Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all -

I recently acquired a 2006 Nismo King Cab, and I love it. My only complaints are that the brakes don't inspire confidence, the rear window tint is too dark for night driving (especially backing up), and ... there is no way to unlock the passenger door without carrying around that big, silly remote. I don't have a purse for a softball-sized wad of keys. My wife's BMW has a remote that also serves as the key to start the car. Nissan requires me to have the remote and the key both. That's dumb, not convenient.

Has anybody come up with a fix to this? Is there a remote-less version of the RH door handle that has a keyhole in it? ... but that would mean buying a whole new lock set ($$$$). Talk about a design flaw.

- Leanit

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
Hi all -

I recently acquired a 2006 Nismo King Cab, and I love it. My only complaints are that the brakes don't inspire confidence, the rear window tint is too dark for night driving (especially backing up), and ... there is no way to unlock the passenger door without carrying around that big, silly remote. I don't have a purse for a softball-sized wad of keys. My wife's BMW has a remote that also serves as the key to start the car. Nissan requires me to have the remote and the key both. That's dumb, not convenient.

Has anybody come up with a fix to this? Is there a remote-less version of the RH door handle that has a keyhole in it? ... but that would mean buying a whole new lock set ($$$$). Talk about a design flaw.

- Leanit
I believe 2002 was the first year the passenger door had no keyhole.
I keep my key and remote seperate from the rest of my keys and fit in any pocket that way.

Clint

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Leave it unlocked and you won't need to worry about keys or a key fob.

Problem solved this thread can be deleted .Thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Its been a few years since I've seem a BMW with a keyhole on the passenger door. Believe BMW and other makes, Infiniti I know for sure, has dropped them from the trunk as well -- now THERE is a design flaw IMO.

To answer you question, Nissan does have smart keys where the head of the key is also a remote. And there are the switchblade type. I don't know that the Frontier is compatible. With that, if we all had these kewl keys, there would be complaints that "my remote doesn't work, now I have to replace the whole key, thats dumb". No current generation passenger side locking door handle exists, as far as my pea brain is aware.

If you have factory tint, try changing the reverse lamps to a higher watt bulb. If you have an electro-chromic rear view mirror, see if disabling the auto-dim feature helps. Obviously if someone has added additional tint, remove it or have someone do it. Brakes could need checked, they wear on all vehicles, especially after 4-5 years. A worn suspension can also give the impression that the brakes aren't up to par.

Otherwise, welcome & enjoy the truck.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
welcome to the club but my god what a trivial compaint to have. i can't honestly think of one time that i have ever said "damn i wish i had a passenger lock cyl so i can open this door". the rear tint is not the issue, it's sub par lighting for reverese lights. i still need to find a better solution for mine but i too have issues seeing when backing up. the tint is the same % that everyone else uses in other vehicles, they just have brigher bulbs or reverse cameras to make up for it. keyless start will probably a be a feature on the next generation of frontier as most completely new vehicles are going to it.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
welcome to the club but my god what a trivial compaint to have. i can't honestly think of one time that i have ever said "damn i wish i had a passenger lock cyl so i can open this door".
I have been on this forum for 5 years this is the first time I have heard of anyone complain about not have a key hole the passenger door.

This guy needs to win a prize.

·
Registered
378 Posts
welcome to the club but my god what a trivial compaint to have. i can't honestly think of one time that i have ever said "damn i wish i had a passenger lock cyl so i can open this door". the rear tint is not the issue, it's sub par lighting for reverese lights. i still need to find a better solution for mine but i too have issues seeing when backing up. the tint is the same % that everyone else uses in other vehicles, they just have brigher bulbs or reverse cameras to make up for it. keyless start will probably a be a feature on the next generation of frontier as most completely new vehicles are going to it.
My 06 came with the key lock on the passenger door. YAY!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have been on this forum for 5 years this is the first time I have heard of anyone complain about not have a key hole the passenger door.

I concur.

Myself, I have not used the key in the door for the past 4 1/2 yrs since I bought the truck.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I have this habit of opening the door for my wife, so I missed the passenger side key hole quite a bit when my fob decided to die. It kinda killed the whole chivalry thing.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
My 06 came with the key lock on the passenger door. YAY!
that is the only one i have ever heard of....... you have a freak truck :)

it must be a blue moon out tonight, i agree with mike :wtf:

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
that is the only one i have ever heard of....... you have a freak truck :)

it must be a blue moon out tonight, i agree with mike :wtf:
If you don't have keyless entry I believe you get a keyhole.

Clint

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
This may be trivial to most of you on here, but it is a big issue with me. My generation was taught to open the door for women and with no key hole on the door it is impossible. Yes I know that you can carry the key fob and open it, but I hate things in my pocket so no fob for me.

I carry my house key and truck key and that is all. I have a jar full of change at home because I hate to carry change. You young people need to remember that the older generations were bought up totally different than you were.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
If you don't have keyless entry I believe you get a keyhole.

Clint
ah, that makes sense. i forgot there were some 05's and 06's that didn't come with keyless, think that was only some XE's and SE's iirc. i didn't mean to sound like a :censor: , it's just something so trivial to me that's all. i understand what ya'll are saying about carrying key chains in your pockets, i typically thow my keys in my laptop bag when i get to work and just hang on to them when i get home and throw them on the table by the door as i walk in so they hardly ever spend time in my pocket. having a nice cell phone has taught me to protect it from keys, not to mention inadvertantly pressing the panic button once in a while. chivalry isn't dead, folks, it just requires a key fob these days :laugh:

to the OP, since there was a passenger side lock cylinder, chances are you can order one through the nissan dealership. i don't know how it could get keyed to match the truck but i'm sure you could either work that out with them or a local locksmith.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HKYStormFront said:
welcome to the club but my god what a trivial compaint to have. i can't honestly think of one time that i have ever said "damn i wish i had a passenger lock cyl so i can open this door".

Oh, so it's one of those forums. "This guy" is outta here. I'll solve it on my own. :wtf:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts