Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, I have no tail lights but my brake lights work. I figure it has to be a fuse, but I pulled the one marked "stop lamp" from the glovebox fuse box and it was fine. So what am I missing here?

On a side note I installed LED bulbs in the tails and had to add a load resistor to my turn signals so they wouldn't blink so fast.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, I checked the fuse box under the hood and found one marked "tail lamp" and sure enough, it was blown. I should have just checked under the hood in the first place instead of asking for help online.

·
Registered
524 Posts
SAME THING ON MY TRUCK BUT but DID NOT DO glovebox fuse box... ILL LOOK AT THAT TOMORROW

·
Registered
524 Posts
Had this happen on my truck last year but it hasn't happened again. Don't know what the problem was
so it was one of the fuses ????

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yes, it was one of the fuses. My stereo was ripped out before I noticed it and this may have been the problem because of the dimmer wire flopping around.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
replaced the fuse and it didn't fix it at all. then my brake lights went out. the LEDs i put in fried somehow. this made me pretty mad so I pulled out all of the LEDs I had put in and replaced them all with the oem incandescent bulbs that I had originally pulled out. Now everything works again, guess I'll just chalk this up to lesson learned.

I really think it was the load resistors I put on, they were cheap ebay ones, I should have probably just bought some from VLEDS.com. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
just throw a bigger fuse in it.
the WORST advice one could ever give and a good way to burn out the circuit or burn the truck to the ground. NEVER put a larger fuse in if something is causing it to blow.

replaced the fuse and it didn't fix it at all. then my brake lights went out. the LEDs i put in fried somehow. this made me pretty mad so I pulled out all of the LEDs I had put in and replaced them all with the oem incandescent bulbs that I had originally pulled out. Now everything works again, guess I'll just chalk this up to lesson learned.

I really think it was the load resistors I put on, they were cheap ebay ones, I should have probably just bought some from VLEDS.com. Oh well, live and learn.
how did you wire in the resistors?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I attached the resistors to the 2 wires coming out of the light (which I was assuming was a power and a ground). I connected one end of the resistor to each side. This fixed the too fast blinking problem right away but obviously caused several other problems shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
huh, it shouldnt have fried a fuse. instead of connecting to both wires try just the + and then to a ground.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cninook,
What LEDs did you put in your tail/brake lights? Did you put regular 3157 or 3157CK? That could have been why you blew fuses...?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if the led is backwards it will blow fuses...i had that problem also.
that just simply isnt true. i have accidentally installed LED's backwards several times with never blowing a fuse. the only problem is they havent worked correctly.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cninook,
What LEDs did you put in your tail/brake lights? Did you put regular 3157 or 3157CK? That could have been why you blew fuses...?
I used regular 3157's, I followed the guide on Sylvania's website.

·
Registered
337 Posts
cninook, you are right the sylvania site does say 3157. I was wondering if this is the problem?

Check out this socket picture:

3157 - 3156 LED - SRCK

I was thinking this is the type we have? I thought this is what mine looked like. Can one of you with better eyes than me confirm this? Vleds states that if you are blowing fuses repeatedly you probably have the CK type socket.
I pulled out the bulb in there and it said 3157K on it. They also have a picture of the normal 3157 socket and I thought ours didn't look like it:

3157 - 3156 LED - Standard

What do you think? Is this the problem?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no, it was definitely a 3157 not a 3157ck, i think i just got screwed over by buying the cheapest ebay led available. i need to just suck it up and put down the extra $$$ for VLEDS

·
Registered
337 Posts
no, it was definitely a 3157 not a 3157ck, i think i just got screwed over by buying the cheapest ebay led available. i need to just suck it up and put down the extra $$$ for VLEDS
Well if you decide to order from v-leds use coupon code "toyotanation" and you get 15% off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts