Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$3016 and still no fix to VDC/Slip light. Gave up on dealer and went on line looking for help. Found one link with step by step instructions to reset the steering angle with the OBDll. did not know that was possible so will give it a try. Dealer already did it once and steering angle sensor was replaced too. Just Answer web site said they would connect me to a 33 year Nissan mechanic. $20 fee and no reply. Only prompts to upgrade to more expensive faster service, then find out it is a re-occurring monthly charge. Cancelled that. Better off taking chances with the stealers spend money no fix and at least you do not get a re-occurring charge for the no fix. I swear if this thing ever gets fixed it is for sale. I love the truck but it is not worth it for the hassle trying to get the VDC/SLIP light issue fixed. Now I am starting to understand why my father-in-law traded his new nissan with 900 miles in for a ford product.

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
If the dealer took your money after saying those repairs would correct your issues, I'd dispute credit card charges and settle it in court too.

Clint

·
Registered
245 Posts
Our local radio consumer advisor says to make sure the work order gets written up as "repair problem x" instead of "replace part z", not sure that would really make much difference in real life, though.
I wish my industry worked like that- I'll just work on it and run up the bill guessing what could possibly be wrong and you pay the whole tab or I keep your car. I don't know of any good dealer for servicing a vehicle, so once it's out of warranty I'm not going to darken their door. There are good mechanics out there, find a good one and stick with him.

Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
If the dealer took your money after saying those repairs would correct your issues, I'd dispute credit card charges and settle it in court too.

Clint
Agree. I got a refund from GM when they took my money and could not repair the sunroof on our 2005 Yukon (intermittently wouldn't close for days). Dealer said they had "no idea what was wrong". Of course a GM rep saw my thread online and facilitated it; yes, I had specifically said I would pay for a repair, but not for a guess.

GM dealer had replaced the switch twice, wanted to charge me $50 for hazardous waste disposal (NOTHING was disposed of at all, I had asked for my switch back), they took off that charge. Dealer seemed more interested in selling me stuff like radiator hoses (they said mine were original, I had just changed out with water pump 2 months before, hoses still had Gates stickers on them, think they just went by mileage).

I was just about to dispute through credit card company when GM rep contacted me, and refund still took 2 months.

The "fix" - once sunroof was closed, i removed the fuse.

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
The dealer according to all the manufacturers is THEE place to have a car fixed properly but these days it appears they just guess until it's fixed or you run out of money.
There is a huge difference between and old school mechanic with deductive reasoning and a modern day tech who just replaces parts until they hit on the bad one.

Clint

·
Registered
554 Posts
The post does not give enough info on what may have caused the VDC/Slip light to kick on and stay on.

- Road conditions, weather, did you hit a pot hole?
- What work was done for $3K+?

Since the problem is not solved. like others have stated I would challenge the charges since the issue is not fixed.

Contact your local news station. Many have a consumer advocate that could help you with the issue.

Contact Nissan. Tell them 3K and not fixed is not acceptable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Gave up on dealer service. Ordered a Creader Vlll code reader. It has an icon to click for resetting steering angle sensor once the Nissan vehicle is selected. SO FAR, no issues, no lights on dash, everything works as it should and no codes. VDC on off switch started working as soon as I set the angle. $200 for the tool with fast free shipping ::smile::and no more visit to the dealer at $93 an hour. Hope this is the end of it. ::smile::

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would go back to the shop that did the $3K work, show them what corrected the problem and ask for a discount on what they didn't correct.

Good job trouble shooting the issue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Gave up on dealer service. Ordered a Creader Vlll code reader. It has an icon to click for resetting steering angle sensor once the Nissan vehicle is selected. SO FAR, no issues, no lights on dash, everything works as it should and no codes. VDC on off switch started working as soon as I set the angle. $200 for the tool with fast free shipping ::smile::and no more visit to the dealer at $93 an hour. Hope this is the end of it. ::smile::

That's cool! Didn't know a scan tool can reset the steering angle sensor.

I gotta buy me one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most scan tools cannot but this one can. Neighbor's wife has cancer. He was a life long mechanic. Took his Hyundai to the dealer for brakes this week since he is taking care of her. 4 wheel pads only. cost $400. Caught him working on his car and asked if he needed help. Turns out the car shook so bad he could not drive it after he got it back and he was re-doing their work. They said since the work flat rate they would not redo it as the mechanic would not get paid for the redo. Sucks. Years ago I gave up on dealers. Started going to dealer on this thing. Gave up again.

Anyway boys, this thing does not do everything but I emailed every code reader company on eBay and asked if it set steering angle on a Nissan and this one said yes. Another that costs a grand also said yes but did not buy it. For about a hundred more you can get one that programs keys too. Got it in a week and it only took me about 3 minutes. Awesome drive. Ordered a new set of factory mud flaps to celebrate. d

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wife says

Wife says I should tell you which one and where I bought the code reader that set the steering angle. Here it the Buy it now ebay link I bought it at.
Original Launch Creader VIII OBD2 Code Reader Diagnostic Scanner Tool CRP129 DHL
( eBay auction number 262445856351 ::smile:: )

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Huge congrats on your research & fix!

Ordered a new set of factory mud flaps to celebrate. d
Haha, please LMK if these negatively affect your fuel economy. I recently started a thread on this in Gen Discussion.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Most scan tools cannot but this one can. Neighbor's wife has cancer. He was a life long mechanic. Took his Hyundai to the dealer for brakes this week since he is taking care of her. 4 wheel pads only. cost $400. Caught him working on his car and asked if he needed help. Turns out the car shook so bad he could not drive it after he got it back and he was re-doing their work. They said since the work flat rate they would not redo it as the mechanic would not get paid for the redo. Sucks. Years ago I gave up on dealers. Started going to dealer on this thing. Gave up again.

Anyway boys, this thing does not do everything but I emailed every code reader company on eBay and asked if it set steering angle on a Nissan and this one said yes. Another that costs a grand also said yes but did not buy it. For about a hundred more you can get one that programs keys too. Got it in a week and it only took me about 3 minutes. Awesome drive. Ordered a new set of factory mud flaps to celebrate. d

Please tell me the model number of the one that can program keys too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I keep logging in over and over trying to reply. Typing this is getting old. I dumped my search bookmarks after I bought this one. Wish I had found the ones that do keys earlier as I had just spent $150 at the dealer for a new key and getting it programed. I searched OBD SCAN TOOL NISSAN and other similar searches. There are many cheapies and some high dollar tools but several that do keys if you sort through. There are some a little over $100 that do the keys only. Hope that helps bud. d

Reactions: ef9

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shift_Rush, I will try but it likely take me a while to go through a tank of gas. Only long trips I have on tap right now I am going to trade trucks with my lawyer and take his. If he has court in some far off city I will check his mileage but I've known him 52 years and I expect he will run hard. The other trip will be in my diesel Dodge as I have a heavy load to trailer back. Splash shields should be here next week I am told.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agree. I got a refund from GM when they took my money and could not repair the sunroof on our 2005 Yukon (intermittently wouldn't close for days). Dealer said they had "no idea what was wrong". Of course a GM rep saw my thread online and facilitated it; yes, I had specifically said I would pay for a repair, but not for a guess.

GM dealer had replaced the switch twice, wanted to charge me $50 for hazardous waste disposal (NOTHING was disposed of at all, I had asked for my switch back), they took off that charge. Dealer seemed more interested in selling me stuff like radiator hoses (they said mine were original, I had just changed out with water pump 2 months before, hoses still had Gates stickers on them, think they just went by mileage).

I was just about to dispute through credit card company when GM rep contacted me, and refund still took 2 months.

The "fix" - once sunroof was closed, i removed the fuse.
We had a suburban damaged going through the car wash. Had the side repaired 3 times. I was afraid of peeling paint and rust so traded it in on a brand new one for my wife. Her first new car an oh was she excited. Paid cash too else they would have gotten it back. A year later she came and got me at work telling me the washing machine broke down so we went and bought a new one. I thought the car looked odd when I got out so that night when I got home I looked at it with a flashlight. Peeking paint everywhere. Took it to a car wash and made a mess of the place. Peeled odd paint everywhere. Same color underneath. I bought a 1984 model in Nov. 83 to get a new undamaged vehicle. Went to the dealer and the son of the owner told me they did not care about me, only the next person that walks in the door. left mad, went back to the body shop and raised hell till they gave me the 2 page work order where they had repainted every panel except 1, replaced all moldings and the glass. Sued. $16,000 later we lost. Twice the original cost at this point. Moss-Magnuson act says they have the right to "repair or tinker" with a vehicle 13 times before you sue because it the warranty. I wanted new, paid for new, got a rebuilder. General motors sent a rep to testify in court who testified their tolerances on the body are + or- 3/4". Judge even stopped him and asked him if he was sure and said yes. Took them another round and won to rebuilt it again. Took 5 weeks and they ran up an $12k bill repairing it. Sold it with 11,000 miles and bought her a Caddy. She loved the Caddy but by the time it had 47k miles on it I had put numerous belts and hoses, a radiator, transmission, door bezels inside (kids slam doors and the would crack) and all 4 arm rests which the molded vinyl would crack and pinch your arm if you used it at $200 each. sold it and bought her a plymouth she loved. Drove it 14 year, 200k miles and 1 set of brakes, 2 sets of tires, wipers, and 2 batteries. My 84 C30 Scotsdale was sold at 34k miles when the dealer told me I am supposed to tear down the front axle and inspect the compontents every year or 10,000 miles. Showed me in the book. F'ck that. Any new vehicle that has to be torn down and inspected all the time is not going to be around me a minute. Bought a dodge and put 250k trouble free HARD miles on it. Still had all original ball joints, tie rod ends, ujoints. Replace it with another dodge cummins diesel. It is 20 years old with 130k on it and has only had brakes, tires, lower baljoints, batteries, wipers and normal service and I take this on 1000 mile plus trips, sometimes with the gooseneck which weights 7800 and will put 15k on top of it. I'll gross 32,000. You can't give me a GM any more. Sorry bud. Glad you got off cheap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The freaky demon is back.

Went to the store and the slip light came back on with the ABS brake chatter again. Never an end to this thing. I hooked the scan tool to it and it read steering angle at 0 with wheels straight ahead. When I turn the wheel it still reads zero. If it triggers the ABS the steering sensor has to be putting out some kind of signal. Code reads C1143 steering angle sensor. I guess I will check the sensor wiring and order another new sensor if the wiring seems fine. :frown:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts