Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone noticest much difference on performance on the fuel they use.
australian standard unleaded is 91+ ron i have been using premium 98+ ron fuel, but last tank i used was standard & since refueling with premium noticed performance is better
& slitely better fuel economy.
i manly use premium because it i a cleaner more refined fuel better for fuel injectors

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was actually wondering the same thing.
I know our vehicles are designed to run on 87 but what would a higher octane do?
I think higher octanes are supposed to burn cooler, or am I wrong?
I just filled up with the mid grade here in ks, 89, and I think I am getting a little better feul economy. Or is that just my hopeful wishing for paying $53 dollars for a tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the variable timing should adjust to the fuel you use so it should run better on a higher octane?
i dont think it makes much diference to fuel economy it cost about $4 a tank full extra.
what octane rating can you get in the states? we can get 101+ octain & i saw one fuel supplier had 110+

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
There must be a different anit-knock standard in Australia. Standard grade is 87 octane which I believe is a blend of motor and research octane. Mid grade is 89 and hi test is 91or 93 octance. If we focus on 87 octane gas, we can estimate tht the research octane is 95. Your numbers of 110 are much higher.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
110+ ron fuel is a high octane fuel for racing it can only be purchased in drums (bp racing 100)
but other fuels available at the pump range from 91-101
i was just wondering if it makes a difference or nobody bothers.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Why do you do it then?

·
Registered
149 Posts
To quote myself:

Higher octane fuel is harder to ignite. Always use the lowest octane fuel possible. Higher octane fuels are not better; they simply have higher octane levels. If your engine is designed to run on 87 and you pump in Sunoco Ultra94 - you will likely LOSE power as the engine has difficulties trying to properly burn the 94 octane fuel.

Normally higher octane fuels are reserved for engines with high compression (be it NA, SC or Turbo) or to compensate for an older engine's problems (carbon deposits etc...). If you buy higher octane fuel than you need to: you're wasting your money. But hey - it's your money to waste, right?

Also notable: North America uses (RON+MON)/2 (also known as PON = Pump Octane Number) which will give you a lower number than RON (Research Octane Number) alone. Your 91 octane fuel is equivalent to our 87 octane. Europe uses RON as well.

But my owners manual does claim that 91 will provide improved performance. Likely the engine is designed for 91 but will run on 87 just fine. To me: I'm happy using 87. (RON+MON)/2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts