Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I remember there were a few discussions about ROOF racks. I found one on ebay from a seller in China for $180 with $150 shipping. It's suppose to be a OEM design, I also looked at his feedbacks and found numerous people have purchase this Rack from him. Anyone of our members bought from this seller? If so, can you give me your feedbacks on the product?

I think the only thing that it doesn't come with is the "FRONTIER" sticker, which Im not worried about.

I love the look of a roof rack on my 2011 CC SV but not willing to pay $1100 from dealership. If anyone has comments, please let me know. Below is the link on ebay to this product.

NISSAN NAVARA D40 ROOF RACK ROOF RAIL OEM DESIGN | eBay

:confused:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There's a member on here who installed one, but he got his from a junkyard. I think that's probably the best bet. It turned out really good. Either way, I'm pretty sure you'll have to drill holes to mount it and that's what's been holding me back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It looks like a cheaper alternative for a factory look, if you get one please post up some pics and your critique of the product, cause I might be interested in getting one of these but like you i'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea savage yard my 2nd option, I checked with them first and none of them have it (houston TX area). I guess they are hard to come by, they also wanted about $500-600 for it. I do realized that we will have to drill 16 holes from the install, but It'll be covered up once the rack is on there so Im not really concern about that.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I say go for it. Looks about the same and way cheaper that a real one. I drilled 16 half inch holes in my roof, make sure you measure everything right... ha. If you have any q's ask me or irongraves if he's still on here.

·
Registered
643 Posts
correct me if i am wrong but 2009's and newer fronty doesnt come with the "FRONTIER" sticker on the roof rack my 2010 didnt have it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no sticker on oem? well that's even better!! its very tempting to make the purchase, however...i would still like to get an input from soneone who has already bought the product from this seller

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
242 Posts
I have 2010, no "Frontier" on my rack. If you look at my "welcome" thread , you'll see pics. Also in the "2010 Pro-4X won't start" thread, I have another pic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you get it to bolt on? I know you have to drill into the roof, but where and how do you mount the nuts? I would guess you would have to remove the headliner too? How do you keep it from leaking?

I've removed mine to see the MPG damage it causes, it looks like the mounting holes are molded into the roof and bonded to the nuts.

I gained 3 MPG with the roof rack removed.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Rack looks good, I had one on my first frontier but didn't like it due to wind noise it created. I might have overlooked that if i actually had a need for it.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
How do you get it to bolt on? I know you have to drill into the roof, but where and how do you mount the nuts? I would guess you would have to remove the headliner too? How do you keep it from leaking?

I've removed mine to see the MPG damage it causes, it looks like the mounting holes are molded into the roof and bonded to the nuts.

I gained 3 MPG with the roof rack removed.
Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

These are the parts that i used to install mine, Yes you have to remove the headliner, use silicone sealant around the screws or rubber washer. the parts where the rack comes in contact with the roof should have a rubber gasket on the bottom to keep the weather from getting to you new holes you drilled out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nissanaddicted,

Wind noise issues? Was it pretty noticable..I didnt think about that one. Considering the design and geometry of the rack, i wouldnt think that windnoise and MPG would be a major issue. I know our trucks aren't reallly well insulated like a luxury car so adding more wind noise on while on the freeway is prob not a good thing.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
in all fairness, my first frontier was a gen 1 but it was bad , but the gen 2's seem to be alot better insulated. You might ask a couple of poeple that have them on a gen 2 and see how bad the noise is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have personally purchased from =Koala, and its legit. Compared side by side to the real deal, and the only difference is the sticker and the screws, which have been changed from torex to philips. A nice change. There is no doubt in my mind that this is not just a replica, but being funnelled from the very factory that is making the oem version. Its just too close to be a convenient copy. Right down to the mounting plates- its identical. For the price, you won't be disappointed. I love mine. See my mod which is on the second gen Nissan King cab. :itsfriday:

·
Registered
242 Posts
The last 3 (of 6 total) posts by icisz have been about the roof racks and eBay user "koala". He revived dead threads to bring it up. he's in this one too: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/oem-roof-rack-availability-42355/ which has been dead for a 1 1/2 year plus this one, which hasn't been posted in for a month. The "it's Friday" emote in both threads, on a Sunday, plus the how hard he seems to be pushing this sellers legitimacy makes me cautious, even though I tend to trust eBay sellers, if they have a decent feedback and have been selling for a while.

I'm posting the same thing on the other thread as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mr. Doubtfire again I stand up for myself and say sorry for my over enthusiasm.
Perhaps my excitement got the better of
Me.
Everyone here:
Please be Cautious when buying abroad. It is not
My intention to endorse or authenticate any vendor, only that it was a
Good and very worthwhile experience for me,
Personally.
I appologise if I have offended anyone and perhaps it's time to move on.
I love my frontier and the mods I am doing,
And will leave questions of product origin to the pm system in the future!

Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts