Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to comment about our MPG's. I noticed at most of the "Getty" brand gas stations, they were advertizing "No ethanol"! The fuel was more expensive then fuel with ethanol, but from what I know about fuel...it was a small price to pay.

I have gone throught 4 full tanks of fuel, and have noticed about 2 MPG's each time!!! In the 4 tanks of fuel has been a muti range of driving conditions.

All highway on one tank... 19.8 MPG!!!!!
mostly back roads and some highway and also a have tank with 4X4.

All have shown at least 2 MPG's then I had before!

P.S. My motor is 100% stock, and I have a 3 inch suspension lift, V6 auto. Also I drove like there was a cop sitting in the passanger seat, with pen "clicked" and ticket tablet out, waiting for me to F up. So in other words I drove like granny. Hahahaha

Just throwing out a FYI, and wanted to know if others have seen any gas stations offering this.

And this was my last tank of fuel. About 50/50. Highway and back roads.

·
Super Moderator
12,392 Posts
I fuel up locally at Getty but never noticed a no ethanol sign but will now look for one. Thanks for the heads up.

Clint

·
Registered
637 Posts
That would be nice to have that option in Oregon, I would pay a little more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That would be nice to have that option in Oregon, I would pay a little more.
Actually, in Oregon, it is no longer a requirement to have 10% ethanol in the premium grade fuel (92 oct.), only in regular and plus/mid-grade.

Good luck finding a station stocking non-eth premium though, the loading racks in Oregon do not have it. It has to be shipped in from Washington.

If your in McMinnville though, and have a Pacific Pride card, non-ethanol premium is available at the Pacific Pride on 3-mile lane/Hwy. 18. :smile:

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
it's funny someone mentioned this, i noticed when i moved to SC that i got a lot lower fuel mileage. couldn't figure out why. then i noticed the fuel has 15% ethanol in it. that would explain why my truck is knocking more when cold than it used to. i filled up back in hickory a few weeks ago from almost bone dry and got 2.5mpg better on the tank (granted some of it was highway coming back here, usually my mileage is about the same between highway and city). also of note, my friend's 335i BMW has had to have 2 fuel pumps replaced because the 15% ethanol ate the seals inside it or something along those lines. hope we don't have this issue. note that "flexfuel" vehicles currently being sold have different (read: slightly more expensive) seals that work with both pure gas and everything up to e85 according to my understanding

·
Registered
770 Posts
We have a station down the road that advertises no ethanol and it is cheaper than the regular ones around town with ethanol... Might just be the different parts of town that is the lower side of gas prices though, usually about .10cents cheaper though...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are there any big name stations that do not put in ethanol? Anybody know of anywhere in northern Nevada that has no ethanol?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
From what I have found Jordo's experience is pretty much what studies are saying should happen. Gas blended with 10% ethanol can result in a drop in mpg of up to 10%. Our gas comes no ethanol 87, 89 (with 10% ethanol) or 92 with no ethanol. The kicker is the 89 is a dime cheaper than the 87 per gallon, and 30 cents cheaper than the 92. I always get the best mileage on the 92 and I've tried several tanks of all 3 octane ratings to verify that.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's funny someone mentioned this, i noticed when i moved to SC that i got a lot lower fuel mileage. couldn't figure out why. then i noticed the fuel has 15% ethanol in it. that would explain why my truck is knocking more when cold than it used to. i filled up back in hickory a few weeks ago from almost bone dry and got 2.5mpg better on the tank (granted some of it was highway coming back here, usually my mileage is about the same between highway and city). also of note, my friend's 335i BMW has had to have 2 fuel pumps replaced because the 15% ethanol ate the seals inside it or something along those lines. hope we don't have this issue. note that "flexfuel" vehicles currently being sold have different (read: slightly more expensive) seals that work with both pure gas and everything up to e85 according to my understanding
WOW, 15%! That is a lot of ethanol!

We have a station down the road that advertises no ethanol and it is cheaper than the regular ones around town with ethanol... Might just be the different parts of town that is the lower side of gas prices though, usually about .10cents cheaper though...
Really? cheaper? Thats a win - win in my book!

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
damn NY i hate ethanol in my gas, both the XJ and dodge run a lot better with the premium 93, or if I'm lucky 10% ethanol, the 15 winter blend right now killed my highway MPGs in the dodge from 22 to 19. same road same gas station same speed

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
yea i'm hoping the 15% blend isn't permenent down here. maybe i need to scope out some gas stations around here that don't use ethanol. i wouldn't mind paying a little more for gas in order to get 2 more mpg, especially knowing that it has a lot lower chance of screwing up my fuel system

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I guess I'm lucky where I live. Most of the gas stations have switched back to "no ethanol" blends. A lot of the others are switching over as well. =) Price is usually about 2-5 cents more than w/ ethanol, but I don't like that crap in my truck.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damn NY i hate ethanol in my gas, both the XJ and dodge run a lot better with the premium 93, or if I'm lucky 10% ethanol, the 15 winter blend right now killed my highway MPGs in the dodge from 22 to 19. same road same gas station same speed
Damn, dude. Its like they are stealing from you. Not like the price went dowm to match your lose in travel. 3 MPG is a lot!

yea i'm hoping the 15% blend isn't permenent down here. maybe i need to scope out some gas stations around here that don't use ethanol. i wouldn't mind paying a little more for gas in order to get 2 more mpg, especially knowing that it has a lot lower chance of screwing up my fuel system
Yeah, I agree! .05 for 2 miles, thats cheap! I cant think of any thing that is that much more bang for the buck.

Our gas pumps say "Contains up to 10% ethanol". I have not noticed any noticeable drop in fuel economy so I guess it's way lower than 10%.
It must. Im not sure what we have here in PA. I'll have to look. I bet if you put some NY fuel with 15% in it, you notice that. Hahahaha

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll have to look but I don't think anywhere in Clarion has any no ethanol stations. Winter blend has definitely kicked my *** though. I'm getting 12.5mpg. It'd be nice if I found a gas station with no ethanol

·
Registered
819 Posts
A lot of the Phillips 66 stations in Tennessee have ethanol-free gas, but the price hike isn't worth it. It cost me $13 more to fill up with ethanol-free gas. :-/ and I only got 1.2mpg better fuel economy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ethenol is one of the biggest jokes ever pulled on the American public. It takes more fuel with Ethenol to go the same number of miles than without it. This has been proven many times over. So, we are saving nothing by using Ethenol and we are raising the cost of everything that corn is used for. Go look it up. Corn is used for hundreds of products.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We have Tesoro gas stations here in Idaho that say Ethenol free, and my fronty and my 96 tahoe both get much better mpg's with no ethenol then they do with it. But even with a motor that is made to run with it, the motor still gets less mpg. So lets talk about the benifits of ethenol: costs the same, less HP and TQ, and lower mpg's. Makes me want to buy it!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ethanol has a lower energy content per unit of volume compared to gas... which means more ethanol in the blend ='s crappier gas mileage... Also, winter blends of gasolene in general contain less energy content as they modify the fuel to lower it's boiling point for the colder temps.

In CT they run a 10% blend, and in the winter time I see about a 1.5-2mpg drop... Now that it's starting to warm up around here the summer blends should start comng in soon and my mileage will go back up...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
We have Tesoro gas stations here in Idaho that say Ethenol free, and my fronty and my 96 tahoe both get much better mpg's with no ethenol then they do with it. But even with a motor that is made to run with it, the motor still gets less mpg. So lets talk about the benifits of ethenol: costs the same, less HP and TQ, and lower mpg's. Makes me want to buy it!
Not to mention the fact that most of the boom in the ethanol industry was held up by farm (aka Govt) subsidies. Then lets take into account that there are studies that indicate it takes more energy to make a gallon of ethanol, than a gallon of gasoline. And there is always the impact on the environment they are just getting around to studying like increased erosion and fertilizer runoff from the additional corn farming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.