Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK everyone, I am stumped.
I noticed yesterday that some sort of sealant around my windshield looks like it melted and was bubbled. I went to my local Nissan dealer and a service writer looked at it. He pointed at the bottom driver side of the windshield and said the glass was not factory, it had been replaced. I bought it with 8 miles on it.
He pointed at the word Carlex on the glass and said if it was OEM, it would say Nissan. To make a long story short, what does your windshield say? especially those with a '15. All my windows have Carlex on them and i seriously doubt all the windows had to be replaced.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,530 Posts
But but but he works at the dealer so he's an expert, lol.
Amazing how stupid some people are.
All he had to do is look at any Nissan there.

Clint

Reactions: ef9

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I suggest a trip back asking for the service manager and getting it fixed under warranty and something for his service writer turning you away and making you have to come back again. It might just be an oil change, but your time is worth money too.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
While you at the dealer, you can show him some of the new trucks on the lot with Carlex windshields.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
What a crock this service writer guy is claiming. That chaps my ***.

Hey?!! Mine's a Carlex, too! lol

Fwiw (and by law), a dealer does not have to divulge any repairs/body-work/touch-ups/etc made to a new vehicle prior to the initial delivery to the prospective buyer. These 'imperfections' could have occurred at the factory, during transport, or even at the selling dealer's lot.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
But but but he works at the dealer so he's an expert, lol.
Amazing how stupid some people are.
All he had to do is look at any Nissan there.

Clint
He may be a really smart human, hard to say but decent training from the dealership would be helpful. Don't always blame the end's to the mean.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Carlex on my 2015 Desert Runner Crew Cab purchased new with 20 miles on the clock... Service Advisers are on commission and see dollars signs disappear when you needed warranty work done.. At my "stealership" they seem to go through service advisers like they are going through underwear.. I've only seen 2 that seem to be there regularly and the rest seem to go away. The last guy I had I said to him "The last 2 advisers I've had since I bought my truck 9 months ago don't seem to work here anymore." He said "take my card I'll be here for a long time"... In my mind I thought sarcastically "yeah, right"....

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Super Moderator
11,530 Posts
He may be a really smart human, hard to say but decent training from the dealership would be helpful. Don't always blame the end's to the mean.
It appears he makes decisions without knowledge. Imagine if a customer has a mechanical issue and he just says, it's not a warranty repair because he knows no better and the customer foots the bill out of pocket?
A smart person would say I'll look into it give me a few minutes and then go ask a co worker is Carlex is factory glass.

Clint

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Thanks everyone for the info. After seeing all my windows have Carlex on them, I have called Nissan USA and have opened a case/ticket with them. They should be responding back to me later today.
On a side note, all the windows on my son's 09 Sentra say Nissan on them.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Mines a 2006 and it says Nissan with Carlex right below it. If you were thinking about it, you should have said Oh really? And looked for the closest Frontier and walked over to it with him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Good news,
The service manager called me and is sending a glass guy to my work place to see what is going on.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Service advisor was trying to "get rid of you", guess he did look at the other windows on the truck anyway and knew they said Carlex. Anyway, doesn't even matter if it had been PPG or something, you bought the truck as new, is covered.

And I only thought it was car salesmen that you knew were lying because their lips were moving....Nissan does not own class factories, paint factories, light bulb factories, etc. - they buy from suppliers. And big crock who think that dealer mechanics can always do better work, they have their Goobers who do the oil changes, etc., not the highly trained diagnosticians and ASE certified guys...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep, should be CARLEX. Carlex makes the glass for US built Nissans (USA manufactured mostly TENN but has 4 US factories). CARLITE is the CARLEX aftermarket glass brand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My original windshield said Nissan with Carlex right below it.
The drivers doors and rear window says Nissan / Carlex.
The rear KC doors say Nissan / United Glass.

I got an OE glass reaplcement at a windshield place and now it says Carlex only.

So, no the service guy was probably not "just trying to get rid of you".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Final update
Glass and seal was replaced. Service manager was great and took care of me! The writer was new and didn't realize it was OEM glass.
On a side note, the SM told me they have seen a couple of Frontiers that had the same issue. It looks like the sealant is melting and oozing from under the rubber weatherstrip.
New visor tint strip this weekend and I am good to go!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts