Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around here for awhile, and searched only to find stories about stuff that doesn't relate. If the posts are out there, please forgive my ignorance and point me in the right direction. Thank you. Now, on to the questions.

I have an '05 KC Nismo. I haven't done any off-roading yet, because I don't know any good spots out here yet. I have used the 4wd a few times in the rain on the way home from work, just to see if it worked, and it does. (I live less than a mile from work, so I'm sure I didn't cause any damage to the system.)

1) Is it ok to use 4wd in situations like this? Snowy conditions I'm sure would be fine. But rain?

2) Besides the obvious drop in mpg, is there any other side effects?

3) How do you disengage it? I have used it before and turned it off, and the 4 wheels in the tach turned back to 2, and sometimes, the front wheels and diff flash for a while. What gives?

4) I've heard it is bad for you to use 4wd on dry pavement. Is this true?

5) If you don't use the 4wd for a long time, will it hurt the system?

6) How exactly does the electronic locking diff work? When should I use it? ( I tried it once in a parking lot in 4lo, and the ABS light came on, 4wd light came on, which I've read is a bad thing, and it would not disengage until I turned the truck off and re-started it.)

7) Any other tips/tricks I should know before taking this thing out to get dirty? I don't plan on going into deep mud or anything like that. Just some steep hills or stuff like that.

Anyways, thanx for the help.
Bryan

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,200 Posts
1) I wouldnt recomend a part-time 4x4 system like the one in our trucks for wet pavement.

2) Increased wear on drivetrain parts, stiffer steering feel, more traction

3)It is shift on the fly, so you can engage and disengage at anytime, It is recomended that you do not engage it at above 50mph. When you disengage it, the light may blink for a few seconds, this just means that it is trying to disengage....try swerving side to side a little to help it go back to 2wheel drive.

4)Yes, added wear on the drivetrain including possible breakage. Realistically will not have any issues as long as you are going in a straight line, its when you start turning that is bad for it.

5)It shouldnt...not with today's systems. But it doesnt hurt it either, so go for it.

6)Must be in 4Lo to use the locker, just flip the switch and it will come on, the locker light will come on, I forget if the ABS light comes on or not, I want to say that it does because I beleive that the ABS is disabled when the locker is on. To disengage the locker simply flip the switch again, you may have to back up and turn your wheels a little to get it to disengage, this is normal.

7)Watch your break-over angle on steep hills, you dont want to get high-centered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the reply!
Just wanted a little more info.
Knowledge is power. Or something like that!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have an interesting observation on point #3: Tweaking_it and I have installed grounding kits on our trucks (He has an 06 SE CC 4X4 and I have an 05 NISMO KC 4X4) and noticed that the engage/disengage time of the transfer case is much quicker than before adding this mod! We both did a combination install using both the Active Tuning instructions (that adds a grounding strap to the transfer case) and the Stillen installation (which mainly just grounds the engine).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had installed a home-made grounding kit on a Sentra a few cars ago, and didi notice improvements in a few areas. I had thought about doing it to the Frontier, but didn't know if it would be benificial.
Do you have a link to the Active Tuning kit? I'd like to check on it...
Thanx!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts