Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says. Currently have some PIAA's (not sure model) but would like to go back to OEM.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
9007 bulbs?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know 9007. I should have been more clear... what brand?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Put in some Sylvania Xtravision bulbs... basically slightly brighter than the OEM Sylvania but similar color (3200k).

The bulbs I replaced were PIAA XTreme White Plus (4000k).... I hated them.
On bright they were good / normal. Dims were very poor.
When meeting oncoming traffic, my dims seemed non-existent and it was seriously a safety issue at times.
They were poor in inclement weather (snow, fog, etc) due to the color spectrum, on either bright or dim.

Happy to return to OEM yellowish-white color instead of that stupid blueish-white.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Put in some Sylvania Xtravision bulbs... basically slightly brighter than the OEM Sylvania but similar color (3200k).

The bulbs I replaced were PIAA XTreme White Plus (4000k).... I hated them.
On bright they were good / normal. Dims were very poor. When meeting oncoming traffic, my dims seemed non-existent and it was seriously a safety issue at times.
They were poor in inclement weather (snow, fog, etc) due to the color spectrum.

Happy to return to OEM yellowish-white color instead of that stupid blueish-white.

I totally agree!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do a lot of driving at night due to working shift work, and found the OEM bulbs to be dismal at best, upgraded to the Sylvania Ultrastars this past summer and have found them to be a welcome improvement. Haven't upgraded the fog lights yet, but with the OEM bulbs it seems like the fogs have a brighter light output then the headlights do, and still find that to be the case. It's a shame that Nissan had to go the combined low beam-high beam route, i drove a 2013 Fiesta a while back at night on the highway, which has separate housings for the low beam and high beam, and it was impressive on high beam, darn near turned the highway, and the ditches, which up here in Canada is almost more important when trying to avoid moose and deer, into daylight, and that was in the middle of nowhere with no street lights. The frontier I turn the high beams on, and id say half the time switch back to low beams so I can see the road better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SparkyBD, I totally agree with the importance of lighting up the roadside and ditches for those of us driving in rural areas often. Wish my truck had fogs; planning to install a set of 3 - 3.5" yellow-amber halogen lamps into the existing cut-outs one day. My 2001 Corolla has the separate bulbs for high & low beams... they are MUCH better than my Frontier's lights. In fact, I'd venture to say my Frontier has the poorest lights of any of the vehicles I've ever owned (10 so far) except for the '79 Fairmont I had for one winter hah!

If someone wants my PIAA bulbs they can have them for free... just pay the shipping cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yup, it's a shame that they haven't kept on top of current tech with the headlights, heck the Juke after only being out for a few years went from Halogen to HID, so Nissan has the capability to change to something better.

Off-topic, while the headlights on the Juke look neat, they are highly impractical for winter driving, with them being down lower and recessed into the bumper they are highly prone to collecting all of the road grime and snow of traffic around you. Pretty much every time you stop in the winter you'd need to clean them off, while the turn signals higher up would magically always be clean. And yet some how, the Frontier still seems to have worse headlights

1 - 11 of 11 Posts