Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else experience reluctant shifting on their 6spd MT? My'09 has been a bit notchy from new, and now with just over 5K miles on it there has not been an improvement. Occasionally it shifts like butter (or a Honda) but at least half the time I get quite a bit of resistance at the gates. No grinding so I don't think it's internal to the trans. For the skeptics out there I have been driving manuals for 30 years so it's not my technique. Is there an adjustment in the linkage that can be done? Yes I do plan to take it to the dealer but they are 1.5 hours away so it would be nice to give it a shot meself to save some time. Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You can try using the genuine Nissan MTF in it. It made mine feel about 30-40% better than factory

·
Registered
354 Posts
I came from Hondas too and the Frontier is my first truck. I've noticed that if I try to shift it as quickly as I shifted my Hondas, it feels like you have to force it into gear. What I've learned to do is to just relax and shift a bit slower and everything is fine. It's a truck, it's a bit notchy, and it's just not going to feel the same as a Honda no matter what you do. Honestly, the Frontier is a lot easier to shift than my wife's SE-R Spec V is too! I've got over 11,000 miles on my Frontier yet and I don't feel like anything has loosened up or broken in. I'm thinking that it's probably a good thing that it feels just as strong as it did on day 1 with 21 miles on it.

You can try using the genuine Nissan MTF in it. It made mine feel about 30-40% better than factory
Wouldn't that be what they put in it at the factory? I doubt he has changed it within the first 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
... I doubt he has changed it within the first 5,000 miles.
^ an oil change might make it feel better; get that crud out from break-in.(you might be able to convince the dealer to do it for free/warranty)

I wouldn't try different oils in there yet (for warranty issues) but see what the Z guys are doin' as far a smooth(er) gear oils.

G/L.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I think I will go ahead and get it to the dealer in the next couple of weeks for an oil change anyway and have them look at it.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I put in the best; Amsoil, and it still feels the same to me. I think you'll just have to live with it. If they charge you, don't do it. A quart by itself is like $23 and i don't think thats synthetic.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Wouldn't that be what they put in it at the factory? I doubt he has changed it within the first 5,000 miles.
They do not use this from the factory. If serviced at the dealer, the dealer is supposed to use it though.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
There is no way that the factory fill of tranny fluid is anything but OEM. It's not the fluid.

Try an experiment of double clutching which in essence does the work of the synchros. If this resolves the issue than it means the synchros are balky.

Any way, it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in your future.

FWIW, I do not have the same issues as you have described.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I put in the best; Amsoil, and it still feels the same to me. I think you'll just have to live with it. If they charge you, don't do it. A quart by itself is like $23 and i don't think thats synthetic.
I put in Amsoil too and it helped a little. It's not too bad but not as good as it could be.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It's just the nature of the beast. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my truck also, but you get use to it. Our rev's take so long to drop between shifts anyways, so there is plenty of time to make a nice easy throw.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I hate that slow drop in RPMs though. If I'm in a hurry, I'd like to be able to shift quickly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
To Be Honesst Thats More Than Likely Normal And Exactly What They Will Tell You. Thats Just How The Frontier Is... The Trans Are Choppy Feeling Some People Dont Consider It Choppy Some Do...but It Definitely Is

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been thinking about this and I've also noticed that mine shifts smoother if I run the RPMs out a little more than normal in 1st and 2nd. It's a big, tourquey truck motor, so I tend to upshift at really low RPMs, but if I hold the gears a little longer, it tends to go in a bit smoother. I'm not talking about foot to the floor and 5,000, just partial throttle, drive like normal, but hold the gears a couple seconds longer. See if that does anything for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I thought too, and believe me I have tried every combination of engine rpm, slow vs fast shifting, full vs partial throttle etc to figure out a pattern. Like I said the bothersome thing is that sometimes it shifts beautifully at any speed/rpm and others it needs such a firm push that I nearly miss the gate. I still think that the linkage itself might need lube/adjustment if there is one and I am hoping the dealer has enough experience to understand what I am talking about. One of the problems nowadays is that there are so few manual tranny vehicles around that things like this may be dismissed as normal at the service dept because they don't know better.

I've been thinking about this and I've also noticed that mine shifts smoother if I run the RPMs out a little more than normal in 1st and 2nd. It's a big, tourquey truck motor, so I tend to upshift at really low RPMs, but if I hold the gears a little longer, it tends to go in a bit smoother. I'm not talking about foot to the floor and 5,000, just partial throttle, drive like normal, but hold the gears a couple seconds longer. See if that does anything for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And here I thought I was just having issues getting used to a 6sp pattern vs 5sp. Usually it's third gear that gives me issues, I'll have to pay attention to rpms to see if they make a difference.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
This works ^ Good call. I usually shift at around 2k-2.5k rpm, and if i hold it to at least 3k, it shifts easier.

Yes, the Amsoil helped somewhat, but not enough. I've only ran it for 5k miles so far, and it's doin' its job. The Tranny oil they sell at the dealer could be better, who knows, i won't be trying it, especially at $23 a quart. I'm not too annoyed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with BlackTiger SE. In my 05 SE I've changed to Nissan MTF and with 26K
now on the odo...it is shifting smoother. And to shift at 3K instead of the usual
2200 RPMs, it does engage better.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Just another reply in agreement to the shifting at a higher RPM. I was shifting at 2000 - 2500, which is fine if you've got some traffic in front of you. But lately I've been winding it to 3000 before shifting and it definitely shifts easier. Smoothest shifting I've experienced is when I really stand on it and run up through the gears quickly.

I have also noticed the shift from 2nd to 3rd is the trickiest one to find the RPM the truck likes best.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 07 shifts great at any speed, so I can't help here. That said, my Bro in law has an 05 Taco, and it shifts like a 1 ton ford and it has since day one. SO if it is a little sticky...it's still better than a tacoma

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My 07 shifts great at any speed, so I can't help here. ...
My '06 shifts great too -- no complaints. I tend to shift at low RPMs, but it seems to be happy at any shift point. Factory fill in gearbox.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts