Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Frontier owners;

I have the dreaded P0420 code - passenger side catalytic converter failure.

113,000 miles

I have read enough posts regarding the code but haven't truly seen where the best place is to buy an OEM replacement. Dealership?

Any advice would be appreciated regarding the oem replacement or other suggestions for replacing the converter.

Thank you

·
Registered
974 Posts
Dealership is a stealer. Do it yourself. I just had mine done both driver and passenger side.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have done them all myself as well as all 4x O2 sensors. I did learn not to buy the cheapest crap out there as they fail over time. (not much time at all either) I found someone that did long tube headers and removed their primaries and sold them for a good deal. OEM equipment is better, but way too pricey unless you get a deal. I did the exhaust from the headers to the exhaust tip and still got p0430 codes. I had OEM replacements for the primaries and I bought Magnaflow for the secondaries from amazon.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I have done them all myself as well as all 4x O2 sensors. I did learn not to buy the cheapest crap out there as they fail over time. (not much time at all either) I found someone that did long tube headers and removed their primaries and sold them for a good deal. OEM equipment is better, but way too pricey unless you get a deal. I did the exhaust from the headers to the exhaust tip and still got p0430 codes. I had OEM replacements for the primaries and I bought Magnaflow for the secondaries from amazon.
For clarification:
Are you saying you installed OEM replacements 'post-headers'* along w/ Magnaflow for the secondaries THEN got the p0430 code??
*Stock exhaust manifolds OR aftermarket headers = shorties or long-tubes?

Have heard UpRev may help overcome a p0430 code w/ aftermarket exhaust systems...thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
19,660 Posts
Hello Frontier owners;

I have the dreaded P0420 code - passenger side catalytic converter failure.

113,000 miles

I have read enough posts regarding the code but haven't truly seen where the best place is to buy an OEM replacement. Dealership?

Any advice would be appreciated regarding the oem replacement or other suggestions for replacing the converter.

Thank you
Do you have any idea of what caused your cat to fail? I'm at 145,000+ miles and have not had a check engine light for cats or anything else yet. I do have the ole flashing passenger airbag light on again as of today though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any idea of what caused your cat to fail? I'm at 145,000+ miles and have not had a check engine light for cats or anything else yet. I do have the ole flashing passenger airbag light on again as of today though.
Sorry I don't know. I just bought the truck so have no history on it. I have read about the O2 extender but believe that to be just bypassing the problem rather than fixing it.

I intend to keep the truck for a long while and so want to replace it right. The Walker Cats seem to be a good alternative.

My ultimate question is where is the best place to buy OEM cats from? Is there a preferred website that you guys/gals use or is it simply from your local dealer?

My dealer is $709 each after a $140 core return. That's over 10% of my trucks value in just 2 items!
Sounds crazy but I would probably do both as you have to pretty much take the suspension apart any way. At 114,000 miles now the other one could possibly go out at any time as well.

I appreciate the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts