Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright….Uwharrie is just one month away. I am sure everyone is just as excited about getting out and wheeling with some Nissans as I am.

Feel free to pass thing information along to other Nissan owners. Uwharrie is a good place for trail rigs of all sizes and capabilities. Please just keep in mind….this is an off highway trail and dents and dings will happen.

This is an OPEN run. Anyone at least 18yrs old and with a Nissan to wheel is invited. More information and sign up on NOAS | Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast

For those of you that have never been to Uwharrie National Forest, I pulled some information I thought you might find useful.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&z=6&om=1&msid=1054649327619165366 35.00000111c1fa528af5a77&msa=0

Park Info (trail map link on site below):
Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide

CNC 4x4 Trail Fact Sheet - Uwharrie

Uwharrie is a National Forest and conduct of those visiting should be appropriate.

Unfortunately it’s not a “free-for-all” at Uwharrie. You must stay on the trail. Should you choose to blaze your own trail…expect, at the minimum, a good ear full from me. If a ranger see’s you, you will most likely be cited.

They are cracking down on speeding on the service roads. Speed limit is posted. Anyone who wishes to ride on the trails at Uwharrie needs to have either a day pass ($5/day) or a year pass ($30) for the ORV areas. The best place to purchase a pass is at the Eldorado Outpost. Refer to the Map for info on where the Eldorado Outpost is.

Please note…. alcohol and drugs are prohibited. The rangers for the National Forest will stop by camp on occasion and you very well may run into them on the trail or service roads. Please do as they say and don’t put yourself in a position to be removed from the area. I see state troopers remove people from the park for drinking and/or disturbing the peace all the time.

We will be camping at the Art Lilley Memorial Campground at Uwharrie. This is a very new campground and it’s free semi-premitive camping. Some pictures of the area can be found here. Uwharrie National Forest - Art Lilley Memorial Camp Ground - Info - North Carolina 4x4 Forum

There is plenty of parking and it’s right off the trail for you guys without tags for driving on the access roads.

Bathrooms on site!

The campground is located at the bottom of Falls Damn Trail. At the end of Access Road 553. From the Outpost, take Access Road 576 back into the forest, hang a left on 553 and stop at the end. Look around for campground. Map here… http://home.windstream.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif

Additionally, If you plan to take your vehicle on the trails, you must have at least one front and one rear tow point. If you are unsure whether or not you have one, please ask someone to help you. This is very important! If you do venture out on the trails without a tow point and then need a tow…expect some damage to your bumpers.

If you or someone else needs a tug or two, please work with an experienced person on the proper way to do this. Towing and tugging can be very dangerous if done incorrectly. Please take your time and be safe!

Everyone rides at their own risk!!!!

What are the chances you are going to damage your truck on the trail? Well, I’d say pretty good. At the minimum, expect some pin striping from overhanging tree branches. The rest really depends on what kind of day your having and how good of decisions you make. We will be assigning trail leaders and gunners. I will be working to make sure every group has an experienced person with them. Be smart, use some common sense, and listen to your spotter!

If you are going to be upset because you scratched your paint, dented your bumper, busted a tire, wrinkled some sheet metail, crack a tail light, etc….please do not take your truck on the trail. Uwharrie has many “water bars” on the trails. Big humps of dirt to direct rain water. These were built up quite tall in some areas this past winter. Get used to the feeling of bottoming out on these and hearing your truck’s underbody scrap over the top.

If this is your first time to Uwharrie please plan on tackling the easier trails first to get used to the terrain. Move on to the more difficult stuff accordingly. Easy trails are passable to a stock vehicle (notice…I did not say without incurring any damage). Medium trails are recommended for modified vehicles with at least a 32” tire and sliders and skids. Hard trails are just that. Body damage is likely and at a minimum I would recommend a full set of armor, 33” tires, and a locker. 2wd drive trucks will struggle at Uwharrie…even on the easier stuff. I have run 2wd at Uwharrie in the past and it is possible, but I would think a modified 2wd with a lift or two would be my minimum recommendation.

If you encounter an obstacle you are uncomfortable attempting, you must tell your trail leader! We can’t read your mind and we all get a little puckered up over certain obstacles, but if you don’t want to try something we need to know to make arrangements to get you off the trail best we can.

Other vehicles on the trail. Please be aware that we will not have exclusive use of the trail system and many vehicles we encounter will want to keep moving best they can. This being said, they are not going to want to sit behind a line of 10 Nissans while we search for a tow point on your truck and/or try to recover you from an obstacle you should not have attempted in the first place. Know your trucks limitations and trail ride accordingly.

Spare Parts – Bring your spare parts/fluids and do your maintenance at home! Hook up your CB before arriving at camp. Install your sliders before you get to camp. Get gas before you get to camp.

Part Stores in the Area – Very limited selection and not for at least 20-30 miles.

Trail map – Get one at the Eldorado Outpost or print one from the internet.

Elegant driving – We all know your truck’s got tons of power and can sling some mud so there is no reason to do it on the service roads, in camp, or on the trails. Don’t do it in camp! I assure you…you will have the opportunity to spin your tires and hear your motor rev up, just don’t do it when its not safe or in a crowded area. Stay on the trails. Believe it or not…they ticket for going off trail at Uwharrie. The Speed limit in Uwharrie is posted. Follow it. I and others I know have been pulled over for speeding in the National Forest. It’s not fun.

Spare tire. – Do you have a full size spare tire? Any idea if it has air in it or not? Double-check this before you leave home.

Potential damage – Did I mention there is a good chance you will receive some carnage at Uwharrie?

Clean up – Pick up your trash and trash left by others. If you leave the forest only with what you brought in, you didn’t do your part to support our trail systems and our National Forest! Bring trash bags with you! Keep a couple in your truck at all times! (More than one use for those things.)

Got a toolbox? Bring it! Make sure it has tools you will need in it.

Got a fire extinguisher? Bring it….fire sucks.

Lastly….be safe, have fun, and let someone know if you are uncomfortable at any time or think what someone else is doing is inappropriate or unsafe.

Bring any medication or first aid stuff you might require with you. Bee stings, snake bites, etc. are unlikely, but very possible.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&z=6&om=1&msid=1054649327619165366 35.00000111c1fa528af5a77&msa=0

Park Info (trail map link on site below):
Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide

CNC 4x4 Trail Fact Sheet - Uwharrie

Lastly, Uwharrie has a lot of really nice lake access points and some very cool hiking trails. Plan on taking a look around if you get the chance. Lots of good fishing there as well.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good info. I am coming to this event and i encourage everyone who hasn't been to go as well. I have been once with the noas group a couple years back and it was awesome.

Guess i actually have to finish my truck now...

·
Registered
54 Posts
can anyone post some pics of just the easy trails? trying to figure out what to expect... Im a 2wd le with 3 inch of lift by then 5 and 33inch bfg at

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Anybody know where the 2wd video is from the noas fall meet a couple years back with me and a 2nd gen.... the one where i almost ran pinhead (mike with the white 1st gen) over. High jack over.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Why's that man? I'd like to do the Spring meet, isn't there usually one at URE in the spring?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Why's that man? I'd like to do the Spring meet, isn't there usually one at URE in the spring?
Each of are runs is in a different location. The 2010 schedule has not been announced yet but the spring run will probably be in Ky, TN, or GA.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Okay, well good luck then! And mike, would you assume that sometime during 2010 you'll be going to URE? I just thought looking on the NOAS site that there was usually a Spring run and Fall run there.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Yeah I would say the lager club fall run be at URE. It's been there for the last nine years.
Now we have small groups going out there about once a month mostly the NOAS members that live in N.C. Are you in N.C.?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts