Nissan Frontier Forum banner

221 - 240 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think the 1-2 shift issue could be solved via software.
I don't think there is an issue. Any rough shifting there disappeared on mine very quick. I am now at 4250 miles. Bought new end of November 2020. As I said in another post, either I have gotten used to it or the transmission has learned my driving habits. I just don't notice my transmission at all any more in my daily driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Hello, my name is shift_R...and I'm a manual transmission addict. 😐🤨😬👹
That’s awesome, I’m right there with you too, I have one in my Jeep, Mustang GT and Challenger too. I miss my manual Frontier a lot.
What a wonderful addiction and hope you never get help for it. Go row some gears!

Clint

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
1 Posts
This January i decided to purchase a new pickup to replace my 2014 Tacoma I gave to my son. The Tacoma is in great shape with the 2.7 L 4 cylinder with 5 speed standard transmission. I test drove several new Tacomas with the 2.7L auto, which is way underpowered with the larger Tacoma 3rd generation body. The Tacoma 6 cylinder was ok but i was disappointed with the power and ride plus a standard trans was not an option. I drove the Ford Ranger with the 4 cylinder turbo and 10 speed trans. The body and features are nice on the Ford but the chunkiness of the engine and the 10 speed was extremely uncomfortable. Seems no one offers a standard these days. I then test drive the 2020 Frontier. I was surprised at the power of the new 6. For some reason the Frontier transmission I test drove seemed smooth. Based on my previous discontent with the Tacoma and Ford I purchased the Frontier. On my first drive away from the lot I then felt the issue with the shifting of the lower gears. I was really disappointed. I almost decided to bring the truck back and take what ever lose it would take in the return. I knew I had to drive a long cross country trip and thought it may work itself out. After now having over 7000 miles on the truck I am pleased to say that the lower gear issue has greatly subsided. I do get a rare in first to second bump but overall the transmission has smoothed out. My advise to anyone unsure on the chunkiness of the lower gears try waiting it out. At least in my case the transmission definitely got better. Additionally the other makes are underpowered and have their own transmission issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
This January i decided to purchase a new pickup to replace my 2014 Tacoma I gave to my son. The Tacoma is in great shape with the 2.7 L 4 cylinder with 5 speed standard transmission. I test drove several new Tacomas with the 2.7L auto, which is way underpowered with the larger Tacoma 3rd generation body. The Tacoma 6 cylinder was ok but i was disappointed with the power and ride plus a standard trans was not an option. I drove the Ford Ranger with the 4 cylinder turbo and 10 speed trans. The body and features are nice on the Ford but the chunkiness of the engine and the 10 speed was extremely uncomfortable. Seems no one offers a standard these days. I then test drive the 2020 Frontier. I was surprised at the power of the new 6. For some reason the Frontier transmission I test drove seemed smooth. Based on my previous discontent with the Tacoma and Ford I purchased the Frontier. On my first drive away from the lot I then felt the issue with the shifting of the lower gears. I was really disappointed. I almost decided to bring the truck back and take what ever lose it would take in the return. I knew I had to drive a long cross country trip and thought it may work itself out. After now having over 7000 miles on the truck I am pleased to say that the lower gear issue has greatly subsided. I do get a rare in first to second bump but overall the transmission has smoothed out. My advise to anyone unsure on the chunkiness of the lower gears try waiting it out. At least in my case the transmission definitely got better. Additionally the other makes are underpowered and have their own transmission issues.

my 9 speed has functioned well since new, I traded a silverado six speed clunking machine so it couldnt be outdone lol, if we go very light the 2 low gears are a little lurchy nut if we press the throttle a little its smooth and good.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
160 Posts
I'm glad yours does so. Mine is smooth at times, but often quite harsh 1-2 and 2-3. I'm at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The Tacoma 6 cylinder was ok but i was disappointed with the power and ride plus a standard trans was not an option.
The Tacoma has a standard trans available but only on the TRD Sport, Off Road, and Pro trims. And even then, finding one on a dealer lot is about as common as finding a manual Frontier PRO-4X.

The only other new pickup with a manual transmission is the Jeep Gladiator.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
160 Posts
The Tacoma has a standard trans available but only on the TRD Sport, Off Road, and Pro trims. And even then, finding one on a dealer lot is about as common as finding a manual Frontier PRO-4X.

The only other new pickup with a manual transmission is the Jeep Gladiator.
You won't find any 2020/21 Pro-4X manuals as they are not even made that way....

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
68 Posts
If anyone has these major clunking 9 speeds, can you take a video of it so we see what's going on? I've seen people describe that it sounds and feels like there's a basketball bouncing off the cab, I'd love to see what that looks and sounds like and it definitely doesn't seem normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I might venture that when 9 or 10-speed automatics need rebuilding, cost and reliability issues could just make them throwaways.
I really only know that I don't want one. :confused::confused: That's just me.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You won't find any 2020/21 Pro-4X manuals as they are not even made that way....
It was a tongue-in-cheek statement. Finding a 2020+ Pro-4X manual is literally impossible for the reason you mentioned. Finding a 2019 or older Pro-4X manual was and is very difficult because so few were made.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my 9 speed is a really great operating tranny, I traded an 18 silverado 6 speed clunking machine in for the fronty , test one of them and you will think the 9 speed is a beauty, mash the throttle slightly through 1st and second and itll be smooth

·
Premium Member
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 6MT (2019)
57 Posts
my 9 speed is a really great operating tranny, I traded an 18 silverado 6 speed clunking machine in for the fronty , test one of them and you will think the 9 speed is a beauty, mash the throttle slightly through 1st and second and itll be smooth
That, plus I hear the transmission "learns" your behaviors and adapts pretty well.

I'm usually not a fan of adaptive transmission programming, but with the crazy number of gears modern automatic transmissions sport these days, you almost kind of need it to an extent.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Been reading the posts on the transmission rough shift issue and it is eerily similar to a issue ford had with what was then a new transmission back in 2010. We bought a new 2010 Fusion so I had personal experience with it.
They first tried to correct it with programming, which really didn't work, but a couple of years later discovered it was some defective electrical components in the throttle body sending bad info to the ECU.
The throttle body was originally a $400 part and Ford would not replace it under warranty unless it thru a code which I don't know if any of the vehicles with the issue through a code, ours did not. But we had a reputable dealer who fudged it and got it replaced, problem fixed.

Bottom line is I would not be surprised to find out that it is a programming and/or parts issue.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Been reading the posts on the transmission rough shift issue and it is eerily similar to a issue ford had with what was then a new transmission back in 2010.
This is not a new transmission. This is a Mercedes 9G-Tronic, manufactured by both Nissan's Jatco and Mercedes, that has been in wide service since 2013. Any major issues would have certainly been worked out by now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, Nissan used the 2020 and 2021 as the "beta test" power train years hoping to iron out any issues before the all new Frontier. Doubling up with a new DI engine is definitely gonna be a big change! Almost every new powertrain has bugs to work out its first few years so this really isn't a surprise. Most have no issues with it though and it seems to just be a matter of getting used to a new thing. The only thing constant in the car world is change, we have to adapt or get left way behind. In 20 years they'll all be electric anyway.
This.

221 - 240 of 263 Posts