Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

My truck makes loud noises when I turn the steering wheel only when it is cold. It usually only happens when I am going less than 5 mph (backing up, etc.). Is there a problem with my power steering? What should I check?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It may be that the fluid is full of contaminants and is thicker because of it. When the fluid is cold, it's harder for the power steering pump to pump it. I would try changing the power steering fluid.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hmm, I've had this same issue with my rodeo for the past year and a half.

It either does it only when I turn the wheel really fast and sharp to get out of a tight parking spot in a hurry or something or when I'm traveling slowly and turn sharp fast to steel a parking spot, lol.

It's a low pitch grunt/vibration while turning the wheel, doesn't affect steering performance at all though.

I can't find anything physically wrong at all nor does the fluid seem like it's bad. I haven't worried about it and it's been okay. I know it's a different vehicle and all, but it may be the exact same problem, whatever it is.

It also goes away for me too after a drive, but early in the morning when it's started in the winter it grunts.

I haven't read of any other nissan frontier owners with a similar issue, neither have I found anyone on the isuzu forums report of a similar issue so I haven't really dug into it. I guess a change of the fluid would be a good start, like truckchick78 said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts