Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I agree its a nice video but I'm on the fence here. I had one on my '08 Cooper S Turbo cause it did blow quite a bunch of oil and it was DGFI so the intake valves never got washed down and were known to be highly prone to coking, which did eventually take it down at 102k anyway. BMW thinks it reasonable that the owner should foot a $550.00 "cleaning" bill every 40k to remedy their craptastic "its the owners problem so we don't give a shiite even though our engineering is so sub-par" attitude. That engine was a raging turd with myriad other design flaws but Que Sera, Sera and regardless, back to topic.

Squirrel. So, if these are not DGFI then does enough oil really make it to the intake valves and not get washed off in a timely fashion from fuel spray, that the benefit of catch-can outweighs the possible side-effects if it fills with a sloppy water / oil condensate mix that the owner doesn't catch in time and "slugs" the intake with a shot of liquid? I guess if you add this to your 3k to 6k oil-change routine and always empty it, then the point may be moot afterall.

BTW I was selling aftermarket catch-can kits along with custom-fabbed intercooler kits for the R55 / 56 Generation Coopers so I know all about their engines and intake systems. This one makes me quite curious.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree its a nice video but I'm on the fence here. I had one on my '08 Cooper S Turbo cause it did blow quite a bunch of oil and it was DGFI so the intake valves never got washed down and were known to be highly prone to coking, which did eventually take it down at 102k anyway. BMW thinks it reasonable that the owner should foot a $550.00 "cleaning" bill every 40k to remedy their craptastic "its the owners problem so we don't give a shiite even though our engineering is so sub-par" attitude. That engine was a raging turd with myriad other design flaws but Que Sera, Sera and regardless, back to topic.

Squirrel. So, if these are not DGFI then does enough oil really make it to the intake valves and not get washed off in a timely fashion from fuel spray, that the benefit of catch-can outweighs the possible side-effects if it fills with a sloppy water / oil condensate mix that the owner doesn't catch in time and "slugs" the intake with a shot of liquid? I guess if you add this to your 3k to 6k oil-change routine and always empty it, then the point may be moot afterall.

BTW I was selling aftermarket catch-can kits along with custom-fabbed intercooler kits for the R55 / 56 Generation Coopers so I know all about their engines and intake systems. This one makes me quite curious.
Any idea what brand that is ? I would rather have black, but I like that simple set-up. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ok. I'm going to do this but I have a question. I have "cripped up" hands and there's no way that I could get that rear hose off and then re-install. WHY couldn't you cut the hose and install a coupler between it and the new 3/8's hose you're putting in ? I don't see a difference, do you ? Thanks, Bob
I tend to drive my stuff pretty hard so that's why this interests me.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Please subscribe....
Ok. I'm going to do this but I have a question. I have "cripped up" hands and there's no way that I could get that rear hose off and then re-install. WHY couldn't you cut the hose and install a coupler between it and the new 3/8's hose you're putting in ? I don't see a difference, do you ? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think if you used a coupler on the existing PCV hose you would have a lot of bends and corners in it to run it to that location, and a coupler would reduce the ID a bit. There are other locations you can mount the catch can and utilize the existing PCV hose, but you have to get creative:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think if you used a coupler on the existing PCV hose you would have a lot of bends and corners in it to run it to that location, and a coupler would reduce the ID a bit. There are other locations you can mount the catch can and utilize the existing PCV hose, but you have to get creative:
Mounting is not the problem...I can't get my hands in there behind the engine to the PVC port. Actually it's really a "double barbed straight fitting" not really a coupler.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Please subscribe....
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you connected it reverse. The PCV value is NOT on the Air Intake, it's in the back of the Cylinder bank at the bottom. Your IN should go to PCV Value so the catch-can takes IN the dirty air and through OUT comes the filtered air which should go to Air Intake.

PCV Value (dirty air) ---> IN--(Gets filtered)--OUT (clean air)--> Air Intake

·
Registered
334 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you connected it reverse. The PCV value is NOT on the Air Intake, it's in the back of the Cylinder bank at the bottom. Your IN should go to PCV Value so the catch-can takes IN the dirty air and through OUT comes the filtered air which should go to Air Intake.

PCV Value (dirty air) ---> IN--(Gets filtered)--OUT (clean air)--> Air Intake
I agree Mr. Whitehat9...the Out on the Catch Can should go into the Intake Runner, while the IN should come from the PVC Valve. I thought that it seemed weird but I needed someone else to say it too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mounting is not the problem...I can't get my hands in there behind the engine to the PVC port. Actually it's really a "double barbed straight fitting" not really a coupler.
By mounting it in that area, you don’t need to disconnect from the back of the engine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
By mounting it in that area, you don’t need to disconnect from the back of the engine.
That's what I'm saying. I went out in the garage tonight and double checked...I can not get my hand (or a tool) on that PVC clamp. So I'm cutting the hose father up, where I can reach it it, and connect the hose to the can from there. Done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Got mine done today...you can see where I "spliced" the IN line to the can. Like I said, I couldn't get my "cripped hands" in there to disconnect the PCV clamp and hose. It takes the same path that it would have if I was able to put the new hose on the PCV.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Got mine done today...you can see where I "spliced" the IN line to the can. Like I said, I couldn't get my "cripped hands" in there to disconnect the PCV clamp and hose. It takes the same path that it would have if I was able to put the new hose on the PCV. View attachment 312520 View attachment 312521 View attachment 312522
Just a heads up while you have the "fixit" bug.....The last pic to the bottom far left, the coolant line going thru the firewall with spring clamp on it is plastic and prone to cracking at the worst possible time (if there is even a good time. Lol) Rockauto sells a Dorman metal one as a replacement for like $9. Might order one as an insurance policy. I've got mine already.
BTW- Nice install!
(y)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just a heads up while you have the "fixit" bug.....The last pic to the bottom far left, the coolant line going thru the firewall with spring clamp on it is plastic and prone to cracking at the worst possible time (if there is even a good time. Lol) Rockauto sells a Dorman metal one as a replacement for like $9. Might order one as an insurance policy. I've got mine already.
BTW- Nice install!
(y)
Thanks for the heads up...I'll get so it'll be on hand when it happens. And, with my luck, it will. Thanks again. Bob

·
Registered
413 Posts
I installed this same oil catch can, and it is catching 54ml or 1.8 oz of oil per 1,000 miles. Happy that much oil vapor is not going back into my air intake.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I installed this same oil catch can, and it is catching 54ml or 1.8 oz of oil per 1,000 miles. Happy that much oil vapor is not going back into my air intake.
rdp, where did you mount yours? It would seem a little difficult to put on the firewall, because you still have to twist the bottom off to get to it. I bought that one too and the bottom is quite hard to twist off. I've been looking for an alternative location.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe I'm confused right now spending so much time at home because of the Wuhan Virus, but aren't catch cans only needed on Direct Injected engines?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts