Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Occarional 4wd use?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  PIMPaLiCiOuS 
#1 ·
Hi all..
As I have mentioned in previous posts, my '05 Fronty is the fisrt truck that I've ever owned (can't see myself EVER going back to a car now!).
When I was a kid, we had an early 80's GMC Jimmy 4X4, and Iremember my Dad would occasionally lock the front hubs, and drive around with the truck in 4wd for a while...even in good road conditions. He told me it was to keep the transfer case lubed up, because since we didn't use 4wd that much, it didn't get much action (or agitation).
I have confirmed that theory with a few of my mechanic friends, but it got me wondering...
Is this type of thing still necessary with a 21st Century technology 4X4?
If I'm not going to be using the 4wd that often, is it still necessary and/or needed to run it in 4wd for a few miles??

Thanks

#3 ·
It's only a true for locking hubs.That way the bearing stay lubed. Your transfer case is stil working in 2wd. :wink:

#5 ·
No locking hubs. Just stright axles bolts to the hub. Most 4x4 I know do use them anymore. That why you can engage while you are driving. Car compacy use to think it would save on gas milage. Also it was a weak link inthe system.

#7 ·
So someone wants to sell you something on the internet that you don't need....Can we contact the authorties?

#10 ·
4wd

I drive on farm roads quite often. Bad "roads" mostly dirt, mud, trees fall on them, etc. However, I know the trucks limits. No 5ft creeks. I have a stock frontier driveline. I'll put the stock nissan up against anything stock on the market. I've had to pull out jeeps, trucks and even a suburban. Good idea to drive it in 4wd now and then to make sure it works.

#11 ·
Good to know...thanks for the info folks. A lot of people tell me that I should run my car in 4wd every now and then, I guess they learned it from the locking hub days...regardless I hope I can go 4bying soon!

Another question, is it bad to run in 4wd on regular pavement? I've heard that can damage your car...Might have been soemthing to do with turning?

#12 ·
Just my $0.02 but I'm of the opinion that you should engage/disengage the 4WD every now and then. It's true that everything is still spinning when traveling down the road, but there's still some parts in the transfer case need to move in order to engage/disengage the 4WD system. Not utilizing these parts at least periodically could possibly allow them to "set". So, I personally put the vehicle in 4WD and even 4WD-Lo about once every month or so.

Concerning driving on pavement - it's really not a good idea unless you're going in a straight (or mostly straight) line. To see for yourself, engage the 4WD in a parking lot and make a sharp turn. You'll hear and feel the front tires fighting each other. Not a problem if you're on loose terrain, but on concrete it's putting some stress on the driveline/steering.

-Scope

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
ScopeTx said:
Just my $0.02 but I'm of the opinion that you should engage/disengage the 4WD every now and then. It's true that everything is still spinning when traveling down the road, but there's still some parts in the transfer case need to move in order to engage/disengage the 4WD system. Not utilizing these parts at least periodically could possibly allow them to "set". So, I personally put the vehicle in 4WD and even 4WD-Lo about once every month or so.

Concerning driving on pavement - it's really not a good idea unless you're going in a straight (or mostly straight) line. To see for yourself, engage the 4WD in a parking lot and make a sharp turn. You'll hear and feel the front tires fighting each other. Not a problem if you're on loose terrain, but on concrete it's putting some stress on the driveline/steering.

-Scope

yup right on the money! it isnt good. you shouldnt ever do it, causes a lot of stress, and just isnt worth it. and also you can turn worth a s#!t! you will never make it in a tight parking space lol.

#15 ·
If kilago is saying he is a n00b at 4x4s, than I am a super n00b. Obviously, look at my current sig pic.

Just a common sense question on my part, but don't the vehicle manuals themselves state any of the things being said on this post? I think it would behoove manufacturer's to do so. Unless they think there is no way in hell a person who has never driven a 4x4 will ever buy a 4x4. That's just crazy talk!!!! :D :lol: :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.