Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, guys, I need some help. I have a 2003 Nissan Frontier 3.3 XE with an “oddball” rear differential. It's an open diff with an 8 bolt setup. The fill plug is seized in the rear cover so I ordered a ballistic Fabrication cover and found out it was from the updated 8 bolt and wouldn't fit. I returned the BF diff cover and kinda forgot about it. Yesterday I was under my truck and saw gear oil all over the gas tank and front of the diff. I'm thinking it's a pinion seal. Also, the rear diff looks to be rotting.
**Does anyone know where I can get the rear diff cover? All the ones I have found look correct but are for the 2005+ model.
Also, I've always wanted a limited-slip differential but didn't have a reason to upgrade.
**What do I need to do to get it ready for an LSD rear end swap and what diff am I looking for?

Please let me know what you think! Thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Why not pull a rear end and axle out of another Frontier. You can swap the rear end only as well i believe. Unbolt it and pull it out. You'll have to slide you axle tubes out about an inch to get the rear end off. You can get the rear end out of an Xterra as well. Pick one that has LSD. Depending on where you're at the Junkyards are full of Xterras.

Just noticed you have the CA46 axle code which is a C200 Rear End. I think that one is a rarity iirc. Some late model 1st Gen Xterra n Frontier have that axle but the VAST majority do not. Most will have the HG46 and HG49 Axle Code with the H233B Rear and 4x4's will have the R200 up front which has the C200 Gearing.

I"ve seen youtube video where these guys cracked open a 4x4 R200, took the gears and pinion out, and fixed their C200 axle in some Nissan Car that used the 200 gears and pinion.

Idk, it gets tricky. Your best bet would be to get the rear end and axle out of a junkyard Frontier imo. The Gear ratio and axle code shouldn't matter. Any Frontier Rear Axle out of a V6 should work just fine. The 4 Banger Axles are a little different where the Yoke is but any v6 Frontier axle should just be plug and play. If you're 2wd make sure you get one from a 2wd as the spring perches are different ont the 4x4's. AND if you're 4x4 your front and rear gear ratio MUST Be the same. I don't think Xterra Axles will work but the rear ends will.

You should read up on this Sticky about axle codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not pull a rear end and axle out of another Frontier. You can swap the rear end only as well i believe. Unbolt it and pull it out. You'll have to slide you axle tubes out about an inch to get the rear end off. You can get the rear end out of an Xterra as well. Pick one that has LSD. Depending on where you're at the Junkyards are full of Xterras.

Just noticed you have the CA46 axle code which is a C200 Rear End. I think that one is a rarity iirc. Some late model 1st Gen Xterra n Frontier have that axle but the VAST majority do not. Most will have the HG46 and HG49 Axle Code with the H233B Rear and 4x4's will have the R200 up front which has the C200 Gearing.

I"ve seen youtube video where these guys cracked open a 4x4 R200, took the gears and pinion out, and fixed their C200 axle in some Nissan Car that used the 200 gears and pinion.

Idk, it gets tricky. Your best bet would be to get the rear end and axle out of a junkyard Frontier imo. The Gear ratio and axle code shouldn't matter. Any Frontier Rear Axle out of a V6 should work just fine. The 4 Banger Axles are a little different where the Yoke is but any v6 Frontier axle should just be plug and play. If you're 2wd make sure you get one from a 2wd as the spring perches are different ont the 4x4's. AND if you're 4x4 your front and rear gear ratio MUST Be the same. I don't think Xterra Axles will work but the rear ends will.

You should read up on this Sticky about axle codes.

Yeah, so I'm looking for a used LSD in the junkyard like you said. The only thing is I want one in decent condition and living in upstate NY makes that difficult. Good point on the gear ratios... I almost overlooked that 😅. In the meantime, I've been replacing the pinion seal, rear diff cover(was more solid than I thought), and 2 of the 3 u joints just to get my by. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the thread on axle codes. 🙂

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ok Cool. Yeah you have a 4.6 Gear Ratio but with that Funky Axle Code and Again, you could throw the 4.9 Gear ratio back there too but you'd probly have to get the whole axle. Only thing that'll be affected by changing gear ratios is your Speedometer

As far as LSD's for our trucks. From what i understand, around 2002 the LSD's went to shyt with like 40lbs of break away torque which is nothing. The 2000 has around 120-150lbs of break away. Mid 90's if you can find one is where its at. The 95 Pathfinder had like 300+lbs of breakaway. I wouldn't be surprised if they used that rear end in the Pathfinders as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if a 90's Nissan Hardbody had a stellar LSD too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts