Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Fronty 3.3V6: recently I have noticed a slight hesitation or hiccup, along with a little audible click, when driving down the highway.
This only seems to happen when the AC is on and the fan is on.
If AC is off but fan on: no hiccup.
If fan is off but AC on: no hiccup.
If both are off: no hiccup.
If both are on: hiccup / mild brief hesitation., and the click.
This happens at roughly every 45 seconds while doing any speed between 45 and 65. (I haven't tried it at 150mph+.)

AC blows cold, fan works fine at all speeds.

I will say that I've thought I noticed a faint odor of coolant a couple times earlier this year, but that may be totally unrelated. Or not. IDK.

Any ideas on what it might be? I've searched through the archive of posts here and haven't seen anything discussing this particular thing.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
This only seems to happen when the AC is on and the fan is on.
If AC is off but fan on: no hiccup.
If fan is off but AC on: no hiccup.
Is this fan you mention the blower fan? Because the AC will only work if this is switched on too. The engine cooling fan on a 1999 V6 is driven by fan belt - right, like on my daughter's 1998 V6 Pathfinder???

Sounds to me like what you're feeling and hearing is the engagement of the AC clutch.

Reactions: butterman2473

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Cusser. Yes, the blower fan is the fan I am referring to in my post. And yes, it is probably IS the A/C clutch engaging, like you suggested.
What baffles me is why, after driving it for 70,000 miles, I've never heard or felt it do that before.

It's not like I suddenly became more sensitized to engine sounds and/or vehicle noises. It's something that is occurring now but never has before, and I wonder if it is indicative of upcoming A/C clutch failure, or something else?
Sounds like it's time to grab my Haynes Manual and learn more about that system, and possibly do some trouble-shooting. Normally I don't have to look for trouble, it somehow finds me anyway. o_O

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
When the AC compressor on my 2004 Frontier seized last September at 102K miles, there was no advance warning of any kind.

I don't think you need to worry about your truck because of this. I can sometimes feel my 1998 Frontier 4-cylinder doing this, and it's at 240K and factory compressor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts