Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm giving up on front gears, and my builder is willing to make mounting brackets for a new front diff and get custom half shafts, ether using better CV joints or, making a half shaft using the inner CV off the doner diff and out off a Nissan. So any one got an f150/silverado/tundra that they can crawl under and measure the diff? The m205 is 25" flange to flange.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Also, which side do you need the drop on? This would help people narrow down the possibilities.

If I was 4wd I would know but I am 2wd.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Thats really not all that expensive really...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
it's jsut a houseing so by the time you put a 3rd on to it your going to well over $2k. Also it's still a rear diff.
Currie Enterprises Racing Rear End Categories

It can be used front or rear. ^^^ this link shows it in the front of Shannon Campbells race buggy.

Description: For buggy, race car, and hot rod builders we now offer an independent housing for front or rearend use! Housing uses a modified version of our F9 Fabricated housing and includes 3rd. member studs, fill cap, drain plug, and vent installed. Axles accept series 30 CV's, are constructed of 300M material, and are machined and heat treated. Axle bearings and retaining hardware is included. Specify when ordering if this unit will be used standard or upside down! Sold each.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Currie Enterprises Racing Rear End Categories

It can be used front or rear. ^^^ this link shows it in the front of Shannon Campbells race buggy.

Description: For buggy, race car, and hot rod builders we now offer an independent housing for front or rearend use! Housing uses a modified version of our F9 Fabricated housing and includes 3rd. member studs, fill cap, drain plug, and vent installed. Axles accept series 30 CV's, are constructed of 300M material, and are machined and heat treated. Axle bearings and retaining hardware is included. Specify when ordering if this unit will be used standard or upside down! Sold each.
It's almost $2k for just a housing you still need to put a 3rd member in I can get housing made for less then $800 if I wanted to go that way. but I'm trying to come up with a cheap solution that will work for titan/frontier/Xterras that are tired of waiting for gears and lockers for the front. you can pull a diff out of a junkyard for less then $500 if we get the right one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's almost $2k for just a housing you still need to put a 3rd member in I can get housing made for less then $800 if I wanted to go that way. but I'm trying to come up with a cheap solution that will work for titan/frontier/Xterras that are tired of waiting for gears and lockers for the front. you can pull a diff out of a junkyard for less then $500 if we get the right one.
Yea with the price of the Currie I would rather go with a Jag Dana 44. Look down to the bottom of the page. But honestly I think your best bet would be to shorten like a Dana 44 and have the custom axles made to work with the current half shafts. I posted a link in on of the other 100 threads about this where someone did this with a 9 inch.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The goal for this is to make an affordable kit to replace the front diff. So my fabricator would make axles, mounting brackets, and new yoke and the buyer would be responsible for the diff and gears/locker. If i was going to use a 9inch housing I know of 3 shops off the top of my head that make them to length for cheap. but it would be over kill.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hey mustard,

Been thinking of doing the exact same thing, ive been thinking of using a toyo hilux/4runner diff, i havent as yet laid my hands on a diff to take any measurements but the reasons i choose that were

down here in australia they are every where,

you can get any gear set you like for them,

i can get an arb air locker for them.

They are a right hand side drop which obviously doesnt work but from googling hilux ifs diff and looking at pictures, the axle tubes actually bolt to the centre section so they should be able to be swapped side to side, i read on yotatech forums of a guy that had swapped axle tubes between a 'add' model and a non 'add' model so my thinking is if they swap over they should go side to side

i also looked at a h3 hummer one but just cant find any down here so i scrapped that and went back to the yota diff

Now i know im not the only crazy person thinking this and that it may actually be possible i might have to start trying to find a diff to look at

cheers sean

Keep me posted how you go with your hunt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts