Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I find out what are the normal readings for when I use my scan tool. Like voltages for different sensors.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not possible as far as I know. Every diagnostic I've seen is you do a scan for codes then take sensor and check with multi-meter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mike...Welcome to ClubFrontier. Judging from your Registry & posts, it looks like you just joined. Is this your first Frontier? Are you mechanically inclined or a novice when it comes to diagnostics & repairs? Tell us a little about yourself & your scan tool. There are many different kinds available on the market - some very simple that can read & display Vehicle Diagnostic Codes to the complex expensive-as-hell, (depending on your income), multi-directional tools that can "talk" to your car & can test / display all kinds of crazy information from your car. Depending on your model year Frontier, you should be able to find & download a Factory Service Manual here from CF, (use the Search Function), or from the Internet. A Factory Service Manual should be able to provide the "readings" & test proceduces for all the different sensors on your truck.

Are you using your scan tool just to learn about your Frontier or are you trying to troubleshoot / repair an issue on your Frontier now??? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike...Welcome to ClubFrontier. Judging from your Registry & posts, it looks like you just joined. Is this your first Frontier? Are you mechanically inclined or a novice when it comes to diagnostics & repairs? Tell us a little about yourself & your scan tool. There are many different kinds available on the market - some very simple that can read & display Vehicle Diagnostic Codes to the complex expensive-as-hell, (depending on your income), multi-directional tools that can "talk" to your car & can test / display all kinds of crazy information from your car. Depending on your model year Frontier, you should be able to find & download a Factory Service Manual here from CF, (use the Search Function), or from the Internet. A Factory Service Manual should be able to provide the "readings" & test proceduces for all the different sensors on your truck.

Are you using your scan tool just to learn about your Frontier or are you trying to troubleshoot / repair an issue on your Frontier now??? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear back from you soon.
I am not a mechanic by no means but have been working on vehicles for the past 30 years repairing what I can. This is my first time owning a scan tool that can read live data. I have a Launch 129e scan tool.
The problem I am having is I keep getting CAT faults on both side (P0420 and P0430) but have replaced both CATS about a year ago. The faults went away for a while then they came back. The live data on my O2 sensors don't seem to be switching like they should. Thinking that might be the issue giving me CAT issues. Since I have never seen live data not sure if what I am seeing is correct.

·
Super Moderator
11,287 Posts
Welcome to the forum, how about a little information about your truck.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Voltage information for sensors is listed in the factory service manual. Most will be in the "Engine Control" section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum, how about a little information about your truck.

Clint
Thank you. It is an 05 Frontier king cab LE 2WD with 215,000 miles. Still going strong. Just want to start building it back up to keep it going a long time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mike...thanks for providing the additional info. I also am NOT a mechanic, but I know enought to be a pain-in-the-*** to mechanics!! I've worked on enough cars, (mine, family members & friends), over the past 40 years that I have a basic idea on how to fix / replace stuff. I'm somewhat familiar with the basic "theory" on how an engine works, but am still learning about all the new fangled gadgets, (sensors & all), that affect the operations of these newer model engines.

Since your '05 Frontier is fuel injected, there are several things that you have to take into consideration for your DTC P0420 & P0430 codes - Catalytic converters working inefficiently. Naturally of course you're first reaction is to consider replacing the front & rear oxygen sensors along with your two catalytic converters, hoping to solve the issue. But one thing I've learned about living in California & the dreaded California Air Resources Board, (....MY OPINION....Smog PITA's), with their dreaded bi-annual smog checks, you may want to consider checking out all the other items which affect your air/fuel mixture ratio going into your intake & exiting your motor. An engine running too rich from bad or leaky fuel injectors will surely kill your oxygen sensors AND your catalytic converters.

Since your motor has over 215k miles on it, you may want to check your Mass Air Flow Sensor, Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, Exhaust Gas Recirculating System and your fuel injectors to make sure they are all functioning properly. Doing some simple maintenance like changing out your air filter, spark plugs and your fuel filter along with flushing out your fuel injectors & cleaning out the throttle body to remove carbon buildup inside could possibly help. Also spraying some carb cleaner around your intake / exhaust manifolds and intake / exhaust plumbing / fuel injectors might help you to determine if you have a small air leak around the intake / exhaust which might affect your air / fuel mixtures. When you pull the spark plugs, make sure to replace the intake manifold gaskets with new ones along with checking / replacing your fuel injector gaskets. Check your all your vacuum lines to make sure they are not all old & brittle - replace any cracked or hardened ones you find. Might want to check your fuel pressure regulator and it's vacuum hose to see if it's working properly.

Clint & SMJ are way more knowledgeable than me, (and will correct me if I'm wrong), but hopefully some of the information I've posted will help you to figure out what is causing your DTC P0420 & P0430 codes. These two codes seems common to the 05-20 Frontiers here on the CF board...several people have posted about this problem. Just use the Search Function here to get more ideas on how to repair these DTC's.

Hope this helps
ID

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1623083609213.png
1623084349979.png
Here are the live data from my sensors on BK1 & BK 2. Do they look normal? Speed of vehicle starts around 65 goes to 80 and then stays around 30 if that helps any. TIA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mike....Sorry....I'm not familiar with how your Launch 129E Scan Tool works. Is it possible to read & graph Banks 1 & Banks 2, [BEFORE the Catalytic Converter, (Front O2 Sensors), and AFTER the Catalytic Converter, (REAR 02 Sensors)], on your Launch Scan Tool? If it is, then you should be able to figure out if your Catalytic Converters & your O2 sensors are working properly. See attached Youtube video - (this video shows the Graphing using a Snap-On Scan Tool - the principle should be the same on your Launch Scan tool).

If your Launch Scan tool has graphing capabilities for the O2 sensors, (Bank 1 & Bank 2 - front & rear), then you should be able to see the same results as the Youtube video graphed on your Launch Scan Tool..... Repeat the test TWICE on your Launch Scan Tool....once at regular idle, (750 rpm), and the second at 3,000 rpm. The second test should confirm if the 02 sensors / catalytic converter are working properly or not.

Here's the Youtube link...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank for that. I believe what my tool is calling the air fuel ratio (A/F SEN1) is the front 02 sensor. This is what I can determine from the video and what I can find on the NICOClub frontier files. I will try to do the test you described today and see what happens. Thank you again!
Screenshot_20210611-092222_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts