Nissan Frontier Forum banner

181 - 200 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,096 Posts
Someone mentioned the raptor having a plastic pan. Then I have no worries. Let it die already. For 50 more ponies and a manual shift mode, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Someone mentioned the raptor having a plastic pan. Then I have no worries. Let it die already. For 50 more ponies and a manual shift mode, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
It’s fast and fun and at least mine is, so far I’m only getting about 18 mpg but hoping it improves a little after breaking in I only have about 400 miles on mine and it’s 4x4

·
Registered
229 Posts
Glocks have plastic frames that take a beating over and over. It is a cheap but good way to make a light frame. Not exactly classy like a pretty Beretta or 1911 but specialty plastics are working. The plastic pan is fine even though it isn't pretty aluminum.

Tt

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
362 Posts
Glocks have plastic frames that take a beating over and over. It is a cheap but good way to make a light frame. Not exactly classy like a pretty Beretta or 1911 but specialty plastics are working. The plastic pan is fine even though it isn't pretty aluminum.

Tt
When's the last time a Glock hit a rock with the weight of a truck while moving? I have several polymer frame guns and not one needs a skid plate or 4WD. Just saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Nissan Frontier Midnight, This truck is far better than the Honda Ridgeline and Silverado that I had previously, This Nissan is a simple truck, which I think is better, does not have all the systems that fail and are very expensive to repair, The drivability is far superior than the Chevrolet and Honda, So much smoother acceleration and shifting, and a much quieter ride at freeway speeds, If you stay in the throttle the Nissan shifts great, at slow speeds it can be clunky, but not as bad as the Chevrolet, I am very pleased with the Nissan Frontier, Not sure why any one would complain about having a Mercedes-Benz transmission, I think that is a good thing. maybe you should go drive the Chevrolet and see what a bad transmission really is.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
I still don’t get who would take a new truck and beat the snot out of it? If I was to trail ride I’d buy an older rig and dedicate it so when it gets dented or disabled I still had transportation.

Clint

·
Registered
10 Posts
I still don’t get who would take a new truck and beat the snot out of it? If I was to trail ride I’d buy an older rig and dedicate it so when it gets dented or disabled I still had transportation.

Clint
Clint, I agree with you, I would not be off roading a new truck hard, They are too expensive now a days !!, No rock crawling with the new Frontier !

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
584 Posts
Clint, I agree with you, I would not be off roading a new truck hard, They are too expensive now a days !!, No rock crawling with the new Frontier !
The funny thing is you always seem to see the brand new "offroad" trucks and jeeps hitting the trails within the first weekend or two after they purchase them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I went to Moab with my stock 08 nismo when it barely rolled over 5000 miles. I bought it to get outdoors and wheel around in Colorado. I used it as such, it looked as such. I am anal about maintenance and so mechanically it was sound. Otherwise it had character with the dented rear quarter panel and bent trailer connection. I have already bent the new 2020 one too....I love my trucks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I sold my old Frontier with over 200,000 on it, it was a good truck, had its issues though. Well, I decided I would buy the 2020 midnight and hold on to as much of the old as possible. Big mistake so far. The transmission in this truck leaves little to be desired. Many times it can't seem to figure out what gear to be in. 1st and 2nd gear, so close and just slammy. Get a clunk at that forty miles per hour mark when adding some power. For the life of me , I can't figure why they went with this Daimler 9g tronic transmission. I mean, these are 4 wheel drive vehicles, Plastic transmission oil pan? Really. Don't even ask about changing the oil on it. Its PHD stuff with proprietary tools. You have to change the whole thing out by the way and its not too cheap either and then it has to be reset, dealer only option.
That’s just several of the reasons I shopped around and found my low mileage 2018 CC SV.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's not a mercedes-benz transmission. JATCO purchased licensing rights to manufacteur a damiler-benz DESIGN. Nissan(Jatco) has their own model designation, and produces their version which contains some engineering and technology purchased from the German Co.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When's the last time a Glock hit a rock with the weight of a truck while moving? I have several polymer frame guns and not one needs a skid plate or 4WD. Just saying.
here's a true reply, one time during an arrest the glock .40 got ran over by an f250 and recieved light scratches only and it is still completely working, bushmaster is tough as well

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Nissan Frontier Midnight, This truck is far better than the Honda Ridgeline and Silverado that I had previously, This Nissan is a simple truck, which I think is better, does not have all the systems that fail and are very expensive to repair, The drivability is far superior than the Chevrolet and Honda, So much smoother acceleration and shifting, and a much quieter ride at freeway speeds, If you stay in the throttle the Nissan shifts great, at slow speeds it can be clunky, but not as bad as the Chevrolet, I am very pleased with the Nissan Frontier, Not sure why any one would complain about having a Mercedes-Benz transmission, I think that is a good thing. maybe you should go drive the Chevrolet and see what a bad transmission really is.
hello goodwrnc3 I actually traded my 2018 silverado on a 2020 king cab and that 6 speed was a klunker for certain it did that since the day it was new, the truck however was quieter than my anything and so smooth but I hated that transmission this nissan 9 speed is a jewel

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
362 Posts
here's a true reply, one time during an arrest the glock .40 got ran over by an f250 and recieved light scratches only and it is still completely working, bushmaster is tough as well
Being run over and striking a rock on the trail are two different things. We're also comparing a pistol with metal bracing to a hollow pan. It's just not apples to apples. The gun has no bearing whatsoever to the durability of a plastic trans pan.

That's like saying you can microwave Tupperware so the pan will survive running through lava.

Reactions: wilddeal20

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm no expert and the 2019 is my first one. I bought it with 5000 mi in Jan 2021. I just could not take the chance on the 9-speed. I guess we will see what the future brings!😆

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
362 Posts
Being run over and striking a rock on the trail are two different things. We're also comparing a pistol with metal bracing to a hollow pan. It's just not apples to apples. The gun has no bearing whatsoever to the durability of a plastic trans pan.

That's like saying you can microwave Tupperware so the pan will survive running through lava.
Want to add, they have been using these plastics on cars and trucks for years, and they are extremely durable. But not so much with trail style impacts. On a 2020 P4X the skids will do their job as well as they can. But on a lower trim without the plates, I'd rather have the stamped steel unit.

These pans are made of the same type of plastic as nearly all modern radiators. The temps, pressures and chemicals they come into contact with are all considered long before we get to break them over rocks. Barring abrupt impacts they should be able to last many years and miles.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It's not a mercedes-benz transmission. JATCO purchased licensing rights to manufacteur a damiler-benz DESIGN. Nissan(Jatco) has their own model designation, and produces their version which contains some engineering and technology purchased from the German Co.
That's not correct.
It's the Mercedes 9g-Tronic built in a Jatco plant. It's the identical transmission. Jatco, Renault-Nissan, and Mercedes have had joint ventures since 2010, and this transmission is one of them.

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
362 Posts
That's not correct.
It's the Mercedes 9g-Tronic built in a Jatco plant. It's the identical transmission. Jatco, Renault-Nissan, and Mercedes have had joint ventures since 2010, and this transmission is one of them.
You're correct. I believe that the manufacturing end as to where and by who has to do with tariffs and taxes. As in much of the auto industry.

·
Registered
103 Posts

you are correct and glock is tougher than plastic for sure, I will never like my plastic pan but I dont truly think I personally will ever bust it, #1 it sits way up in the frame and even though it is a 4x4 I will never rock or cliffside crawl it unless there's a pot o gold up there then I am going! I basically farm a little and take my grandson to a deserted fishing lake that we now have to carry our stuff a mile back a rough azz place and im excited to drive to the waters edge and set up the tent truck bed style!

181 - 200 of 256 Posts