Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 ProX 21k miles, upon trying to start engine did not turn over and following messages appeared:

Low oil pressure stop vehicle
Service AT stop safely
Intelligent key error
Warning when parked apply parking brake (with beeping alarm until E brake is engaged)

Battery was fully charged but transmission did not shift to neutral. This is 2nd occurence of total start failure. The same issue occurred a couple of months ago and dealer had it for 3 days with no explanation of the problem but got it running again.

Anyone else having this symptom? Vehicle locks in park and must be towed with dolly wheels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow!

You should be able unlock the transmission with the key fob at least depending on if there is more going on in this scenario. Which it sounds like.

transmission locked.

The low oil pressure would be that it thinks its starting but since it is not it is getting a low oil pressure reading.

Key error? Don't know on that one. hrmmm.

When you park, do you always use the parking brake? If not, it could be why there is a transmission locking issue.

When the parking brake is not engaged, when parking, the vehicle will roll/jerk forwards and back against the transmission. Sometimes, in some vehicles, this starts to take a toll on the transmission. In this case it could be a safety feature?

Good practice would be: you are on the brake, truck stops, stay on the brake, shift to park, engage the parking brake, then let go of the brake pedal.

That's the theory anyway... See if more info comes from others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!

You should be able unlock the transmission with the key fob at least depending on if there is more going on in this scenario. Which it sounds like.

transmission locked.

The low oil pressure would be that it thinks its starting but since it is not it is getting a low oil pressure reading.

Key error? Don't know on that one. hrmmm.

When you park, do you always use the parking brake? If not, it could be why there is a transmission locking issue.

When the parking brake is not engaged, when parking, the vehicle will roll/jerk forwards and back against the transmission. Sometimes, in some vehicles, this starts to take a toll on the transmission. In this case it could be a safety feature?

Good practice would be: you are on the brake, truck stops, stay on the brake, shift to park, engage the parking brake, then let go of the brake pedal.

That's the theory anyway... See if more info comes from others.
Both occurrences vehicle was parked on a completely flat surface so parking brake was not used.

·
Registered
340 Posts
While I'm not a mechanic, I had a similar problem with a different vehicle years ago. Multiple warning lights and vehicle would be in "limp" mode. Turned out a rodent chewed through some of the wiring loom. Again, not sure if this is the case, but you may want to crawl underneath and check that all the wiring is intact and plugged in? It may be that simple. Otherwise, a call to the dealership for warranty work is definitely in order. Especially if you already had the service department look into this before.

Reactions: 20009

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I'm not a mechanic, I had a similar problem with a different vehicle years ago. Multiple warning lights and vehicle would be in "limp" mode. Turned out a rodent chewed through some of the wiring loom. Again, not sure if this is the case, but you may want to crawl underneath and check that all the wiring is intact and plugged in? It may be that simple. Otherwise, a call to the dealership for warranty work is definitely in order.
Dealer has had it since Monday. I'm waiting to hear what they have to report. The last time this happened they didn't have an explanation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Both occurrences vehicle was parked on a completely flat surface so parking brake was not used.
Right, the vehicle still rolls forward and back against the transmission. For instance, 99% of people who drive manual transmission learn or learn quickly to always use the parking brake no matter what as the transmission could get damaged. Also helps if being towed to not damage it as well. Becomes a habit.

Still, just a theory. Hopefully the dealer gives you back information that makes sense and not some random mumbo-jumbo to get you off their backs.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
321 Posts
Intelligent key error
I get this issue intermittently with my 2022 SV 4x4. Both the 'Key Not Present' and 'Key ID Not Correct' errors. documented with the dealer over the weekend. Even though I am getting the errors, the truck has never failed to start though. Since it is a no-crank issue, I am wondering if this is related to the key not being detected.

Side Note, Kudos on 21k Miles! Hope they can figure out what is going on and you have many more after.

Reactions: 20009 and GreyFox

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get this issue intermittently with my 2022 SV 4x4. Both the 'Key Not Present' and 'Key ID Not Correct' errors. documented with the dealer over the weekend. Even though I am getting the errors, the truck has never failed to start though. Since it is a no-crank issue, I am wondering if this is related to the key not being detected.

Side Note, Kudos on 21k Miles! Hope they can figure out what is going on and you have many more after.
I have also had a key error where I was prompted to place the key next to the start button. At that point the vehicle started. Other random errors include ABS warning and Collision warning where there is nothing around to trigger Collision. So, possibly all of this is rooted in the key system but I'll update what they claim to find.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have also had a key error where I was prompted to place the key next to the start button. At that point the vehicle started. Other random errors include ABS warning and Collision warning where there is nothing around to trigger Collision. So, possibly all of this is rooted in the key system but I'll update what they claim to find.
Get it in writing from the service manager. This way you have a copy incase you ever end up in a different dealership for same issue. I know it's "in the system", but this will force them to officially document the issue vs glazing over it...again 😉 Hopefully it's a simple fix.

You may also want to contact Nissan Corp and let them know what your experiences have been. This way if the dealer never notifies Nissan, you at least did. There may be others with similar issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get it in writing from the service manager. This way you have a copy incase you ever end up in a different dealership for same issue. I know it's "in the system", but this will force them to officially document the issue vs glazing over it...again 😉 Hopefully it's a simple fix.

You may also want to contact Nissan Corp and let them know what your experiences have been. This way if the dealer never notifies Nissan, you at least did. There may be others with similar issues.
Good advice, thank you, will definitely contact Nissan this time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
From reading this and some of the other threads that have reported what might be termed electrical or control module interaction problems it would seem that when Nissan decided to change and/or upgrade the electronics when moving from Gen 2 to Gen 3 they may have either failed to confirm that all new or modified versions and additional features would play well together with previous proven sysytems or each other. The other possibility is the difference between the real world and how the engineers thought it was supposed to work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on the situation... truck still in the shop, service dept claims this one is a real head scratcher and they had an engineer visit to observe what they found. Per tech the transmission is not correctly communicating with the control module. They have ordered some parts and plan to keep another week for repair. Once I have a written repair order I'll post the results here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From reading this and some of the other threads that have reported what might be termed electrical or control module interaction problems it would seem that when Nissan decided to change and/or upgrade the electronics when moving from Gen 2 to Gen 3 they may have either failed to confirm that all new or modified versions and additional features would play well together with previous proven sysytems or each other. The other possibility is the difference between the real world and how the engineers thought it was supposed to work.
Hrmm maybe a language issue. Reminds me of Evangelion lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Update on the situation... truck still in the shop, service dept claims this one is a real head scratcher and they had an engineer visit to observe what they found. Per tech the transmission is not correctly communicating with the control module. They have ordered some parts and plan to keep another week for repair. Once I have a written repair order I'll post the results here.
Thanks for keeping us posted (y) I'm sure its frustrating having your new vehicle at the dealership, but sounds like they (Nissan) is on top of it now. Hope it gets released soon 😉

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I will never buy a vehicle without a mechanical ignition switch with a key. You folks can have this keyless crap.
There is no shortage of trouble with this unnecessary garbage, and it's brand new.
Wait until they are 5-10 years old, and new parts aren't available.

My advice to those going deep offroad with keyless ignition - buy yourself a satellite phone.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I will never buy a vehicle without a mechanical ignition switch with a key. You folks can have this keyless crap.
There is no shortage of trouble with this unnecessary garbage, and it's brand new.
Wait until they are 5-10 years old, and new parts aren't available.

My advice to those going deep offroad - buy yourself a satellite phone.
I agree with the mechanical ignition switch, but just like the manual transmissions, hand rolled windows, and carbureted motors, ALL vehicles are now going towards more tech including the keyless entry, push button start, and button controlled transmissions, etc. As it's been stated before...the ICE's days are numbered.
As with any technological advance in the automotive history...there will be a learning curve not only for the manufacturers, but also the consumers.
I agree with... simpler times we had simpler technology. But we also had people that weren't spoiled back then. I personally feel we as a society have gotten soft. I think the Disney movie WALL-E sums us up perfectly 😆 🤪 😉

Reactions: RamTest

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
As it's been stated before...the ICE's days are numbered.
Has nothing to do with electronic gadgetry being introduced and released to use on vehicles 5 years before it's been tested and proven to work in a trouble free manner. Electric vehicles will all have this same problem, Engineers just love putting crap on the market before it's been proven, then they leave their non-functioning gimicks in the hands of dealership techs that have no fucking clue what their even looking at because corporate officers are unwilling to spend the money to actually train them or pay them what their worth if they do learn the tech. The Gen 3 has shown to be infested with this problem in most of it's vehicle systems especially software related gadgets as shown by the volume of daily posts on this forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked up the vehicle. Dealer says they replaced the transmission control module. Actual work order notes as follows:
"Confirmed truck will neither crank over nor start. Battery passed load test - performed system diagnostic test and found DTC C1116 stored in ABS control unit memory and multiple U1000 DTCs stored in multiple control unit memories - removed and replaced stop lamp switch and truck still would not start. Further testing revealed CAN Diag support MNTR, is showing TCM is unknown in multiple control units - further testing revealed that only partial TCM part #31039 showed up in diagnostic results for transmission and that only the word code showed up under detail information for transmission - disconnected the battery and touched the two ends together, after reconnecting the terminal ends back on battery truck started and ran normally - removed, replaced and programmed TCM valve body, retested ok."

Parts listed:
Stop lamp switch Assyria
Valve assy-control
Oil pan gasket
3 EA sealing O ring
Transmission fluid

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
321 Posts
Certainly not what I would have expected! Glad they were able to get it figured out though. Shows just how interconnected the systems are on new vehicles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts