Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys paying? My license fee alone is $207!!! WTF?!
My total renewal fee is $273.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Man Im In The $300+:thatswck:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ouch.. i just paid ~$104 for a 2 year renewal in Miami.
How is that suppose to make us feel better? lol

UNLESS YOU'RE PAYING MORE THAN ME, PLEASE DON'T POST! :nana:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
yeah i think mines $328 damn new trucks my girls 89 cherokee is $60

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is due next month. $416.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mine is $258

Get this.. I listed the selling price as $7,000

tell me why i owe over $750 for sales tax? Its 9.75%

Theifs.. and the state is still broke as f***

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mine is $258

Get this.. I listed the selling price as $7,000

tell me why i owe over $750 for sales tax? Its 9.75%

Theifs.. and the state is still broke as f***
Exactly, I can't have much sympathy if you guys over there keep voting in the same "tax you death" politicians. I couldn't stand to live in Cali, I'ld move in a heart beat.

And that's actually 10.7% even worse!!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You guys have it easy! Excise tax the first year was $873 here (not to mention the sales tax, so add 5% to the cost of the vehicle). Gradually it goes down. This year it will be about $150. I also have a clunker and it is $75 and won't go less than that. To buy and register a new car here is punishing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's because your truck is AUTOMATICALLY registered as a commercial vehicle (the only letter in your license plate is the second digit) thus they charge you weight fees, road tax and other crap that adds up.

You could reverse it to a regular auto registration, but i'm not 100% sure on what it entails since I have been told that you cannot have anything in the bed of your truck if you have an automobile registration, and if you do it's an automatic fine or something like that. I've never cared enough to look into it, since I know you will need a fixed cover (camper shell or tonneau) and have to show it to the dim wits at the DMV.

There was a legislative person trying to change this years back, it still hasn't happened. But that's Crapifornia for you guys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I moved back to california from FL, I think I paid about $275 for renewal BEFORE they raised the Reg fees. A couple of weeks after I paid I got a renewal notice from FL DMV $40 for 2 yrs. Unbeleivable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I found the article. I'll copy and paste it in case it's lost or whatever: It's from 2007

California's Pickup Truck Tax: Unjust, Unfair and Unwarranted - Publications - CA State Senator Roy Ashburn - CSSRC

4/23/2007
California's Pickup Truck Tax: Unjust, Unfair and Unwarranted

The state of California has been discriminating against pickup truck owners for over thirty years by overtaxing them. We all agree that state government needs money to do the important things, so a bit of taxation will always be necessary. It’s a different story though when a tax is applied arbitrarily or unfairly. California pickup truck owners have been faced with just such an unfair tax for far too long and it’s time to put a stop to it.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles categorizes all pickup trucks as commercial vehicles and charges a commercial vehicle fee on top of annual registration fees and has done so since 1973. Unless it is equipped with a permanent camper shell, every pickup in California is taxed as though it were being used in a business. Moreover the DMV admits that 90% of pickup trucks in California are not used for commercial purposes, yet pickup owners must continue to pay this fee anyway.

California families are already burdened by various Federal, State and Local taxes and fees. The last thing they need is another tax on the family truck that they were never supposed to be paying in the first place. That is why I have introduced Senate Bill 422 to eliminate the pickup truck tax on privately owned vehicles.

The DMV says that 4.5 million non-commercial pickups in California are being taxed this way. Noted taxpayer advocate Lew Uhler, Chairman of the National Tax Limitation Committee has called this practice “tantamount to stealing.” How much is being taken from California’s hard working taxpayers because of the design of their chosen form of transportation? According to the DMV the amount of commercial fees collected from non-commercial pickup truck owners will total $288 million in 2008 – over a quarter of a billion dollars!

The DMV claims that the commercial fee is necessary to cover the wear and tear on our state’s roads and highways due to the weight of private pickup trucks. The commercial weight charge however, does not apply to pickup trucks with a permanent sleeper shell, SUV’s, or large passenger sedans heavier than many models of pickup trucks. The owner of a Ford Ranger pays an annual pickup truck tax of $24, but the owner of a Chevrolet Impala with a similar weight, does not. The owner of Ford F150 pays $80 that the owner of a Cadillac Deville doesn’t have to pay. Larger private pickups such as those used to haul campers or horse trailers pay even more – up to $257, while owners of Hummers, Excursions and Suburbans do not, even though many of those larger SUVs are in fact used for commercial purposes.

There may have been a time when pickup trucks were used mainly for construction and trades, but that’s certainly not the case today. Families have discovered the convenience and utility of having a pickup truck for do-it-yourself projects, recreation, and day-to-day shopping and chores. There is no good reason for the State of California to collect commercial fees on personal vehicles not being used for commercial purposes. SB 422 will fix this unfair tax.

Opponents of abolishing the pickup truck tax say that state government “can’t afford” to lose that much revenue during tight fiscal times. That argument however begs the point. The money should never have been collected in the first place. The state of California will collect nearly $100 billion in revenue this year. The unjust pickup truck tax is ¼ of one percent of that. If there is a shortfall in revenue because of lost dollars that should never have been collected in the first place, then the State of California can darn well tighten its belt by ¼ of one percent and spend less. It’s that simple.

It has been said that the routine taxes we all pay are at best a necessary evil. When taxes are applied unjustly or unfairly however, that’s not necessary and it’s still evil. It’s time to end California’s arbitrary and unnecessary pickup truck tax.

Senator Ashburn represents the 18 th Senate District including Tulare, Kern, Inyo, and San Bernardino Counties.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's because your truck is AUTOMATICALLY registered as a commercial vehicle (the only letter in your license plate is the second digit) thus they charge you weight fees, road tax and other crap that adds up.

You could reverse it to a regular auto registration, but i'm not 100% sure on what it entails since I have been told that you cannot have anything in the bed of your truck if you have an automobile registration, and if you do it's an automatic fine or something like that. I've never cared enough to look into it, since I know you will need a fixed cover (camper shell or tonneau) and have to show it to the dim wits at the DMV.

There was a legislative person trying to change this years back, it still hasn't happened. But that's Crapifornia for you guys.

That's what i thought. So a week before it's due, i'll have the $273 in hand when i walk in at the DMV. But i'll ask if the total they charged me was under commercial vehicle. I have a camper shell on the back of my truck. As long as i have it on, i shouldn't be charged, we'll see how things work out for me...hope i don't have to pay the $273. But if i did get charged as a commercial vehicle, and they reduce it, i'll only be charged $123.. I don't know....

·
Registered
144 Posts
They'll have to change your registration.

You'll have to permanently have the camper on there, you'll need plates that are number, letter, letter, letter, number, number, number instead of all numbers and second digit being a letter. Your title will have to change as it says on the top left as well. But I don't know the exact stipulations or any associated fees that might come with it (usually you have to pay for new plates, it use to be something like 15 bucks, probably has gone up due to our budget).

If you get it done, let us know. I'm all for saving money right now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Wouldn't he have to go through a new registration like you stated and repay taxes? I don't remember the details, ...
I just got lucky to renew my stickers before the fees were increased. At least I hope so! Lol

So. Cal for me was $117 or $111.. on the 30th last month. Does it make a difference what county you're registered in, maybe?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts