Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new 2011 frontier SV 4x4. I find the truck has a bit of a harsh ,bumpy ride. My partner is using a lap top in the truck and we are finding the ride very harsh. My first question is the suspension the same as the SV 4x2 . My second question is what can I do to take the choppy ride out. Many Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Buy a Cadillac. Seriously it's a truck, not a luxury vehicle. The only frontiers that use different shocks are the pro 4x, and they're probably stiffer/harsher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Choppy ride

Thanks for the advice on my first question. My second question was what can I do to smooth the choppy ride. If I add some weight in the back will this help? Many Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yamaha, I thought the same thing when I picked up my 2012 2WD back in October. You will get used to it. Doesnt bother me at all now. Could even be that it has softened up a little. BTW,check your tire pressure. My truck was delivered with 45 psi in all four.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Coilover setups with softer spring rates are available, i recommend prgproducts.com. If you are on a budget, you can just get coils with a softer spring rate and stick with the stock shocks. For the rear, the overload leaf gave my truck a harsh ride, pretty much donkey kicked over highways bumps, so i opted for adding an AAL pack and bilstein 5125 shocks when i lifted my truck...much smoother ride. If you want great advice, the right setup for your money, and great service, then just call greg at prgproducts.com

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
i opted for adding an AAL pack and bilstein 5125 shocks when i lifted my truck...much smoother ride.
The Bil 5125s made a huge difference in ride quality on my truck...much smoother than the stock rear shocks. And x3 on checking tire pressure...even 5 lbs extra can make the ride much harsher.

Adding some weight in the bed would help with the bounciness but may hurt your gas mileage a little bit.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have the 2011 SL 4x4 LB CC and noticed the same choppy ride. Did not have this on the same vehicle 08 version. Only difference apparent is the tires/wheels. 08 was smooth as glass. Something is different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Added weight

Tire pressure is 30 lbs so I put two sand bags close to the tail gate and put a 2x4 across liner to secure. What a difference with just hundred pounds in the rear. The bouncy, choppy ride is much smoother now. Is 30lbs in tires ok as the driver door tag says 35? Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You are right above setting the tpms light on. Your probobly ok , but not sure what it might do as far as tire wear. In your northern climate I don't supposed you will be worried about your tires overheating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just picked up a new 2011 frontier SV 4x4. I find the truck has a bit of a harsh ,bumpy ride. My partner is using a lap top in the truck and we are finding the ride very harsh. My first question is the suspension the same as the SV 4x2 . My second question is what can I do to take the choppy ride out. Many Thanks
I have the same problem on a new 2019 frontier. How did you finally fix the rough ride?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I read somewhere on here that your shocks and struts (front shocks in our case) might be bad. The harshness you feel over bumps is the springs working without recoil support from the shocks. i have a 2012 with 115k on the clock that does this and I'm going to replace the shocks on all four sides... when I get some time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coilover setups with softer spring rates are available, i recommend prgproducts.com. If you are on a budget, you can just get coils with a softer spring rate and stick with the stock shocks. For the rear, the overload leaf gave my truck a harsh ride, pretty much donkey kicked over highways bumps, so i opted for adding an AAL pack and bilstein 5125 shocks when i lifted my truck...much smoother ride. If you want great advice, the right setup for your money, and great service, then just call greg at prgproducts.com
Frontire, Did you add a single leaf AAL or a double?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts