Nissan Frontier Forum banner

OEM Side Mirrors vs. Aftermarket Tow Mirrors

40K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  (none) 
#1 ·
Everyone,

I just added a LEER 100XR Cap/Topper (SUV like) to my truck for additional storage (needed extra room for the double stroller) and a side effect to the topper is that my field of view between the side view mirrors and over my shoulder has dropped. I am interested in adding some aftermarket tow mirrors to help with this.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison with dimension on how much further the tow mirrors extend beyond the OEMs when retracted and extended? I have searched thru the forum and I see a lot of pictures showing what they look like retracted and extended but no dimensions. I may have overlooked something but I don't think I did.

Secondly, it was mentioned in one of the threads that I could add the heated option to the mirrors if I replace some of the harness from an SL truck (I do have factory rear defrost), does anyone have a Nissan PN or a write-up?

Here are a few of the threads that I have already reviewed thru:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/extendable-mirrors-106089/index4.html

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/tow-mirrors-15-same-fitment-earlier-191490/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/another-company-makes-tow-mirrors-196409/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...der-towing-mirrors-direct-replacement-113537/

and here is the company that I was interested in buying the mirrors from: https://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair/i/1amrp01310?f=752915&y=2012

Thank you for your comments.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't speak on the heated portion, but I seem to recall when not extended the tow mirrors stick out 3 1/2 inches farther EACH SIDE (7 total), and 9 inches farther each side (18 total) farther than stock. I have the non-heated 1A Auto version and am more than happy. Best upgrade so far...we regularly pull a 23' camper with the Frontier and have used the clip on style mirrors in the past. Won't go back to stock ::smile::

#8 ·
Thank you for all the info. Now to convince the wife that I need to spend even more money on the truck, lol.

AndrewVK: I have been lurking for the last few years as I have been busy with family. My first is now 3 and you guessed it, my wife and I had our second, a boy this time so one of each. Still working on the truck and doing upgrades when funds are available but due to my awesome health insurance, this birth cost a whopping 7k out of pocket. It was cheaper then not having insurance but sure as heck wasn't the 350 we paid for the first.

#12 · (Edited)
Yes, and no.

That's not why I took one apart, and trust me, you don't want to. The reassembly is nigh impossible. I had to run a new wiring harness through mine.

But you couldn't shorten them.

It's not that bad. The length is part of A) the function and B) the look

#14 ·
#20 ·
Just making sure these mirrors will plug into and/or adapt to our in-dash mirror adjustment switch? we are thinking about getting a travel trailer and I'm looking into the stuff needed such as brake controller, WD-hitch, mirrors etc...

#18 ·
Anyone know if they make the same or similar mirror for the first gens (2001)? This would be very useful to me towing. But then again, my truck might look goofy since it's not as big as you guys' trucks, let alone full size heavy duties that come with the tow mirrors haha.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I had this style of mirrors on my Titan, you will not regret installing them on your truck.

Clint

#23 ·
Old thread, I know.

Did you ever get the mirrors? Had an incident where I didn't see a car in my blind-spot caused by the combination of the rear seat headrest and the camper shell. No collision but would've been my fault if there had been. I already tried those little stick-on mirrors, they're not enough.

#33 ·
Bringing this thread back up since I`ve read a few threads here and how most liked this brand of tow mirror...

I am on the fence as the listing for this ends with the 2016 model year. I`m pretty sure not much has changed on the frontier as my 2019 CC SV looks exactly like our past 2013 SV with exception to the CD-less touch screen radio.

I have not seen 1A auto reply here in recent days regarding these mirrors. I did recently chat online with a sales rep and there is no promotions or discounts at this time.
$273.00 for these mirrors is a bit pricey, but I would like more side/rear view than my sport mirrors can provide.

has anyone installed these mirrors without removing the door panel? I have no issue with splicing the harness if the harness is accessible with unbolting the mirror from the door.

do these work with the AVS stick on vent shades, as I have a full set on my truck. I do realize I would have to slip under the front edge, if they do fit...

#34 · (Edited)
You need to remove that black plastic trim on the door panel, to get to the connector. The connectors are plug and play. No need for splicing, unless you plan to add heated mirrors to a truck that doesn’t have them.

They should fit over the in-channel vent visors.

Tyger used to carry them as well, but they complained of poor quality and stopped selling them. There is only one Chinese company that makes them and there were two US distributors, 1A and Tyger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked Aibaba and AliExpress, Chinese vendors no longer carry those toe mirrors. Looks like the Chinese factory stopped producing them.

If you want a set, buy one now, otherwise you will be stuck with looking for a used set.

2nd Edit:
ChrisCam is the Taiwan manufacturer of these tow mirrors.

#36 ·
Removing the door panel is no big deal. Might make for good practice.

Maybe you can put some sound-deadening material in there. That’s what I did when I installed my tow mirrors (and added heated mirrors too so had to run extra wiring for that).

#38 ·
Removing the large door panels is not difficult at all and will likely be needed to gain access to the wiring connector as it is clipped to a door member. To otherwise try would risk breaking the connector and/or pulling the wiring apart at the connector. They fit with "In-Channel" AVS but I can NOT comment of Stick-On...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.