Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LOL! The only thing bad about owning this truck is I will NEVER have an excuse for missing work due to snow. Woke up this morning to only 2 inches (was hoping for about 8 inches). People all over the roads in front of me slipping and sliding and the only thing I could think was I wish the road was open so I could “play” a little before going in. It’s fine though, because I came into the parking lot sideways when I got to work.

Watching the news before I left the house they said it was level 1 driving conditions right then. I told my wife this is a level 3 truck. I know from two years ago driving 30+ miles in level 2 conditione bordering on level 3 (surrounding areas had already been declared level 3 that day). Used rear wheel drive only that day, never touched 4x4 mode.

These trucks are amazing! That is all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
These trucks surely can get through alot... but I still stay home when possible. I've learned that it doesn't matter what we can get through when we're stuck in a 2 hour jam haha. Even when its so bad that MOST people are off the road, there are still the people that try and block the road for those who can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll never move anywhere where it snows. I think I've driven in snow once, and that was enough for me. I'll take hurricanes over snow problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck, I want some deep sloppy snow here just so I can get out and around in it. Does anybody remember Stompers toy trucks from the 80’s? That’s what my truck reminds me of. Nothing holds it back.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
We were bombarded with snow a couple weeks ago. Being essential personnel (water plant operator) I slowly made my way anyway. The snow was deep but the wind was the biggest problem as it tried to push me of the road. I live way out on the country, about 23 miles from work, and had to rely on memory to know where the snow was to not end up in a ditch. Well the two subsequent reliefs couldn't make it in and I ended up working 24 hours, but on the upside I got overtime at time and a half plus two recognition days from the mayor for having to work when everyone for off. I only earn leave at one day per month so three and a half extra days is great. The truck and my tires (Falken Wildpeaks) performed amazingly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My worry isn't me making it in snowy conditions, it's that idiot driving on three-season tires who doesn't know what he's doing even when the road is clear that will lose it and slam into me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My worry isn't me making it in snowy conditions, it's that idiot driving on three-season tires who doesn't know what he's doing even when the road is clear that will lose it and slam into me.
couldn't agree more.

I lived in alaska 30 years, never once did i miss work due to weather, and most of my time there i drove small FWD cars with bald tires. Never had an issue. That's what growing up in Alaska will teach you I guess. you learn how the car handles ice and snow and where the treshold is of losing control and how long it takes to stop, how slow you need to go in order to turn, etc.
It wasnt until i moved to the seattle area that I missed work due to snow. the people here have absolutely zero idea how to drive in it (since it rarely snows), and a lot of them are from other countries who have never even SEEN snow and no idea that their $75k Audi has AWD. The first year I moved here, there was record snowfall. people were abandoning their AWDs and 4x4s because they thought the 'safe' thing to do is go 1mph, which results in getting stuck. No clue that MOMENTUM IS YOUR FRIEND when it comes to going through snow. It was absolutely nuts. Even if I wanted to go somewhere, I couldn't because half the roads were blocked off. So now if it snows here, I'm lucky enough that I can just stay home, even though for the first time in my life i have a capable 4x4 if it did snow 2 feet. I went with the 4x4 because who knows, I might be moving back some day, or east. I will likely never use it here unless i go off roading or up to the ski resort but I do engage 4x4 monthly on a straight to keep things working.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the tri-state area of Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia. We have levels of warning for bad weather. I don’t know all of the descriptions but I do know that level 3 will get you arrested for driving in it. Level 2 is so bad that no one is on the road with you most of the time. I was in a place in Ohio that probably should have been level 3. It was Level 3 in Waverly, OH that day in early 2015 when I drove to Minford, OH and they were at Level 2. Snow was 8” deep and trees had ice hanging from them to the point they were drooping over the road. I was on RT 335 and was 33 miles from home back in Kentucky. I worried more that a tree would fall and trap me in than I did that my truck wouldn’t make it. I went in, stayed 2 hours plowing walks so people could get out (thought meals on wheels would be coming for the elderly tenants), and then left for home. Made it both ways in rear wheel drive all the way, 66 miles round trip. I’ve always been able to drive in snow so I know that helps. But this truck will make a person lazy for snow driving and I worry that my skills will get rusty.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We were bombarded with snow a couple weeks ago. Being essential personnel (water plant operator) I slowly made my way anyway. The snow was deep but the wind was the biggest problem as it tried to push me of the road. I live way out on the country, about 23 miles from work, and had to rely on memory to know where the snow was to not end up in a ditch. Well the two subsequent reliefs couldn't make it in and I ended up working 24 hours, but on the upside I got overtime at time and a half plus two recognition days from the mayor for having to work when everyone for off. I only earn leave at one day per month so three and a half extra days is great. The truck and my tires (Falken Wildpeaks) performed amazingly.
Glad to hear those Falken tires worked good. I have the same set.
Was hoping for a snow to try them out, while I was home, a couple weeks ago. No luck.

These trucks of ours are tanks in the snow. Especially in 4wd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
? It has snowed here twice this year alone. You better move from NOLA to Miami or maybe even Key West.
I think in the 40 years I've been alive, it's snowed 4 times, at least that I can remember. And most of those times it had melted an hour later. I can live with those stats.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I hit Mardi Gras in '89...and it was in the 30s for Fat Tuesday IIRC, which is too dang cold for down there.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
4x4, 4x2 it doesnt matter. Where I work they never close and no matter what the weather, your expected to be there. They say its not their responsibility to get you there. It your responsibility to get there. We have a ding system. Unless you have a slip from a Dr. excusing you for the whole day, you get a ding. Get 12 dings in a yr, you get fired.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts