Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so was doing some wheeling around this weekend on some Alberta Crown land.

Nothing to serious but some portions of the trails had some steep washouts to them. Didnt see it as a hige issue truck seemed to handle most ok. But there were also quite a few instances where my nissan factory hitch would hit the ground. Now this caused some damge to trailer harness plug bent the bracket right back and snapped the plug itself.

So now im wondering what you guys do to prevent this issue. Custom trailer plug mount?

Obviously a lift kit would solve a lot of these issues but being on a budget a couple g's on a lift kit is not in the mix right now.

Im also wondering if hitting the hitch on the ground may have done any damage elsewhere on the truck?

Thanks in advance everyone. View attachment 307828
20190811_123527.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Unless you hit the hitch really hard (like smashed it off a jump or high speed run hard), it shouldn't have done any damage to the rest of your vehicle. It's bolted into the end of the frame.

Looks like you're carrying a bit of weight in the back with RTT and rack. I'd suggest a 1 or 2 leaf add-a-leaf for the rear. Just the add a leaf would at least put the rear back to stock or a little higher than stock without the tent and rack, and they are pretty affordable ($100-$300 range). With 1 to 2" of lift you could still run the stock P4X Bilsteins.

Single Leaf ($109): https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/frontier-1-5-inch-lift-single-aal
Dual AAL ($159). Probably overkill if you don't lift the front: https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/frontier-2-5-dual-aal-pack
Single Leaf + Front Lift Shocks ($300): https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/frontier-5100-single-aal-lift-kit

·
Registered
398 Posts
JTD is right, your rear will sag slightly with that load.

Personally I'd go with a set of springs and add a leaf, or you could do a level kit which is a small spacer and rear block. But the springs and AAL would be better.

These guys are members of the forum and have been really knowledgable and cool, this basic kit of theirs is the best bang for the buck it seems.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
NickChuk, I mounted my combo 7pin - 4 / 5pin twin connector socket through the bumper, left side of license plate, as others have mentioned. I haven't wheeled with the truck since the upgrade, but being tucked that high, I'm sure I'll damage something much more important before anything else happens. That's your best, most final solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect thanks for all the help you guys. Definitely some things to look into here!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
JTD is right, your rear will sag slightly with that load.

Personally I'd go with a set of springs and add a leaf, or you could do a level kit which is a small spacer and rear block. But the springs and AAL would be better.

These guys are members of the forum and have been really knowledgable and cool, this basic kit of theirs is the best bang for the buck it seems.

I just ordered this lift last week and it looks like its going to get here today. Pretty stoked about it. I have the same issue with my hitch as well so im hoping this will help out that. It's annoying constantly dragging it. ADO is a good vendor and these guys are super knowledgable and are only out to get you what you need. Im sure if you give them a call, they would be more than happy to help get you what your looking for/ need. A small lift and a plug relocation should make this a non issue (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered this lift last week and it looks like its going to get here today. Pretty stoked about it. I have the same issue with my hitch as well so im hoping this will help out that. It's annoying constantly dragging it. ADO is a good vendor and these guys are super knowledgable and are only out to get you what you need. Im sure if you give them a call, they would be more than happy to help get you what your looking for/ need. A small lift and a plug relocation should make this a non issue (y)
Would love to hear your thoughts on this kit once you install it.

Really like how smooth this truck is stock so kind of weary to change suspension and possibly lose that ride quality.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As stated, there is room next to the license plate to drill a hole to mount the plug. After that, As long as you don't come down fast and hard on it, you can drag the rear hitch all you want.
I just want to compliment you on how clean that install looks. Hell, you even taped it off! That's how it should come from the factory. I'll definitely be copying your homework!

I was kind of surprised at the stock location since it seems like it might get damaged even from something like ice chunks in the road. Not to mention corrosion from the socket being closer to any puddles.

The only change I'd make would be using stainless steel fasteners because I live in the rust belt. I always swap my license plate screws/bolts over to stainless for the same reason. Are those just threaded into the bumper, or are they bolted through to a nut and washer on the other side?

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Thank you.

I reused the factory bolts. and yes, through bolt with a nut on the back side. The one thing to watch out for and why I prefer not to use stainless hardware is galling. If you get it wrong, that fastener is stuck there for good. I prefer a dab of antiseize on standard bolts here in MN.

I assume the reason the plug is not in the bumper is the hitch and plug is not installed at the factory and is an option. But, agreed, it should not hang that low.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thank you.

I reused the factory bolts. and yes, through bolt with a nut on the back side. The one thing to watch out for and why I prefer not to use stainless hardware is galling. If you get it wrong, that fastener is stuck there for good. I prefer a dab of antiseize on standard bolts here in MN.

I assume the reason the plug is not in the bumper is the hitch and plug is not installed at the factory and is an option. But, agreed, it should not hang that low.
Is the hitch dealer installed then? I assumed they threw it on at the factory if it was optioned that way, but for all I know they might toss it in the cab and the dealer hangs it on the back during their PDI.

Galling is certainly something to be wary of, and I'm glad that you brought it up as I neglected to mention it. I've never had a problem with galling, but I've always used anti-seize and kept the torque down to a reasonable amount, even with something like license plate screws. Definitely don't use an air impact! ;)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Would love to hear your thoughts on this kit once you install it.

Really like how smooth this truck is stock so kind of weary to change suspension and possibly lose that ride quality.

Sorry for the late reply. It has given me some time to abuse it though. All in all I love the new lift! It feels a little stiff for a while, but now that I have put about 500 street miles and a few 3 hour+ off road sessions on it, it feels great. It feels just like stock on the street. Off road it seems to handle big whoop sections better and I haven't dragged my hitch one time so the extra clearance has made a big difference. The rear end is where i feel the most gains. I took out the overload leaf when installed the AAL and it feels much better! Doesnt hope around like it used to when going over small rocks and rutted out sections at any sort of speed. The front feels nice as well. I was worried about coil bucket contact, but to my pleasant surprise, there is none! For the price, I would say you cant any better! No loss of quality! Only gain!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the late reply. It has given me some time to abuse it though. All in all I love the new lift! It feels a little stiff for a while, but now that I have put about 500 street miles and a few 3 hour+ off road sessions on it, it feels great. It feels just like stock on the street. Off road it seems to handle big whoop sections better and I haven't dragged my hitch one time so the extra clearance has made a big difference. The rear end is where i feel the most gains. I took out the overload leaf when installed the AAL and it feels much better! Doesnt hope around like it used to when going over small rocks and rutted out sections at any sort of speed. The front feels nice as well. I was worried about coil bucket contact, but to my pleasant surprise, there is none! For the price, I would say you cant any better! No loss of quality! Only gain!
Great to hear, definitely keep this on my list of possible future mods!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts