Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 CC 4x4 3.3L V6 5 Speed.

Backstory... I found a crack in the radiator so I bought a new Spectra unit off Amazon and replaced the hoses, belts, thermostat, rad cap and coolant (50/50) to go with it and drove it around town a few weeks with no problems. I then went on a road trip on a particularly hot day (100+ deg) and noticed the engine temp gauge was well past halfway. I turned the heater on and the gauge quickly went back down to the halfway point (normal position). I got to my destination and let her sit overnight to cool off. The next morning I re-bled the coolant system thinking I may have had an air pocket or something. On the drive back home we had much cooler outdoor temps and it rained most of the way so the needle stayed in the normal halfway position the whole time. Also the fan clutch has been replaced and is less than a year old.

Since then I have been using the Torque app to monitor my coolant temps and here is what I am seeing. City driving temps are around 195 deg and Highway (75 mph) temps are 210-215 deg. Those temps seem a little high to me. anybody else have the Torque app and can verify if these temps are "normal"?

Side note: According to the Torque app the coolant needle starts moving around 135 deg then at about 165 it reaches the halfway point. from then on the needle does not move, even when I see temps of 215 the needle is at halfway or maybe slightly above. Anyone else seeing this?

If you have the Torque app (or similar) please post your engine coolant temps along with ambient temps and style of driving (city/highway/offroad etc)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi srpotter,

In my 2002 XE V6 desert runner I average about 180F on the highway in the summer. I don't use the torque app, but I do use dashcommand. That in the Texas heat on the highway when my engine is turning about 3100RPM. I don't think your coolant should be getting much hotter than 180F.

I have found that if my rad is just the slightest bit low on coolant, my truck will run hot. Make sure to let if cool off, open up the radiator cap, and then see if you're full. I ran into this issue when I replaced my rad earlier this summer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used the Torque app on my 02 V6 and it is usually 190-200 highway or back roads for the most part. I do not monitor full time, but never saw it get a few degree more than 200 at operating temps.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
The rating of the thermostat comes into play, as well. 170 degree F. and 180 degree F. thermostats were both available for that year Frontier 3.3L.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
2000 CC 4x4 3.3L V6 5 Speed.
My 2 Frontiers are 4-cylinder, 5-speed, so "your results may vary". I'm in Arizona, my 1998 runs just below the halfway point on the stock gauge. We just took the 2004 (King Cab) about 1700 miles through Colorado mountains, just below the halfway point on the stock gauge. Important to bleed out all the air from the cooling system on these.

I got to my destination and let her sit overnight to cool off.
I do this too when Mrs. Cusser gets mad at me on vacation !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts