Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing an aftermarket Head unit to replace my stock radio. Problem that I have is that the OEM camera does not use the RCA (Yellow) cable that the aftermarket head unit accepts. I dont want to buy a new camera since the OEM works perfectly fine.

Kenwood Excelon DDX794
DDX794 | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

Anyone have tried to install an after market radio and still get the OEM backup camera to work?

·
Registered
819 Posts
It is possible; however you will need to determine which wire is the signal and which wire is the signal return (signal ground - not to be confused with chassis ground). Once you figure that out, you can solder on a RCA male plug. The center pin of a RCA plug is the signal and the outer ring is the signal ground.

On the back of the stock radio, where the camera input is, if one of the wires is shielded, that will be the signal wire. If you have access to an oscilloscope, it to will be super easy to determine which is which as the signal wire (while the camera is on and displaying on the OEM radio) will have a very distinctive envelope pattern. (see below)

^ That is only if the signal coming from the OEM camera is analog. If it's digital then no, you wouldn't be able to use the stock camera without extensive engineering.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I will be installing an aftermarket Head unit to replace my stock radio. Problem that I have is that the OEM camera does not use the RCA (Yellow) cable that the aftermarket head unit accepts. I dont want to buy a new camera since the OEM works perfectly fine.

Kenwood Excelon DDX794
DDX794 | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

Anyone have tried to install an after market radio and still get the OEM backup camera to work?
You just need an Axxess AX-NIS32SWC adaptor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks all! I saw the harness but was hesitant to order it since you also need the steering wheel harness( that is not compatible with my truck). I spoke with a Crutchfield rep just said that it wont be compatible so I decided not to purchase it.
@Contra/Raine- were you successful in using this harness?
@Grendel - thanks for the info

Thanks all! I saw the harness but was hesitant to order it since you also need the steering wheel harness( that is not compatible with my truck). I spoke with a Crutchfield rep just said that it wont be compatible so I decided not to purchase it.
@Contra/Raine- were you successful in using this harness? @Grendel - thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts

@Contra/Raine- were you successful in using this harness?
@Grendel - thanks for the info
I don't know who told you you need the steering wheel harness to get the OEM rear camera to work; Anyhow, there's only 4 connections to the AX-NIS32SWC:

- 12v+ Switched
- Ground
- Reverse Input (+)
- Video Signal (RCA to head unit)

And yes, I have the AX-NIS32SWC installed in my truck to use the OEM rear camera with my Kenwood DNX-892 - click the link for more info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know who told you you need the steering wheel harness to get the OEM rear camera to work; Anyhow, there's only 4 connections to the AX-NIS32SWC:

• 12v+ Switched
  • Ground
  • Reverse Input (+)
  • Video Signal (RCA to head unit)

And yes, I have the AX-NIS32SWC installed in my truck to use the OEM rear camera with my Kenwood DNX-892 - click the link for more info.
hey @raine, when you installed the Rear camera harness, I assume you also had a SWC harness connected, meaning you only used the female 32pin connector to the factory wiring and the video input for the camera?
after my install, I have the Spiral harness and SWC, and also the Axxess harness for the SWC (but only for the BUC - and in doing so, one end of the Axxess isnt used. I only connected to the 40pin (current year change) and the video in - and soldered the additional wires. so, I have the male 8pin connector not connected (which I believe would be used for the SWC but im using the Spiral SWC so, its just not connected.

does that sound right?

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
RE: Backup Camera Only
As I mentioned in that quote - I only have 4 wires connected on the NIS32SWC to get my backup camera working.
There is a 5th connection to the NIS32SWC, but it's related to steering wheel controls, not camera (see next)

RE: Steering Wheel Controls Only
The only connection to the NIS32SWC that I have specifically for steering wheel controls is the 3.5mm male plug. I have this connected to the 3.5mm female socket on the ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Controller harness. All other steering wheel control connections between the SWC-1 harness and the main head unit harness, and nothing else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts