Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using their OEM Radiator Skid with the Hefty Engine Skid? How did you mount the back 2 bolts/nuts to the Hefty Engine skid?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bolted the factory Radiator skid and then the hefty engine skid? Did the 2 fit together or did the factory radiator skid have to be modified to fit like that?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
You bolted the factory Radiator skid and then the hefty engine skid? Did the 2 fit together or did the factory radiator skid have to be modified to fit like that?
Didn't modify anything, I'll see if I can get a better pic tonight

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Hopefully this helps, sorry for my ugly mug and helper, if not I'll take it from a different angle

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This definitely helps. Did you put the stock rad skid on in the stock mounting location and then put the hefty engine skid on?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
The skid was already there, I just slapped the Hefty skid on and bolted it in place. If you search, there is install instructions on here somewhere for Hefty skids

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks, I'll have to play around with it this weekend then.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
It says you must drill 2 holes, does it mean the front two?

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts

Hopefully this helps, sorry for my ugly mug and helper, if not I'll take it from a different angle

you lucky so & so.... cute pooch.

did you use longer bolts or extra washers under the engine skid? I couldn't get mine to sit flush against the crossmember with the OEM skid in place. I wound up drilling & tapping 2 smallish holes for the OEM to lay against(outside) the Hefty and then used 2 grade5 self-threading bolts.

It's only a temp protection till the bumper & rad skid arrives anyway. I've 1/2 caved in my oem using it as a rock-gong/feeler gauge...

It says you must drill 2 holes, does it mean the front two?

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro
I believe the holes you are referring to are the ones you need to drill in the frame/crossmember. and there should be 4. all 4 corners of the engine skid should be bolted with the (IIRC) 1/2" bolts. the 14mm bolts that hold it in place really only help keep it in place while you fix the big-uns in place. They (14mm) will eventually fail if you use the skid as a skid (versus a splash/stick shield like the oem)

Reactions: BCBrian

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I had the stock radiator skid in place then bolted up the hefty skid. It pushed the stock skid in a little due to the front lip but now that it is pushed in it bolts up easy.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Frontier SV crew cab, short bed, 6 speed manual transmission, Value Truck Package
828 Posts
I'm trying to install my Hefty engine skid, but the front lip contacts the stock radiator skid and the bolts aren't long enough to reach the holes. Did you just force it up to be close enough to get the bolts in?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts