never experience an oil related issue.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
844 Posts
To add to my previous post I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and the OEM filter, No startup rattle with 54k mi.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts