Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new Kenwood KDC-X994 in last night in my 06 Nismo CC with the RF system. I used the metra turbowire kit and wired the Kenwood harness to the turbo wires and then plugged it all in (one in the back of the new head unit and the 2 turbowire connectors to the matching factory connections. Everything works fine I tested the fader and balance and all my + or - connections and all the speakers were wired correctly. The speakers sound really fuzzy and if i turn the volume to 0 I can still hear the fuzzy signal coming through the speakers. My friend who has a lot of experience with car audio says its most likely because the amplification of the head unit and factory RF amp are both working together. Does anyone know what all the wiring is going into the 2 connections on the amplifier? I would like to just by pass the RF amplifier and wire the amp input and output speaker wires together. I have a 2 channel 125W amp I planned on running the RF subs off of from the kenwood sub preouts. I don't really want to run new speaker wire because it seems like it would be a lot easier to figure out which wires from the RF amp are the inputs and which are the outputs and simply wire them together? Thanks for the help!:hi:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Check your grounds well! There may be a genius on here with a perfect solution but I myself have ran into issues when setting up low-level to high-level amplification setups... my only solution that works extremely well is:

Run to your local shack and grab an RCA ground loop interference filter. You may need two of them since you probably have 4 RCA cables in your wiring to the RF amp.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Maybe this will help. This should be the output side of the amp.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
is the amp under the pas seat?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I thought the speakers in the RF system had a weird ohm rating.?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is mounted with a factory bracket under the passenger side seat. I'm not sure about the ohm rating? It seemed to me like a lot of people put aftermarket speakers in and I didn't really understand why because it seems like the stock speakers are pretty nice if you just had better subs to go with them. Maybe theres another reason like the ohm rating though.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i havnt done one of the 2nd gen rf systems, but in first gen trucks, its the same harness that plugs into the amp, you you just unplug the output side, and thats the new plave you hook your harness up to, may need to extend the wires too...usually if your hooked into an oem amp system you want to be running low level, not high because thats like...double amplified, maybe try adding rca wires to your harness and plug those into the front and rear preouts on the deck, expecially if your volume is super touchy. and also the black wire that comes in the nissan harness is never a good ground, prettymuch all nissans you have to run a different ground...theere is a good big bar back there you can put a screw into and have a clean ground

·
Registered
602 Posts
let me check ohm rating got them in a box at the house----
any body want to buy them?? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
let me check ohm rating got them in a box at the house----
any body want to buy them?? :)
That would be great!! Did you replace the speakers, the amp, in addition to the HU, or all?

I'd prefer to keep the HU, and ideally the amp. Speakers are easy to change.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
everything
working on my sub box for over a month now. work is booming and i get a little bit of resin stirred up when i can

k back to work- got to big out some jobs to stay busy :)

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had replaced my speakers first before the amps, sounded just fine with the exception of the tweeters being WAY louder than the factory tweeters due to difference in resistance. Ended up putting the factory tweeters back in until I replaced the amps (was only a week later anywho).

As for the original question on the thread, I would leave the factory amp and instead just put a 4 channel high to low level converter to match the speaker level outputs on your new head unit the low level input that the factory amp is used to.

Something like this:

Amazon.com: Scosche SLC4 Speaker Level Converter With 80 Watt Max: Electronics

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had replaced my speakers first before the amps, sounded just fine with the exception of the tweeters being WAY louder than the factory tweeters due to difference in resistance. Ended up putting the factory tweeters back in until I replaced the amps (was only a week later anywho)...

QUOTE]

Did you use 4ohm or 2ohm tweets? what brand and model?

Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
They were 2ohm tweeters, IIRC the factory ones are 4ohm. Infiniti Kappas

·
Registered
13 Posts
They were 2ohm tweeters, IIRC the factory ones are 4ohm. Infiniti Kappas
Thanks, Infinity makes some great tweets (i replaced all the speakers in my TL-S with infinity RS). It sounds like one could get good sound by replacing all the speakers w/ quality 2ohm speakers. The tweets might take a little expermenting with (either a 4 ohm model or a 2 ohm model w/ a resister ? if possible) Assuming I buy the frontier, I'd like to keep the RF deck and amp. Changing the amp cold be a pain.

Thanks again

·
Registered
262 Posts
The amp's not too bad to do. I still have my factory radio feeding a 4 channel amp to aftermarket speakers and a mono for an aftermarket sub.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts