Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems im having a common problem with my Pathfinder.

I asked the dealership about this and of course it's not covered. They also said they recommend leaving the car there for at least 24 hrs. to let the glue cure. They couldn't give me a price but said they'd call when it was done.

I've done a little digging around here but havent really found any answers.

Has anyone fixed this themselves?

Dealer costs?

Any help (links, etc...) would be appreciated.

NTB05-015b LINK

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
I would guess they want two hours labor but think it could be done in one hour. Reading the bulletin they say one kit does many trucks so they shouldn't charge for the materials as Nissan doesn't pay them when they do it under warranty. But knowing greed I'll bet they charge for it too.

Clint

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I brought up the problem, the service manager said they'd done one not too long ago, but don't know much about it.

It's the same BS with my A34 maxima, the 5 spd. trannys are dropping like flies (many members on 2-5 trannys) and of course its all news to them... lol

I let them know that im on many maxima forums and know whats going on only to hear I "should stay off the internet".

What a joke.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
ALL manufacturers need to watch Toyota due to they tried for years to deny everything and it's costing them dearly. It costs way more to gain a new customer then to retain the ones you have. Tell them you'll stay off the net if they will step up to the plate and do the right thing when approached with a problem the first time.

Clint

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now what does this sound like? is it loud? Does it come from the Supercharger or what. Need input.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Now what does this sound like? is it loud? Does it come from the Supercharger or what. Need input.
it sounds like a sharp slapping noise coming from the intake, basicly the valve doesnt seat all the way in and you have to re seal it.

i think i might give this a shot myself if the dealer strikes out with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sorry come again, be spacific

is it once every reolution? Are you talking about the intake value? What cylinder. What value? How do you reseat it? Supercharged or not?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
is it once every reolution? Are you talking about the intake value? What cylinder. What value? How do you reseat it? Supercharged or not?
Did you click on the link in the original post? He's not referring to a cylinder valve.

Clint

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just fixed mine 3 weeks ago. TSB recommends using some kind of plastic epoxy. the problem that i ran in to was the price and quantities that that epoxy is sold in. The cheapest I found was from a local hardware store and in small portions. But after doind some more research I just ended up going with grade 3 silicone glue/sealand from 3m (which withstands temperatures of -60F to 500F). as far as cure time, i drove it 3 hours after performing the repair. ever since the repair I drove twice on 400mi trips with no problems.
NOTE: the valve was stuck inside my intake plenum, 2 flathead screwdrivers from either side did the trick.

good luck and let me know if you have any more questions

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just fixed mine 3 weeks ago. TSB recommends using some kind of plastic epoxy. the problem that i ran in to was the price and quantities that that epoxy is sold in. The cheapest I found was from a local hardware store and in small portions. But after doind some more research I just ended up going with grade 3 silicone glue/sealand from 3m (which withstands temperatures of -60F to 500F). as far as cure time, i drove it 3 hours after performing the repair. ever since the repair I drove twice on 400mi trips with no problems.
NOTE: the valve was stuck inside my intake plenum, 2 flathead screwdrivers from either side did the trick.

good luck and let me know if you have any more questions

:thumbup:

Good stuff... Thanks man.

Did you happen to notice any MPG difference once you fixed it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Plentium?

Thanks for that but it does not help. What did you do actualy with the flat head screw drivers? Look I have a supercharger in stead of a plentium. My IACv control unit on the trottle control value has been known to have problems. Just what is it that you fixed? here's a web sight that has a ford that is making the exact same sound. See if that is what you call slapping?
YouTube - 1995 gt with cam and funny noise during idle

Put your PC headphones on and you can hear like a ball bearing that is bad in the background. He said it was the IAC value? What do you think of all this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would anybody be able to provide me with the PDF File for the TSB NTB05-015B? I cannot find it anywhere on the internet and would like to complete this fix on my Frontier. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Plentium?

Thanks for that but it does not help. What did you do actualy with the flat head screw drivers? Look I have a supercharger in stead of a plentium. My IACv control unit on the trottle control value has been known to have problems. Just what is it that you fixed? here's a web sight that has a ford that is making the exact same sound. See if that is what you call slapping?
YouTube - 1995 gt with cam and funny noise during idle

Put your PC headphones on and you can hear like a ball bearing that is bad in the background. He said it was the IAC value? What do you think of all this?
The problem he's referring to and the subsequent bulletin doesn't apply to VG engines. It's for 2005 VQ40DE engines.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Would anybody be able to provide me with the PDF File for the TSB NTB05-015B? I cannot find it anywhere on the internet and would like to complete this fix on my Frontier. Thank you!
It's available in the "Knowledge Base" section (Service Bulletins) at NissanHelp.com. You'll probably need to register to access it, but it's free. Search under 2005 Pathfinder, keyword "rattle." FYI, many of the R51 Pathfinder guys at TheNissanPath.com simply replace the VIAS power valve (Nissan P/N: 14510-EA21A) rather than fix it due to the cost of materials. The valve is $55 at NissanPartsDeal.com (plus shipping). The materials on the TSB are more than that because they are meant to service several vehicles. Others have gotten the 3M adhesive and made do without using the applicator, but it still came to half of the price of buying a brand new part.

If you still have problems finding the TSB, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and put "RE: Nissan NTB05-015b" in the subject line and I'll send it to you.

Reactions: 2013Pro4X

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems im having a common problem with my Pathfinder.

I asked the dealership about this and of course it's not covered. They also said they recommend leaving the car there for at least 24 hrs. to let the glue cure. They couldn't give me a price but said they'd call when it was done.

I've done a little digging around here but havent really found any answers.

Has anyone fixed this themselves?

Dealer costs?

Any help (links, etc...) would be appreciated.

NTB05-015b LINK

Thanks
Ok so here’s the deal. Disconnect the vacuum line to it. Cap it and it keeps the valve open in the intake. No power issues no check engine light. It leaves the valve fully open. Problem solved. Trust me. Noise gone for good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts