Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Not sure 06 going into OD

927 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Gopedal 
#1 ·
I have a used 06 with a 4.0 and 5 speed automatic, 1555,000 miles. The truck does have a tow package but I’m not sure it’s factory. Going down a grade the truck will hold back and not free wheel. Is that normal? I’m skeptical that it is shifting into overdrive. I’m running 2,850 rpms at 70 mph. Is that normal?

#3 ·
Thanks, I'm pretty sure there's a problem and it did through a code. I should get it read today. The vehicle is being driven by a family member about 40 miles away. Her car was in an accident so I lent the Frontier to her. I'll post what I find out. I'm hoping it turns out to be a throttle pedal sensor. Really hoping it's that.

#6 ·
Are you saying it’s at 2850 while towing at 70 mph?

#7 ·
No, it’s not towing anything. I need to get it home. I remember my dads frustration when he would come home off the truck he drove and my mother would say “there’s something wrong with that car.” He’d say, “what’s it doing and she’d say, “it’s not running right!” I understand his frustration now.

#12 ·
Well I finally got into the vehicle yesterday. Pulled the transmission codes. 17 blinks - CAN or Controller Area Network. One of the possible causes was a poor ground so I took the two wiring harnass grounds on the drivers side top front of the enging loose and cleaned them and the top of the front chain cover they attach to. Took it for a ride, 60 mph and pushed the OD off button on the shiffter. RPM's went up about 250, pushed it off and they came down about the same amount. Drove it down a grade that she said the car always held back on and it fairly free wheeled picking up speed. I think I got lucky on that one but my troubles are not over. Just about every time you get gas it throws a PO455 code. Usually, if you turn the cap a couple clicks and turn off the code it's good until the next fill up. It also had a PO430 code thrown three times, all after the PO455. I'm going to get a chance to look more closely at that cap and hope it just needs a new one but it has been one thing after another with these darn codes. One at a time I guess. At least I was able to tell my lead foot relative that it's a small pickup, not a racing machine. Keep the RPM's under 2,500 or the speed under 70.

#13 ·
The truck goes into overdrive well now and I cleared the PO455 and PO430 codes. Turned the gas cap about 4 clicks and gave it back to my relative and she called the next day. Told me it ran great until it was warm and she came to a stop light. The idle speed dropped to about 500 and the oil indicator needle dropped to right on the lower line of the gauge. Shortly the PO430 code came on again. I'm not sure if the number 02 sensor is responsible for the drop in rpm at idle or if the drop in idle creates the PO430 code. It's the 2nd sensor, not the fuel ratio sensor. I asked the dealer once before to up the rpms to 750 and the service coordinator told me the vehicle was to be at 650 + or - 50 and the technician wouldn't change the idle setting. I've read a good bit here where others have had this issue. For a while it idled well at 600 and the oil needle stayed right in the middle of the gauge. I've checked out the engine tuners and the Bully Dog in particular but I don't read anywhere that it can change the programmed idle speed yet some say it can. If you have one and have changed your idle speed with it, can you tell me the model of the tuner other than just bully dog? Thanks. I'm wearing out on this machine, one thing after another. New cats on both sides and new fuel ratio sensors but didn't relace the number 2 sensors. I'm open for suggestions. One of which might be take it to a different dealer and let CONSULT tell me why the PO430 and up those idle rpms to 725.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.