Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My name is Stephen, and I live in Boise, Idaho. I am retired military, and 60 years old. I am currently in the market for my first pickup, and everything I have read online, and watched on YouTube really has me leaning in the Frontier direction. I joined so that I could ask questions about what to look for and beware of when buying a Frontier - I will be buying a used one - but I will ask those questions in the proper forum.

I chose the Frontier because I like the way it looks, will tow the right amount (when properly equipped) and not break my bank. I am also completely in love with the Utili-Track system.

I look forward to learning more about the Frontier.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Turning radius will take some time to get use to. After a while it will feel normal.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Welcome Stephen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stephen, have you made your purchase yet? If so, congrats! I was considering two trucks when I made my Frontier choice. The Dodge Ram was the other considered. When I drove the Ram, I felt like a midget Captain on a giant ship, very unsure of every turn... not sure if I would clear curbs, cars, etc. I had fully expected to love the Ram. I also expected the Frontier to feel to small and light weight. When I drove the Frontier for the first time, it felt "just right". I could drive it like I had driven it all my life. Since my purchase, everyday has reinforced my decision as the right decision. Good luck on your search! David

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Stephen, have you made your purchase yet? If so, congrats! I was considering two trucks when I made my Frontier choice. The Dodge Ram was the other considered. When I drove the Ram, I felt like a midget Captain on a giant ship, very unsure of every turn... not sure if I would clear curbs, cars, etc. I had fully expected to love the Ram. I also expected the Frontier to feel to small and light weight. When I drove the Frontier for the first time, it felt "just right". I could drive it like I had driven it all my life. Since my purchase, everyday has reinforced my decision as the right decision. Good luck on your search! David
+1 on this, I've driven full-size models from all the Big Three, and they just feel too "super-sized" to fit my needs. I prefer the size of the Frontier, better fuel economy and turning radius would certainly be pluses, but sure aren't enough to make me give mine up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I chose the Frontier because I like the way it looks, will tow the right amount (when properly equipped) and not break my bank. I am also completely in love with the Utili-Track system.
Utili-Track is included in SV with Value Truck Package and standard on Pro-4X and SL. I believe it may have been a stand-alone option at some point, but I'm not sure. Nissan is like Honda and Toyota; there aren't a whole lot of stand-alone options. Generally, if you want a vehicle with a feature, you have to find a trim that has the feature included. Makes it easy to shop on the second-hand market compared to, say, MINI, where nearly everything is a stand-alone option.

Personally, unless you're going to be using the tracks in the floor frequently, I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker if the rest of the truck checks out. I've installed L-track (narrower than E-track) in other trucks with no problems.

As @invasion08 mentioned, the turning radius sucks. My F150 turns tighter. I suspect it's because the Frontier shares the same suspension mounting points as the Titan, but has shorter arms, thus the steering arc of the wheels is reduced.

The back seat is also smaller than the competition. The Tacoma's cab is roughly 4" longer. They both have about the same amount of leg room, but the Tacoma has a longer seat cushion (think thigh support). The Frontier also doesn't have the enhanced safety suite that the Tacoma and the Ranger have, which is a plus or a minus depending on your view.

But on the flip side, the Frontier has a fully-boxed, e-coated frame; rear disc brakes; steel bedsides; steel bed tub; steel (and heavy as heck) tailgate; seats that are up off the floor; and they are easily 20% less expensive than a similarly-equipped Tacoma.

Overall, you can't go wrong with the Frontier if a midsize is what you're after. If a tree fell on my Frontier tonight, I'd be looking at a Pro-4X tomorrow if I wasn't itching to get back to a full-size. The Frontier is very comfortable for one or two people, and an occasional back seat passenger. I got the crew cab so I can have more back seat space for cargo.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have two (2) Frontiers so my vote is in. Stock up while they last! are cover 2019.JPG NM 506 Pavement Ends_01.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stephen, have you made your purchase yet? If so, congrats! I was considering two trucks when I made my Frontier choice. The Dodge Ram was the other considered. When I drove the Ram, I felt like a midget Captain on a giant ship, very unsure of every turn... not sure if I would clear curbs, cars, etc. I had fully expected to love the Ram. I also expected the Frontier to feel to small and light weight. When I drove the Frontier for the first time, it felt "just right". I could drive it like I had driven it all my life. Since my purchase, everyday has reinforced my decision as the right decision. Good luck on your search! David View attachment 317979
David - I have not yet made my purchase, but the itch is real. My problem is I do not want a Pro-4x, as I do not plan on doing a lot of serious off-road climb a mountain driving. I may go down a state dirt road to get to a campground, hopefully pulling a light-weight RV trailer, but we will see. However, most of the used models I am finding here in my local area are Pro-4x, or if not, lack features I want like the Utili-Trac system in the bed. Also, if I wait 10 months or so, I will have a lot more money for a monthly payment, and may be able to get something a lot newer. Currently, I am only looking at 2011 and newer due to the Radiator/Transmission problems in earlier ones.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stephen, I'm pretty much like you as far as expected use. Don't have a RV yet, may never get one, but that's interesting to me for the moment. Those YouTube videos sale a lot of trucks and RVs... LOL. So, you might look for a SV trim level, that is what I ended up with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
While the Pro-4X may have some things you don't need (locking rear diff, Bilstein shocks, etc) if the price is right I wouldn't pass on one. No downside vs. an SV or SL.

I'm not sure if Utilitrak was an option on SVs...

·
Registered
60 Posts
While the Pro-4X may have some things you don't need (locking rear diff, Bilstein shocks, etc) if the price is right I wouldn't pass on one. No downside vs. an SV or SL.

I'm not sure if Utilitrak was an option on SVs...
Right, My SV came with the Plastic Bed Liner and no Utilitrak system. While I would prefer having the Utilitrak system installed, not sure its compatible with the Plastic Bed Liner, I think you have to go with the sprayed in bed liner. So if anyone has information on which bed liners are compatible, I would be interested. David

·
Registered
562 Posts
go for the pro4x if you are wanting 4wd. they don't cost much more than an SV 4x4. I got mine for $28k new.

people don't know this but there are different levels of the pro4x package. you don't have to get the top tier one with leather seats and roof rack and power seats and sunroof. you can get one without those 4 things at a cheaper price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts