Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I mounted it in the same position roughly as UncleG did here: What have you done for your Frontier today/lately?
That way I was able to use the original hose that comes off the PCV valve without any modification. I made a different bracket that supports it from the bottom. It attaches to the bracket that holds the AT dipstick. It clamps on with a hose clamp over a section of silicone hose, to make changing it easy. I didn't want to rely on the bracket that comes with catch can and those 2 little set screws -- they're too small and easy to lose.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Maybe I'm confused right now spending so much time at home because of the Wuhan Virus, but aren't catch cans only needed on Direct Injected engines?
Vaporized oil comes out of the PCV valve. For various reasons you wouldn't want that just dripping on the road, so it gets fed right back into the air intake where some of it will burn off, but doesn't burn as well as fuel. What doesn't burn will accumulate in your intake. That's my understanding, anyway.

·
Registered
334 Posts
rdp, where did you mount yours? It would seem a little difficult to put on the firewall, because you still have to twist the bottom off to get to it. I bought that one too and the bottom is quite hard to twist off. I've been looking for an alternative location.
I mounted mine on the bracket coming off the firewall...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is it easy to remove the bottom to drain it? I see you mounted yours at a little different angle, how did you mount it there?
It's mounted pretty level and it only takes 1 screw to remove it. It's mounted on the bracket that holds the A/C lines (I think). I got it on ebay for about $25 and bought better fuel line.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's mounted pretty level and it only takes 1 screw to remove it. It's mounted on the bracket that holds the A/C lines (I think). I got it on ebay for about $25 and bought better fuel line.
I just figure it would be a lot easier if it was in a location where you can unscrew the bottom without having to remove the whole thing.

I probably should have bought one with a valve on the bottom, like I have on my Mazda3.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just figure it would be a lot easier if it was in a location where you can unscrew the bottom without having to remove the whole thing.

I probably should have bought one with a valve on the bottom, like I have on my Mazda3.
After I got it I was thinking the same thing. We'll see how it works out. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
410 Posts
After I got it I was thinking the same thing. We'll see how it works out. Thanks, Bob
Let me know. I'm going to try installing mine tomorrow, but I'm going to try for a different location, possibly down back behind the from bumper somewhere off the frame.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Let me know. I'm going to try installing mine tomorrow, but I'm going to try for a different location, possibly down back behind the from bumper somewhere off the frame.
I tried to keep it at the same level as the PCV. I'm not sure it would make a difference...also another choice was on the radiator support behind the CAI. A long run, but still about the same height. Good Luck and post up what you decide. Bob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe I'm confused right now spending so much time at home because of the Wuhan Virus, but aren't catch cans only needed on Direct Injected engines?
Driver72- you are correct, only DI engines really need the catch can. On our engines, the fuel injectors will wash any deposits off the valves.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts