Nissan Frontier Forum banner

201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,969 Posts
I'm no expert and the 2019 is my first one. I bought it with 5000 mi in Jan 2021. I just could not take the chance on the 9-speed. I guess we will see what the future brings!😆
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your truck.
I’m sure the new engine and trans combo is fine but understand the apprehension of some here.

Clint

·
Registered
103 Posts
Want to add, they have been using these plastics on cars and trucks for years, and they are extremely durable. But not so much with trail style impacts. On a 2020 P4X the skids will do their job as well as they can. But on a lower trim without the plates, I'd rather have the stamped steel unit.

These pans are made of the same type of plastic as nearly all modern radiators. The temps, pressures and chemicals they come into contact with are all considered long before we get to break them over rocks. Barring abrupt impacts they should be able to last many years and miles.
and dont forget that most intake manifolds are made of this bakelite plastic and they truly get abused setting on metal endless temp changes and crap new type antifreeze ie dexcool, I always swap any dexcool to prestone the day after warranty is out because its very corrosive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 1500 miles on my 2020 Pro-4X. It does hunt occasionally when light on the foot, in normal driving. It has "smoothed out" since new and think it prob will over time. 1st is very low, which I can appreciate for uphill climbs and such. It's designed for off road so I'm not disappointed in the driving characteristics actually. Nissan today in the reveal of the new Pathfinder and Frontier both have the same trans. Hoping they've done the RND and know it's a good fit for both.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sold my old Frontier with over 200,000 on it, it was a good truck, had its issues though. Well, I decided I would buy the 2020 midnight and hold on to as much of the old as possible. Big mistake so far. The transmission in this truck leaves little to be desired. Many times it can't seem to figure out what gear to be in. 1st and 2nd gear, so close and just slammy. Get a clunk at that forty miles per hour mark when adding some power. For the life of me , I can't figure why they went with this Daimler 9g tronic transmission. I mean, these are 4 wheel drive vehicles, Plastic transmission oil pan? Really. Don't even ask about changing the oil on it. Its PHD stuff with proprietary tools. You have to change the whole thing out by the way and its not too cheap either and then it has to be reset, dealer only option.
I have had my 2020 for 5 months and 3,000 miles and have not had any problems as you describe. Maybe I am just not noticing the differences between the old drivetrain and the new one because I went to an automatic after two manual VW's, but so far everything works very well on my 2020 Frontier. It is becoming a trend in new vehicles to not have a dipstick or standard drain on automatics. Like many new models, they want to discourage the do-it-yourselfer and force owners to have to use dealer service department$. Nevertheless, I am pleased with the purchase, and now more so having seen the 2022 reveal.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV King Cab 2WD
11 Posts
I have had my 2020 for 5 months and 3,000 miles and have not had any problems as you describe. Maybe I am just not noticing the differences between the old drivetrain and the new one because I went to an automatic after two manual VW's, but so far everything works very well on my 2020 Frontier. It is becoming a trend in new vehicles to not have a dipstick or standard drain on automatics. Like many new models, they want to discourage the do-it-yourselfer and force owners to have to use dealer service department$. Nevertheless, I am pleased with the purchase, and now more so having seen the 2022 reveal.
I agree. I've had my (2020 Frontier SV 2WD King Cab) for 2 weeks, and have not experianced any of the transmission issues others have. This is my first automatic truck and maybe I don't have any experiance with them, but I really am impressed. Now when I went to the dealer to take my first test drive, they only had a 4WD for me to demo. There were some problems with abrupt un smoothe shifts which I thought odd. Then, later while visiting another dealer, I drove a demo 2WD which was very smooth.
So, maybe it's hit or miss. My advice is to test drive your truck for at least 30 min before you pull the trigger to be sure there are no issues.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The new 3.8 V6 is DIRECT INJECTION ONLY. There is absolutely no port injection on this motor. I don’t know who told you it also comes with port, but they’re dead *** wrong.

The dealers refers to the 3.8L as the Pentastar? The engine from Fiat-Chrysler? Dude you need to find a new dealer. He is totally full of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sold my old Frontier with over 200,000 on it, it was a good truck, had its issues though. Well, I decided I would buy the 2020 midnight and hold on to as much of the old as possible. Big mistake so far. The transmission in this truck leaves little to be desired. Many times it can't seem to figure out what gear to be in. 1st and 2nd gear, so close and just slammy. Get a clunk at that forty miles per hour mark when adding some power. For the life of me , I can't figure why they went with this Daimler 9g tronic transmission. I mean, these are 4 wheel drive vehicles, Plastic transmission oil pan? Really. Don't even ask about changing the oil on it. Its PHD stuff with proprietary tools. You have to change the whole thing out by the way and its not too cheap either and then it has to be reset, dealer only option.
Maybe I'm old. Wait, I am old. Can we get Nissan, and every other manufacturer, to give us a manual option, please?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will continue to absolutely love my 2016 King Cab with it's wonderful and tough automatic transmission! The new truck looks great, but my truck does also.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Maybe I'm old. Wait, I am old. Can we get Nissan, and every other manufacturer, to give us a manual option, please?
The problem is that the manual does not offer the mileage advantage it once did. It takes money to certify a drivetrain with a manual. Nissan is low on bucks so don't look to them. Those who drive a manual can do so without thinking. But the learning curve is steep. Too steep for the youngsters.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,096 Posts
The problem is that the manual does not offer the mileage advantage it once did. It takes money to certify a drivetrain with a manual. Nissan is low on bucks so don't look to them. Those who drive a manual can do so without thinking. But the learning curve is steep. Too steep for the youngsters.
i think you hit the nail on the head - manual transmissions aren't any more efficient MPG wise any more, but they likely cost much less to make, and we know they're much more reliable. North America is the only place where automatics are hugely the majority. I think it's just the culture - we want bigger, more comfortable cars that are easier to drive, whereas the rest of the world buys cars that they NEED...

·
Registered
103 Posts
The new 3.8 V6 is DIRECT INJECTION ONLY. There is absolutely no port injection on this motor. I don’t know who told you it also comes with port, but they’re dead *** wrong.

The dealers refers to the 3.8L as the Pentastar? The engine from Fiat-Chrysler? Dude you need to find a new dealer. He is totally full of it.
The dealer didn’t say it is a pentastar the dealer said Chrysler, Nissan, Mercedes Benz all three share technology and get the transmission built at napco and the engine has the exact technology as the pentastar which is because Nissan doesn’t have the funding to go solo, anytime you have that kind of partnership it is a good thing for us consumers, also fiat is a partner and owner of that and fiat is barely making didlly

there is a backflow design for the intake valve carbon issues it does the exact thing port injection did only I don’t know exactly how but my 3.8 was designed by the partnership for Nissan, fiat and Benz and also Chrysler , the 3.8 was designed to last about 300,000 miles and that’s way beyond how long I’ll have it!

·
Super Moderator
10,969 Posts
I’m old and getting older and I’ll take a manual trans all day long, even with my torn meniscus in my left knee. I feel it but still drive the Jeep, Mustang and my Challenger manuals to enjoy the choice. I will get my knee fixed still.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
10,969 Posts
I drive manuals out of the enjoyment aspect of it, I’m not driving them for fuel mileage. It’s more likely since it can’t be electronically connected to the exam that there are going away.
I’d never have bought my Challenger in automatic as it gets attached to that crappy MDS engine. When it goes from 8 cylinders to 4 It’s sounds awful. I had a brand (16 miles) new Ram Longhorn as a loaner while the Jeep was in for service and it wasn’t pleasant so I am
So happy Nissan doesn’t use that technology.

Clint

·
Registered
284 Posts
I drive manuals out of the enjoyment aspect of it, I’m not driving them for fuel mileage. It’s more likely since it can’t be electronically connected to the exam that there are going away.
I’d never have bought my Challenger in automatic as it gets attached to that crappy MDS engine. When it goes from 8 cylinders to 4 It’s sounds awful. I had a brand (16 miles) new Ram Longhorn as a loaner while the Jeep was in for service and it wasn’t pleasant so I am
So happy Nissan doesn’t use that technology.

Clint
I too drove manuals for enjoyment and the connected feeling. My biggest complaint with automatics is they are never in the right gear entering/coming out of corners in spirited driving or just daily driving for me; in Colorado with hills I want the transmission to hold the speed rather than brakes coming down the mountain etc. Oh but what about paddle shifters etc you say? I say just give me a manual then.....
I'm going to give my new 9sp a chance, I really wish they would update the manual to an 8 speed, crawling gear first, good tall overdrive for eighth and the beloved 6 in between that. But fat chance due to govt mandates.

·
Super Moderator
10,969 Posts
I too drove manuals for enjoyment and the connected feeling. My biggest complaint with automatics is they are never in the right gear entering/coming out of corners in spirited driving or just daily driving for me; in Colorado with hills I want the transmission to hold the speed rather than brakes coming down the mountain etc. Oh but what about paddle shifters etc you say? I say just give me a manual then.....
I'm going to give my new 9sp a chance, I really wish they would update the manual to an 8 speed, crawling gear first, good tall overdrive for eighth and the beloved 6 in between that. But fat chance due to govt mandates.
If you’re going to use paddle shifters to manually shift an automatic, why buy the automatic in the first place.

Clint

Reactions: RamTest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, after reading through all 217 posts, and separating the facts from fiction, I concluded that the 2020 Frontier rollout is no different than any other new/improved auto. Its all in the roll of the dice. One thing is certain, there will always be a price to pay for new technology. Transmissions will require maintenance (major dollars if out of warranty). I think the 1-2 shift issue could be solved via software. Plastic pans are the future especially on such high tech gear boxes. To protect them going to need 3/8" rock crawling bash plates installed. Cost prohibitive to make out of metal? DI engines don't seem to have a good track record (more high mileage repair?). I experienced, first hand, the perils of first year release. Bought a 2015 Jeep Trail Hawk and spent the next 4 years getting to know my service advisor really well. Between software, engine mounts, brake and cooling fan updates I happily said farewell to Jeep and got a used 2019 CC. While most owners got fantastic driving cars, I did not fare as well....luck of the draw. Would I like a newer Frontier with 300+ horses and tranny to match....love to....but I think I will sit this one out till 2023, and stick with a tried and proven chassis/engine/tranny combo. Just think, a year from now, we can all read about the new body, frame and fit issues! Just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Enjoy that glorious 6 speed trans, I really miss mine. Too bad that choice was taken away as time goes forward.
The one part about this situation is the new trans requires a different driving technique, press the pedal more deliberately (not kill it) and it will shift just fine, if you go too easy it hangs on the gear longer than you’d want so that little bit more on the pedal and it’s all fine, you’re not over accelerating you’re just adapting to this new trans. I’m not having any problems now but when I first traded trucks I was a bit concerned.
It would be helpful if the salesman said you’ll find a little difference in shifting and try it this way and see how nice it is. They just gave me the keys and said see you later, not good in some ways.

Clint
Very True! Totally different way to drive it!

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Hello, my name is shift_R...and I'm a manual transmission addict. 😐🤨😬👹

Reactions: wilddeal20
201 - 220 of 261 Posts