Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 4 Wheel Parts Catalog in the mail today, and I was wondering. . .what is the lifespan for offroad tires compared to "regular" seasonal tires?? If any of you have personal experience, I'm looking at the following:

-BFG All Terrain T/A KO
-BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM
-Toyo Tires Open Country A/T
-Toyo Tires Open Country M/T

They also had a FAT section of ProComp tires. Anyone have any opinions or first-hand experience w/ these?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I f you drive your truck on the street a lot and plan on doing some minor offroading then the BFG AT are perfect. They last forever and are quiet. If you plan on doing alot of mudding then make sure you get one of the MT's I really don't have a preference.
The Firestone Destination MT's are amazing. I had them on my jeep and they out performed the BFG MT's on my uncle's jeep (same year and setup) when we went to tuttle creek.
That was 3 years ago, I think they still make them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the mud terrain tires for BFG and Toyo last as long as the all terrain, just more expensive? Or do they have a shorter life as well?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
If you plan on running just on set of wheels/tires, I would definitely go with the ATs. MTs generally have poor traction on wet or slick pavement surfaces, not to mention the noise put off by them will drive you nuts.

IMO you can't go wrong with BFG ATs. I plan on having a set put on very soon myself.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn. I wasn't even thinking about that. So the mud terrains (no matter what the manufacturer) suck in rain? What about snow/ice/rain?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
Damn. I wasn't even thinking about that. So the mud terrains (no matter what the manufacturer) suck in rain? What about snow/ice/rain?
I think you can find some that aren't 'as' bad as others, but I think just by design you will have those problems with running MTs on pavement. But my experience was with BFG MTs. They were awesome in the mud and dirt, not too bad in deeper snow, but frightening on ice.

Are you really wanting to have MTs for purpose, or just agressive styling? If you are a really dedicated off-roader just get a cheap set of steelies with MTs mounted on them, otherwise it's hard to fault some of the really good ATs that are out there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
One of the best all-around offroad tires is Goodyear MT/R. Mud is not their strong point, but they ride nice and quiet, wear good and perform well on rocks. They are sort of a cross between typical AT and MT tire (MT/R stands for Maximum Traction Reinforced, not Mud Terrain). Their Durawall sdiewalls are one of the best for wheeling.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I here alot people talking about the Bridgestone Revos, they look dam good and good feedback means alot too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
can't beat BFGs. AT's are the best if you're not offroad often. And even if you are they still do great. They will be my replacement tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a stock 2005 nismo with the bfg's Rugged trail at's I like them on the road, but in deep mud the treads just fill up and kinda got a little stuck. Wellz maybe I need a little more speed.. one of my friends has a toyota two seater with mud tires. that thing just goes on right through. course his truck is way older and lighter...

·
Registered
149 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
Mud tires suck in the snow/ice/rain unless it's soft deep snow (which you'll never see on the street). There's no sipeing on them.

But... Check this article for adding sipes to your tires.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sipe/

·
Registered
113 Posts
JackBauer is right. You can not beat the BFG. I had legal tread left on a set after 57,000 miles on them. The Revo is just a little cheaper and not worth it. I've seen them fail early first hand. The BFGs have never left me stuck, never hydroplaned, never had a flat. (Knock on wood). I'm on my second set now. 265/70/16

1 - 15 of 15 Posts