Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's just my dumb luck, but really need your guys help here. My 2018 Pro-4X isn't sounding good, got some serious engine knocking/tapping going on. It only has 9700 miles and the oil has been changed 3 times, in those miles. Here is a sound clip (with a picture overlay) on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/955920301092171/?multi_permalinks=3759456337405206&notif_id=1573821088651317&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

Putting it under stress and at idle, engine is fully warmed up. It also vibrates pretty bad, and my gas mileage is under most everyone else's too. Been loving the truck, so I hope this is not going to be serious. If my past experience with Nissan on my 2010 I had remains the same today, as back then, I'm screwed.馃が I really appreciate your input. Planning to try to get to the dealer next week. Tried putting the clip here but it wouldn't work. Thanks !

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think it's abnormally loud?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Got an appointment with the dealership for Wednesday. We'll see how it goes, to be honest I don't feel very confident that they will do anything, if they deem it needs a new engine I just hope they do it correctly 馃檮. Wish me luck 馃槵

Registered
Got an appointment with the dealership for Wednesday. We'll see how it goes, to be honest I don't feel very confident that they will do anything, if they deem it needs a new engine I just hope they do it correctly 馃檮. Wish me luck 馃槵
Best of luck. Hopefully it's nothing. I can't access the clip via FB for some reason.

Make sure to document everything as well as possible on your end. Dot those I's and cross them T's as it were.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Best of luck. Hopefully it's nothing. I can't access the clip via FB for some reason.

Make sure to document everything as well as possible on your end. Dot those I's and cross them T's as it were.
Thanks !

Registered
It is still under warranty and basically brand new so they will get it fixed. Remember if coverage is denied they have to provide a written statement for the reason it was denied and they have to prove that the failure was caused directly by something you did. They don't want to open that can of worms so I'm confident they will make you happy. I've been through this with BMW/Mini before and when it came time to put words to paper the car got magically fixed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
just to add 2 common sense things -- I would make sure you have an OEM Nissan oil filter installed and the proper oil weight, don't give them any reason to deny you.
I have a Bosch Distance Plus filter, which I know many here use, and Castrol Edge 5W30. Can't change the filter at this point, but under the M. Fergusson Act they shouldn't be able to deny work because of the filter. Thanks !

Premium Member
I have a Bosch Distance Plus filter, which I know many here use, and Castrol Edge 5W30. Can't change the filter at this point, but under the M. Fergusson Act they shouldn't be able to deny work because of the filter. Thanks !
Don't worry one moment on that. As long as you have proof the oil was changed at least once, there is nothing they can say about the filter or oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well... had my appointment at the dealer today, the tech (which I spoke at length with) couldn't really hear anything abnormal, but he wants me to come back and leave it overnight so he can do a cold start, and go from there. So... at least they're interested in trying to see if it has a problem. To be honest after it's 145 mile trip today it's considerably quieter, which is good, but odd too. I'm going to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and see what they come up with as well. It at least wasn't a total loss today, plus we got to eat at Cracker Barrel.:) Now trying to arrange time off again to get it back to them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Some thoughts after coming home and back to the normal routine. After the long trip back home Wednesday the truck sounded pretty good, now after just doing my usual running around daily routine it sounds just like it was, pretty noisy. It must take the engine being completely heat soaked for it to quiet down. The vibration seems to be increasing, a lot, so that's not good. I don't have much choice but to drive it for now, and try to get back to the dealership asap. That's going to be a bit harder with Thanksgiving being next week. I'm not going to lie, I've considered just trading it off, or selling it. I wouldn't be opposed to another one, but my wife would lose her mind, and yes I know that's not a really good option either. It's always just my dumb luck to have to deal with something like this.:(

Registered
These are noisy engines until warm and a lot of us (myself included) have bumped our idle speed 100-150 rpms to smooth out the idle so it may be that you have no issue at all.

Premium Member
These are noisy engines until warm and a lot of us (myself included) have bumped our idle speed 100-150 rpms to smooth out the idle so it may be that you have no issue at all.
I agree. Even after having mine for 5 years and 70k miles, the noise when it's cold and or not all the way warm is still odd to me. The way it's been explained to me is the cam followers are a mechanical adjustment and do not have a hydraulic lifter or similar to take up slack when cold, so, the tolerance is loose (but within spec) when cold and tightens up as the engine warms.

And same on the idle. a minor adjustment of the speed cures most. What RPM is your engine running at when the rough idle happens?

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. Even after having mine for 5 years and 70k miles, the noise when it's cold and or not all the way warm is still odd to me. The way it's been explained to me is the cam followers are a mechanical adjustment and do not have a hydraulic lifter or similar to take up slack when cold, so, the tolerance is loose (but within spec) when cold and tightens up as the engine warms.

And same on the idle. a minor adjustment of the speed cures most. What RPM is your engine running at when the rough idle happens?
1000 rpm's, it does seem to vibrate some at any rpm but it's really pronounced at 1000, shakes the truck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Did an oil change yesterday, and it really didn't seem to make a difference. Got an oil sample to send off to Blackstone Labs. That may be able to tell me if there is something wrong.If anyone has heard of 2018's having engine failure please let me know.

Registered
1000 rpm's, it does seem to vibrate some at any rpm but it's really pronounced at 1000, shakes the truck.
It seems that something in the engine has a natural frequency of 1,000 and is loose and allowed to vibrate. What it is I cannot tell you except it is not normal.

A lot of what will happen depends on the dealer. Hopefully they will proactively step in and fix the engine.

If you must go lemon law, the bottom line is the ability to duplicate the problem in front of the LL "judges." Maybe taking videos will be a substitute.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
It seems that something in the engine has a natural frequency of 1,000 and is loose and allowed to vibrate. What it is I cannot tell you except it is not normal.

A lot of what will happen depends on the dealer. Hopefully they will proactively step in and fix the engine.

If you must go lemon law, the bottom line is the ability to duplicate the problem in front of the LL "judges." Maybe taking videos will be a substitute.
To be honest I have very little faith that Nissan will do much, this is based on past experiences. Right now I'm seriously looking at getting rid of it. It really is a bummer, and sorta breaks my heart. Even if they would put in a new engine I'm not sure how well it would be done. Going to see what my oil test says and go from there.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts