Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was under the truck poking/looking around and noticed my 19 Pro4X does not seem to have Bilstien rear shocks??? The fronts are the obvious yellow and blue and say Bilstien ... The rear are black and have Nissan and a part number real small on the tube... so this doesn't seem normal does it happen sometime? So is there much difference in the performance and load, ride ect between the Bilstien 4600 and the standard duty black?? Is it worth replacing/upgrading now if i am planning a small lift 1.5" -2" in the near future...or just wait until the lift and then add the 4600 or maybe the 5100 Bilstien ...
Any thoughts on this would be a great help

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
If you're planning on lifting, run it as is. Shocks have nothing to do with load capacity.
Did you buy it new? If yes, you could still try to politely but firmly negotiate with thw selling dealer gor the yellow bodies, and accept free oil changes or something...
And no, rears should be yellow bils.
The difference between yellow & black is not a huge difference

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was new to me with like 6500 miles when i bought it in May so not a dealer fix... so as for performance, ride quality height, ect not a huge deal....good to know... it still bugs me lol so when i lift probably sooner now most likely as i like the little bit of rake for towing leaning toward something small like a 1.5 front and rear as it seems to be the sweet spot without having to change too many other things would you say 4600 like should have been there to begin with to go 5100 ?

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
5100 at the 1 or 2 inch lift length. Nisstec had a sale recently, may still be on.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
The black shocks sound like the SV trim level Tokico shocks. I ran them w/ my GeneralspringsKC.com HD leaf springs which lifted the rear 1.5" (w/ a bed shell installed) w/ no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if i am right in what i have been reading 'thank you lift sticky and other members' since i would be replacing the rear shocks when i add a small lift it seems the sweet spot and best no issue option would be to use the 5100 set with the fronts set to 1.5 and add a 1.5 block in the rear and all should be right with the world...lol with something that small are camber bolts needed or just a good idea?

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
So i was under the truck poking/looking around and noticed my 19 Pro4X does not seem to have Bilstien rear shocks??? The fronts are the obvious yellow and blue and say Bilstien ... The rear are black and have Nissan and a part number real small on the tube... so this doesn't seem normal does it happen sometime? So is there much difference in the performance and load, ride ect between the Bilstien 4600 and the standard duty black?? Is it worth replacing/upgrading now if i am planning a small lift 1.5" -2" in the near future...or just wait until the lift and then add the 4600 or maybe the 5100 Bilstien ...
Any thoughts on this would be a great help
Pro 4x should have Bilstien's all around. Something isn't right there. Yes they make a big difference mainly off road. Don't know this personally, just from off road reviews I have read in magazines and YouTube. The authors all stated the same thing, "The Factory Bilstiens shine off road". Here is another review from Youtube and you can hear what they have to say about the PRO 4X suspension off road.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
The yellow bils however are pretty stiff on the highway with an empty bed and tend to bounce on concrete highways. PO could have swapped them out for the black s for a smoother ride.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
The yellow bils however are pretty stiff on the highway with an empty bed and tend to bounce on concrete highways. PO could have swapped them out for the black s for a smoother ride.
Possibly I don't think the PRO 4X is bad at all on the highway. Just did a 5 hr drive from SoCal to Prescott AZ no complaints at all.
Just depends on what your used to. If you not used to driving a truck (prior Titan owner here) then you may complain. Trucks ride like... Trucks to me.
Tire pressure too plays a role.

All and all I think the Frontier is a pretty sweet truck 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may just put the correct yellow and blue 4600s on as the local dealer has a July sale and they have the shocks in stock for 62 each if i order online and pickup there...they also have the midnight grill for 205 in stock... I keep telling myself to keep the CC in you wallet lol

·
Read Only
295 Posts
I may just put the correct yellow and blue 4600s on as the local dealer has a July sale and they have the shocks in stock for 62 each if i order online and pickup there...they also have the midnight grill for 205 in stock... I keep telling myself to keep the CC in you wallet lol
☝☝☝☝ Wise Decision.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
If the truck rides fine, I would just leave the black shocks on there. Wait until a lift or you have a blown shock to spend the $.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is everything else pro-4x back there? M226 diff w/ locking diff? Make sure they didn't swap out the whole rear when they did the shocks! Could have been a rental reject and they went the cheap route. Cant remember exact number of bolts on diff cover, but think it's 14 for m226.
And on another note, I've read on here somewhere that the pro-4x's were softer damped than the sv's.... maybe not. Oh well. Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just buy yellow spray paint and paint them. Wait until you lift the rear to get new ones, no sense to buy new shocks when the OEM ones are in good shape.

Reactions: Drkjed
1 - 15 of 15 Posts