Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 210k my mounts don't have visible cracking but I'm sure after removing them they will look worn down.

I have a standard trans so I can't check for engine play by doing a brake stall or shifting into drive. At this milage they should be worn though right?

Considering a new set, and wondering what your opinion is on that rockauto "DEA" brand? They have solid and hydraulic.

And I'm sure OEM mounts will cost double if not more. What do you guys think?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
PRG makes motor mounts.That is what I have in my truck.My truck is a six speed also.The stock ones were gone in a very short time(less than 7k).Noticed my motor had shifted. Of course the truck had seen major abuse shortly before.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I noticed that the write up linked on the PRG site is for a 08 Xterra, must be universal across Nissan's? The pictures in the Xterra write up look different then my 3.3 1st gen mounts

This is the link
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/65103-how-prg-motor-mount-install.html?referrerid=1595#/topics/65103?page=2&_k=f94sds

Edit: just realized you said your truck is a 6 speed. 1st gens only have 5spd. You must not have a 1st gen so I don't think this motor mount will work for me, although it looks awesome

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at 250 shipped for the two OEM Nissan mounts vs about 80 for the DEA/anchor aftermarket rockauto hydraulic mounts vs about 120 for the DEA/anchor aftermarket solid mounts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Did not know you needed 1st Generation. Won't fit.
My mistake.I should have seen you posted in the 1st generation forum. Sorry

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There was a guy making some heavy duty aftermarket mounts for the first gen. I doubt he is in business anymore though. I can't remember the name, I'll see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Even my 1998 Frontier with 213K is on its original motor mounts, 4-cylinder 2WD manual though.

However my 1988 Mazda B2200 truck had its original motor mounts rubber broken in two, and I installed Anchor brand motor mounts from Rock Auto into that a few years back. They've seemed OK. Also, for that truck, the pair was under $30, have never looked at the Frontier's.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even my 1998 Frontier with 213K is on its original motor mounts, 4-cylinder 2WD manual though.

However my 1988 Mazda B2200 truck had its original motor mounts rubber broken in two, and I installed Anchor brand motor mounts from Rock Auto into that a few years back. They've seemed OK. Also, for that truck, the pair was under $30, have never looked at the Frontier's.
I've seen mostly bad reviews for the anchor and that's the only aftermarket brand available

But the price difference between OEM is massive

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
At 210k my mounts don't have visible cracking but I'm sure after removing them they will look worn down.

I have a standard trans so I can't check for engine play by doing a brake stall or shifting into drive. At this milage they should be worn though right?

Considering a new set, and wondering what your opinion is on that rockauto "DEA" brand? They have solid and hydraulic.

And I'm sure OEM mounts will cost double if not more. What do you guys think?

I've never heard anything bad about the rugged rocks heavy duty mounts. These are for a v6. About to put these on mine later this month.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-frontier-heavy-duty-motor-mount-by-rugged-rocks-33l-v6-1998-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-p-35974.html

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never heard anything bad about the rugged rocks heavy duty mounts. These are for a v6. About to put these on mine later this month.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-frontier-heavy-duty-motor-mount-by-rugged-rocks-33l-v6-1998-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-p-35974.html
Awesome, didn't know the aftermarket had good mounts. Really appreciate that.

Is that a poly bushing in there or is it solid? Any concerns about vibration vs the OEM style rubbers?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Awesome, didn't know the aftermarket had good mounts. Really appreciate that.

Is that a poly bushing in there or is it solid? Any concerns about vibration vs the OEM style rubbers?

it's poly but it's very stiff. I've heard the idle has a bit more vibration but at least you know you have a strong mount. oh and that price on the website is just for one.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Original Nissan mounts are oil filled, so, any solid mount will usually transmit a lot more vibration. I haven't been impressed with Anchor mounts for a number of years. DEA is a bit better and offer oil filled mounts and solid mounts. It really depends on how you drive your truck. If you do a lot of hard core off-roading, then solid or Poly mounts make more sense. If your truck is more of a daily driver, then oil filled mounts make more sense.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Original Nissan mounts are oil filled, so, any solid mount will usually transmit a lot more vibration. I haven't been impressed with Anchor mounts for a number of years. DEA is a bit better and offer oil filled mounts and solid mounts. It really depends on how you drive your truck. If you do a lot of hard core off-roading, then solid or Poly mounts make more sense. If your truck is more of a daily driver, then oil filled mounts make more sense.
I've read so many bad stories of DEA and anchor hydraulic mounts failing FAST, my truck is a 2wd precious DD so I'm hesitant on spending so much for those ruggedrocks mounts even though they seem to be the best quality out there

I already have some harshness due to changing suspension components to poly.. which I'm not complaining about due to their longevity

So I guess it's either RR solid mounts or OEM , both expensive investments

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
A lot of the Anchor mounts are made in Korea. Most of the auto parts made in China these days are too bad, but, much of the stuff coming out of Korea and Thailand are really sub-par.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
FYI: for the record, the anchor mounts in my B2200 are solid rubber, not hydraulic mounts. Hydraulic mounts sound lots more complicated.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Hydraulic mounts are no more complicated than solid rubber mounts; they just have an internal bladder filled with oil inside the rubber insulator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts