Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, today i was rotating the tires on my mom's lexus gx470 (2004) and we had her all done an it was my friends job to tighten the lugs on the right rear tire. well he tightened one of them and then we took it for a spin.... felt the weird feeling and knew instantly what happened...

well atleast the tire didnt come off but i blame myself for not checking it. Well we stopped and jacked it up, tightened the lugs but the on of them got cross threaded big time. i cranked on it and snap! broke the thread off :(

still have 5 lugs on so its ok for now but what can i do?

please help!!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
remove the caliper and rotor and you will be able to replace the stud.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
then do i punch it out? where do i get a new thread? do i have to remove the axle(i just read that on a toyota forum)?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
You need to remove the wheel, caliper, rotor and then see if you can see the back side of the stud. If you can, you don't have to remove the axle or anything. You can then do the DIY punch out method or if it is a simple hub assembly, you can remove the hub and bring it to a shop to punch out. Then press in the new lug and re-assemble and you are good to go. You also need a new lug nut too so that the old one doesn't fubar the new stud.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
yeah you use a punch to knock the old one out.
An auto parts should have one a new stud.
Should be enough room to in the new stud.

If you can't get the new stud post some pic's. There always a way to flat rate it.;-)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah, any auto store will have the studs, should be dirt cheap (like $3 a piece). They have a splined end that keeps it from twisting when torquing the lug nuts on. You need a big hammer and lots o banging likely to hit it out, but it is no big deal. Seems like a bigger job than it really is. Fairly simply, just a lot of brute force needed.

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
This is why I do things myself and not trust others. Fortunately for you there was no body damage and no accident with injuries.
If in doubt go to Lexus to get a stud and lug nut. You pound it out but when you reinstall it you push the stud from the back then take a stack of washers and tighten the lug nut until the stud is pulled all the way in and seated fully in back. As long as you're able to remove the rotor you can fix it yourself.

Clint

·
Registered
755 Posts
any auto parts store will, take the old one with you and they can size it. if you don't trust your abilities, then take it to any local shop, they should be able to do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
the lexus dealer is a ways away from my house, you think toyota would have it if autozone didnt?
Toyota is Lexus so yes they should be able to match it.

Clint

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Just to go a little more in depth from clints post.
Take tire off
remove two(2) bolts that hold the caliper on and hang it, dont let it dangle from the brake line
Slide the rotor off and set it aside
From there you should be able to use a small sludge(2.5lb or 5 whatever you got) and give the old stud a few good whacks till it pops out
Slide new stud into place and use a stack of washers as spacers and a regular open ended nut to pull the stud the rest of the way through(impact gun works best)
Slide rotor back on
reinstall caliper with new threadlock on the bolts
put wheel back on and good to go.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i just got back from napa, and they had everything i need! Got a new stud and lug nut ($8.50). Now to try and sneak a repair! hahh thanks everyone for the help once again!
i might do a right up hahah you know for anyone else who screws up a lexus

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
What your friend did is why, you ALWAYS pack your OWN parachute.
Nice that this ends well. Be happy you weren't on a highway.

Clint

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still should have checked it.. Ya well it for sure won't happen again!

By the way the suspension setup on gx470 is awesome! Tons of down travel and 4electronically controlled shocks and airbags

1 - 20 of 24 Posts