Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 41 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
OP, I'm assuming you're using 5w-30 oil correct? I'm sure you are, but just checking.

Let us know what the Blackstone test results comes back with....good luck with the truck - and have a great Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OP, I'm assuming you're using 5w-30 oil correct? I'm sure you are, but just checking.

Let us know what the Blackstone test results comes back with....good luck with the truck - and have a great Thanksgiving!
Yes Castrol Edge 5W-30, Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looking at options, if I can get my payoff I may let it go.

·
Registered
666 Posts
this is crazy
Yeah I'm really upset about it, I love my truck, but... there seems no way to win.
Looking at options, if I can get my payoff I may let it go.
Man... what a shame. Any way you can go "over the dealership's head" to Nissan corporate or something? Show 'em this thread (not that they'll give a sh!t, but you never know...?)

I love my truck, too, and can't imagine having the troubles you've had. But if I did, I'd be thinking about letting it go, too. You've got to stop the bleeding eventually...

Sorry to hear of your luck and I really hope you get your truck fixed!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Man... what a shame. Any way you can go "over the dealership's head" to Nissan corporate or something? Show 'em this thread (not that they'll give a sh!t, but you never know...?)

I love my truck, too, and can't imagine having the troubles you've had. But if I did, I'd be thinking about letting it go, too. You've got to stop the bleeding eventually...

Sorry to hear of your luck and I really hope you get your truck fixed!
Thanks I appreciate it !

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
To be honest I have very little faith that Nissan will do much, this is based on past experiences. Right now I'm seriously looking at getting rid of it. It really is a bummer, and sorta breaks my heart. Even if they would put in a new engine I'm not sure how well it would be done. Going to see what my oil test says and go from there.
The frustration and despondency shows in your post. I too wish Nissan was a better company. Their current financial woes pushes them into spending less. If you must sell know full well that you will receive less than book. You will get quizzed on why you don't have the dealer fix the problem. I think the better way to go is to gain control of your emotions, play out the dealer route, then play out the LL route. Somewhere in this process is a new engine. Then you can sell the truck if not satisfied.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Please keep us informed. I know many companies monitor social media because they know how much bad reviews could affect them, not sure anyone from Nissan is monitoring this forum, especially with all the other problems they have going on right now but if they are then I for one will let them know if this isn't resolved to your satisfaction then Nissan will make my all time Black List. They were coming close anyway and this would push them over the edge.

I do the car buying/leasing for our family have purchased over the last 30 years 13 NEW Nissans, currently have 6 of them in the family.

Sister 1 - Helped her by a Nissan Pulsar in 1989, her first new car, she loved it but it developed transmission problems a few months after the warranty expired. We called the Nissan Rep and they covered the entire cost of the repair even though the warranty had expired. This is what got me going on Nissan, sad to see it change.

Me - Nissan Maxima, now on my 2nd Nissan Frontier
Brother In Law - Nissan Quest
Sister 2 - Nissan Altima
Nephew 1 - Nissan Frontier (My first one)
Brother - Two Nissan Maximas, now has a Nissan Murano
Nephew 2 - Nissan Maxima, now on his 3rd Nissan Altima (He leases that's why he goes thru cars)

I had the experience you are having with a brand new Ford years ago, I know how it feels. As a result of that Ford made my all time Black List and I have successfully convinced others who would have to NOT purchase a Ford and will continue to do so until my dying day, if Nissan want to become Ford then I will do the same for them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Please keep us informed. I know many companies monitor social media because they know how much bad reviews could affect them, not sure anyone from Nissan is monitoring this forum, especially with all the other problems they have going on right now but if they are then I for one will let them know if this isn't resolved to your satisfaction then Nissan will make my all time Black List. They were coming close anyway and this would push them over the edge.

I do the car buying/leasing for our family have purchased over the last 30 years 13 NEW Nissans, currently have 6 of them in the family.

Sister 1 - Helped her by a Nissan Pulsar in 1989, her first new car, she loved it but it developed transmission problems a few months after the warranty expired. We called the Nissan Rep and they covered the entire cost of the repair even though the warranty had expired. This is what got me going on Nissan, sad to see it change.

Me - Nissan Maxima, now on my 2nd Nissan Frontier
Brother In Law - Nissan Quest
Sister 2 - Nissan Altima
Nephew 1 - Nissan Frontier (My first one)
Brother - Two Nissan Maximas, now has a Nissan Murano
Nephew 2 - Nissan Maxima, now on his 3rd Nissan Altima (He leases that's why he goes thru cars)

I had the experience you are having with a brand new Ford years ago, I know how it feels. As a result of that Ford made my all time Black List and I have successfully convinced others who would have to NOT purchase a Ford and will continue to do so until my dying day, if Nissan want to become Ford then I will do the same for them.
To be fair to Nissan, the dealership did want me to bring it back to them leave it overnight and then the technician was going to a cold start etc...honestly I don't know if it will make a difference, (it sounds like crap to me warm), and to be fair to the whole situation I guess I will have to do it, although it will be a royal pain, taking off work, twice (any Nissan dealership is 70 miles away) so that's where I'm at. When I came home Wednesday night it sounded awful. I really think it's getting worse. Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it, and I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The frustration and despondency shows in your post. I too wish Nissan was a better company. Their current financial woes pushes them into spending less. If you must sell know full well that you will receive less than book. You will get quizzed on why you don't have the dealer fix the problem. I think the better way to go is to gain control of your emotions, play out the dealer route, then play out the LL route. Somewhere in this process is a new engine. Then you can sell the truck if not satisfied.
Gee,I didn't know that they were in trouble, that's not good to hear. I for sure don't want to take a soaking on it. My luck is just perfect, when I came home Wednesday night it sounded awful. I really think it's getting worse. Thanks for the reply I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Is the cooling fan clutch dragging and causing vibration?
Clint

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone's replies. As it stands now, I have sent off my oil for an analysis, and I guess I'm going to try and get it back to the dealership for a follow up for the technician to a cold start etc.. . When I came home Wednesday night the way it sounded and the vibration is awful to me, I really think it's getting worse. Why they couldn't hear an issue while I was there is beyond me unless getting completely heat soaked by the trip made it different. Taking off work, twice (any Nissan dealership is 70 miles away) is going to be tough, so I'm in a pickle. I'd really like to just trade it off, but I'd probably lose my shirt. And as crazy as it sounds I'd even consider another PRO-4X, I do still like them, warts and all. Again I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Is the cooling fan clutch dragging and causing vibration?
Clint
Clint, good to hear from you, no all that is good. It really shakes @ 1000 rpm. I'm going to try and make a video tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wife is not happy about any of this, so I'm not sure what is going to happen. I can't help what my truck is doing, but I don't want to keep a problem. Never ends, :( :mad:

·
Registered
80 Posts
a few suggestions after your get the oil analysis back....
1. I know you said the dealer is 70 miles away but try to drop it off one evening and see if they will loan or rent a vehicle for you - if not, try to set it up yourself - ask to speak to the service manager.
2. as for the tech working on the truck- ask for the lead technician or the most experienced tech.
3. when doing the overnight deal - when they do the cold start on it - demand to be there and also have another Frontier parked right next to or across from your truck for comparison.
4. document this on video...upload it to YouTube....if the dealer doesn't want to do anything, take it to an independent shop and have them have them document so you can escalate thru Nissan corporate.
5. Include your wife on the decision making so she feels involved...rather than try to explain everything to her later.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
1. I know you said the dealer is 70 miles away but try to drop it off one evening and see if they will loan or rent a vehicle for you - if not, try to set it up yourself - ask to speak to the service manager.
2. as for the tech working on the truck- ask for the lead technician or the most experienced tech.
3. when doing the overnight deal - when they do the cold start on it - demand to be there and also have another Frontier parked right next to or across from your truck for comparison.
4. document this on video...upload it to YouTube....if the dealer doesn't want to do anything, take it to an independent shop and have them have them document so you can escalate thru Nissan corporate.
5. Include your wife on the decision making so she feels involved...rather than try to explain everything to her later.
The documentation for the Lemon Law prosecution must show a dealer performed the evaluation. I would be straightforward in taking the video and explain the purpose is for LL. The independent shop can be useful as an "expert witness" who will listen to the engine and render his opinion. Capture this all on tape. It is not too early to bone up on the LL in your State. You only have so many months.

Sometimes the owner has car rental insurance for the purposes of loaner cars. Maybe it will work for the overnight exam.

I am still trying wrap my head around the need for the overnight. Didn't the OP say the noise is only when the engine is heat soaked?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Check out this thread from CF: the problem seems the same as yours.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
They were going to give me a loaner, so that's not a problem. The tech is their most experienced from what I gather. My wife is very much involved, but hates having to go through trading off vehicles due to problems. We had an awful time with our 2017 Colorado (transmission, the rumble strip issue) so she is so done with this sort of thing.

21 - 41 of 50 Posts