Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 v6 230+mi auto

After my wife drove to the train parking lot and tried to leav at night the truck would not start. Had it towed home so I could work on it. So far I have changed cap and rotor and plugs. But I am not getting any spark. The cap did have a burn hole from the inside so that is why I replace it. Distributor is about a year old. I have checked fuses and everything looks good. No cel codes as well. Plugs wires are about 2 years old. I pulled 2 plug wires and plugged in a spare plug to them and did not get a spark on either one.

Really I am down to no spark and why would it do this after sitting for 8hrs in a parking lot. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

·
Premium Member
7,501 Posts
Was replacement distributor Nissan/OEM or aftermarket?

Is rotor turning when starter is engaged?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
We bought a distributor online for my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder with the V6 engine - it had stalled out and went bad 1 hour after last running. Not only did that distributor work great, it restored lost power that had been absent in the 3 years that she'd owned it.

Then a year later it stalled out on the highway, had to have it towed. The little screw holding the rotor in position had come loose and fallen out, so no spark. Hassle, but simple fix.

So I also suspect something in the distributor.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Brand new parts are subject to failure just like older parts. Sometimes parts can be bad right out of the box.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
232 Posts
No Spark? Most likely Ignition module, distributor pickup, or the dreaded crank shaft sensor....

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Is there still a warranty on the distributor? If so, I would swap it out. Aftermarket distributors are notorious for early failure on Nissans. The crank position sensor is on the top/driver's side of the transmission bellhousing; they are a real pain to get to, especially on 4x4 models, but they aren't as prone to failure as the distributors. It probably wouldn't hurt to just check the basics first....fuses and battery cable connections...burnt fusible links...rodent damage to wiring. Of course, if you want to fix it correctly, you would need to consult your Nissan factory service manual and go through the diagnostic steps for a "no start/no spark" condition. Nico Club's site has downloadable manuals available and NissanHelp.com has some downloadable service manual chapters.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went ahead and ordered a new distributor. If I put it in and still no spark then I will move onto sensors, but reading here and other forums on other cars it seems to be the most likely culprit, especially after it burnt a hole in the cap.

As far as warranty on the old one. I had it put in by a mechanic, at the time the truck was having issues and I had a good paying job so I jsut took it to him and said fix it. Now I dont have the same job so the labor falls back on me. If it is bad I will take it back to him and see what he can do with his vendor.

I did check all fuses (this will lead to another post shortly) battery cables and other such issues. As it turns over, is getting fuel and not throwing codes I doubt it is rodent unless one decided to crawl up and eat some wires while being parked for 8hrs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I received the new distrubitor fro RockAuto. It dropped right into place after I set TDC. After some messing around getting it in the right spot the truck finally did fire up. I had the distributor one tooth off so it had a hard time running, then I set it 180 out then I finally got it in the right spot. Still have to put the timing light on it but setting it in the similar place to the other one the truck is running a LOT better. Also dropped a new set of plugs and wires in after one of the wires pulled apart when I removed it.

If anyone is looking for wires be very carefully with rockauto's. I ordered a set and only 3 of the will work, the 3 running down the middle of the engine are not even close to fitting. And because I installed 3 of them rockautos site says i cant return them.
*Update* So i emailed rockauto and explained the wires to them. Got an email this morning saying they would issue a refund and I did not have to return the parts, within a couple of hours got another email saying the refund was issued. Have to say that is pretty good customer service!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts