Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, full disclosure: I'm venting.

So many people whine about their stock antenna height. A lot of them buy stubbies. I've now had a THIRD random knucklehead casually suggest I get rid of my silly stock antenna.

Two words: height clearance. The factory antenna is my last clearance check before passing under low obstacles. It's close enough to my roof line that if the antenna clears, I'm confident that I'll clear. If it scrapes under, I need to be careful, and if it catches, it's a no-go.

I wouldn't even be surprised if that was an intended function of the antenna's height; even if not intended, it's felicitously convenient.

I'm not knocking the guys running stubbies; you do you...but ffs why does everyone look at me like I'm crazy when I point out such an obvious benefit of the antenna height?

/rant

·
Registered
9 Posts

So many people whine about their stock antenna height. A lot of them buy stubbies. I've now had a THIRD random knucklehead casually suggest I get rid of my silly stock antenna.

Two words: height clearance. The factory antenna is my last clearance check before passing under low obstacles. It's close enough to my roof line that if the antenna clears, I'm confident that I'll clear. If it scrapes under, I need to be careful, and if it catches, it's a no-go.

I wouldn't even be surprised if that was an intended function of the antenna's height; even if not intended, it's felicitously convenient.

I'm not knocking the guys running stubbies; you do you...but ffs why does everyone look at me like I'm crazy when I point out such an obvious benefit of the antenna height?

/rant
Agreed. I was looking all over at aftermarkets, but stopped as soon as I saw someone bring this exact point up.

Also, losing even a touch of reception due to the stubbies doesn't really seem worth it.

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
Been running a stubby for years w/o a single problem including radio reception. I don't drive through or under low clearance places either. Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I dig my stub lol get great reception and have XM in the mountains at the property in Foresthill, CA were there is no cell reception.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol it took two replies before the stubbies started making their case, even though I specifically said I'm not knocking them. Compensating much? ?

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
Lol it took two replies before the stubbies started making their case, even though I specifically said I'm not knocking them. Compensating much? ?
At ease. LOL It doesn't matter if you are knocking them or not. People can express their personal opinions without "compensating much." YMMV

·
Registered
141 Posts
Recently replaced my antenna with a stubby. Definite loss in reception on my truck. I guessed this might happen going in, but I don't listen to the radio much so no big loss.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
I think my stock antennae is still on my truck and reception is terrible!! Probably because I don't have a radio. Well, a normal radio that is.

·
Super Moderator
10,752 Posts
I put one on my Wrangler and reception sucked so in took it off. My current Frontier has less reception than the last one so I'd never try a stubby on it.

Clint

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still debating going stuby on my truck, living in Vancouver im in enough low clearance parking garages that I know the truck fits just fine, but the stupid antenna hits every low hanging pipe, mixed with it catching tree branches off road and whipping antenna and branch toward truck, and let's not forget winter, scrapping windows off reaching around the antenna, or when it gets caked up in ice and starts whipping back and forth like it's about to snap in two ( of which I'll give it credit, these things seem invincble ).
But on the flip side, I enjoy my radio, and for such a large antenna the reception is absolute garbage.

·
Registered
544 Posts
... But on the flip side, I enjoy my radio, and for such a large antenna the reception is absolute garbage.
Even with the stubby antenna I know the radio in my truck works, I even used it once... LoL

Between the likes of Pandora and 30 Gigs of mixed music in my phone I have no need for the radio or CD player. Plus I'm ready to drop Sirius as my truck sits at least 240 days out the year in a parking lot and paying for 6 channels (all I use) of music is just no longer making sense to me...

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Plus I'm ready to drop Sirius as my truck sits at least 240 days out the year in a parking lot and paying for 6 channels (all I use) of music is just no longer making sense to me...
BEFORE your subscription expires call to cancel and request Sirius ONLY contact you via snail mail...or be prepared for an onslaught of phone calls from the 4 corners of the globe.

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
544 Posts
BEFORE your subscription expires call to cancel and request Sirius ONLY contact you via snail mail...or be prepared for an onslaught of phone calls from the 4 corners of the globe.
Indeed on my list to do and only if I can have 6 months for 25 will I perhaps reconsider... Phone calls don't much bother me as my phone is always on silent, plus I never answer unless I recognize the caller. I then Google the number to see who it was and add them to the block list...

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I'm actually in the other boat w/ a an extended height topper. I 'should' install a taller antenna to provide some pre-input as to clearance issues. As it is now, I only have a couple/few inches to spare when pulling into my garage. Riderite airbags raise my height especially when unloaded & before airing down.
Where to get a taller antenna of the correct height??

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I bought a stubby antenna for appearance purposes. I knew the reception was going to be worse than the stock one. I use my Sirius radio anyway. Bought a lifetime subscription back in 2005, so it is paying for its self time and time again.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts

/rant
Who cares, it's your truck, if you like the OEM then leave it. If another person suggests to change to a stubby, just say, "I don't want to." If they insist, then just say, "...then you buy a stubby and change my antenna."

Plus I agree with you, stock antennas for checking clearance is probably a better bet than smashing the roof into a concrete parking structure. There's some in L.A. that get really close to my Firestik (albeit I am lifted 3.5")... but I'd hate to be that person with a stubby that drives into the structure only to involuntarily "shave" their roof rack off LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought one of those 8.5' Steel CB Whip Antennas and put it in place of my radio antenna, didn't even loop it back down to the bed of my truck, just let it swing through the air smacking as much stuff as I can. Heck, I can reach a bridge overpass on some roads. Nothing like the clang of a steel whip hitting a bridge at 70 mph to wake you up.

OK, just kidding. I've never paid attention to the antenna on a truck and never had anyone ask why I haven't switched from factory to stubby antenna.

I'm rarely in a parking garage though and live in pretty open country, so it never seems to be an issue here.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
why do you care what the these people think?
ohh because they are paying your loan payment...(sarcasm)

I run stock antenna and if I change it, it is my decision not some person with mouth diarrhea

·
Registered
364 Posts
why do you care what the these people think?
ohh because they are paying your loan payment...(sarcasm)

I run stock antenna and if I change it, it is my decision not some person with mouth diarrhea

Sooo... you log onto at least THIS forum and post over 600 times because you don't care what
anyone else thinks. Got it. ::wink::

I stuck with the stock antenna BTW, stubby seemed like a downgrade to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts