Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okey, so i did my own oil change this weekend. swithed to syn. penzoil platinum. Bought a 5 quart bottle. So i was reading up on some oil treads and discovered that the capacity is -5-3/8 quarts. My dipstic shows that its in the ok range, but now i am thinking i should go buy a quart bottle and add the 3/8 to my 5 quarts i have put in already. Does 3/8 of a quart make a difference?
I have a 2008 frontier se v6, automatic crewcab, I let the dealership do the first oil change, but now i have started doing them myself.

·
Registered
354 Posts
100% of the oil does not come out of the engine when you drain it so you are probably fine. Don't take my word for it though. I had the dealer do my forst oil change and I haven't done enough miles to have to do one myself yet.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
its not going to hurt anything man. inside the ok lines is safe. I would want to have the oil half way between the lines at lease though... you are safer with it a hair low then with it over full. when its too full you risk blown seals and to high of oil pressure...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would go buy a quart and top it off. Keep the rest in the truck just incase. If nothing else you can use it next time around.

Reactions: FitzIngarage

·
Super Moderator
19,634 Posts
its not going to hurt anything man. inside the ok lines is safe. I would want to have the oil half way between the lines at lease though... you are safer with it a hair low then with it over full. when its too full you risk blown seals and to high of oil pressure...
It has to be quite overfull before something drastic happens.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I always buy 6 quarts for an oil change. I end up using 5 full quarts and about half of the 6th to get it to where I want to see it on the dipstick. So you'll want that 6th quart if you're doing a full service + filter.

Reactions: Randall D

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it is between the two indicators on the dipstick, you are fine. I just did mine for the first time and put in about 5.25 qt and it was right to the top indicator, probably should have just stopped at 5qt even.

Like others said, not all the oil comes out. don't worry about it.

J

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'd fill it to the line properly. In view of what you spent to buy your truck, a $5 quart of synthetic oil is pocket change. Too, several knowledgeable people on CF have noted a possible connection between failed timing chain guides and low oil pressure. While being a fraction of a quart low may not hurt, I'd be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I like to fill it to the top line. It is a lot easier to monitor oil usage that way.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Not to mention, what happens when you stomp on the gas? Its going to immediately evacuate most of the oil from the pan and shoot it to the parts that need it. So why not have a little reserve down there? Kinda why I pushed for the WRP Oil Pan Spacer, but.. we all know how that went.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for all the replys. I did buy a quart on the way home and added about a third of the bottle to my truck. Now i have it for the next time.

Kinda why I pushed for the WRP Oil Pan Spacer, but.. we all know how that went.
Sounds like a detailed subject, i dont have a clue what your talking about. Was there another thread where this was discussed so i can brush up on what and why?

·
Registered
Great truck
850 Posts
Odd amount of oil to use. I guess it gives you about half a quart to store by the brake booster in case it gets low between changes?

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
I always buy 6 quarts for an oil change. I end up using 5 full quarts and about half of the 6th to get it to where I want to see it on the dipstick. So you'll want that 6th quart if you're doing a full service + filter.
☝☝☝☝☝
What he said. I do the same thing. Buy 6 qts I fill with 5 1/2 qts.

What sucks on these trucks though Is the dipstick. So difficult to get a good read on it especially with clean oil.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It has to be quite overfull before something drastic happens.
Over full will not cause high oil pressure. The oil pump will only develop a max amount of pressure and that's it. If it's drastically over, it can get airated and foamy of the crank is able to "whip" it up actually causing low oil pres.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
You just necrobumped this post by saying "Lol....12 year old question." and got several other people to respond? What a devil you are :p
Yeah in other forums I was in the same thing happens.
People see an old post and aren't sure the info is still correct for the newer vehicle.
Some people in the know realize nothing has changed but some aren't sure so they ask again.
Nothing wrong with asking to make sure.
That's one thing forums are for 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts