Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just installed the Scosche FMMOD02. I also had to use some FM antennae adaptors to allow it to plug into the deck. Works fine and I still get all the FM channels, however, I cant pick up any AM channels anymore. Anyone have an idea of what I did wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well AM reception comes through the ground or outershield of the antenna wire I suspect that the Fm modulator that you purchased does not have an internal ground passthrough. Try to hook up a piece of wire from the antenna adapters outer metal and touch it to the metal brackets in the vehicle this should work for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well AM reception comes through the ground or outershield of the antenna wire I suspect that the Fm modulator that you purchased does not have an internal ground passthrough. Try to hook up a piece of wire from the antenna adapters outer metal and touch it to the metal brackets in the vehicle this should work for you.
Excellent suggestion. Thanks. I will try that.:goodjob:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
where in the world did you get that BS information? AM travels the same path as FM in the center core wire. the "outershield" as you call it is the ground.

There are (2) parts to an antenna and you have to understand the antenna cable itself. Antenna cables are coaxial style cables. Coax cables have a thin center conductor wire at the center of the cable and an outer metal braid just under the plastic jacket of the cable. The center conductor carries the signal and the outer shield serves two purposes, it shields the inner conductor from radiated noises and acts as the negative voltage path. 99% of antenna reception problems can be traced to either one of these two parts of the antenna cable.
the ground or shielding ends at the deck and does not enter the deck at all. the plug is where it terminates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed the Scosche FMMOD02. I also had to use some FM antennae adaptors to allow it to plug into the deck. Works fine and I still get all the FM channels, however, I cant pick up any AM channels anymore. Anyone have an idea of what I did wrong?
Thinking of the same modulator, curious if you fixed AM somehow?

Also, could you list (or PM) what model radio (if stock, what year/trim) and which adapter you got?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi There,

No. I never got the AM working. So, I bought a JVC AVX 710 on Craigslist and and ordered the dash kit from Crutchfield. My truck is an 09 Crew Cab (SE) with the stock radio. I liked the FM Mod (sound quality was good) BUT there was interference from my Blackberry - just like anytime you listen to the radio and then the BB checks for email. That was not cool :-(

Thinking of the same modulator, curious if you fixed AM somehow?

Also, could you list (or PM) what model radio (if stock, what year/trim) and which adapter you got?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This one does work with am reception. There is a model without the ipod and other cables also but they dont have the new part # up yet.Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
Thanks for the link. At first I didn't see the iPod base connector (black hides well in the photo) but the PDF file explained it. Looks cool, exactly what I'm looking for, especially if the leads for the On/Off switch are long enough to reach the arm rest console.

Does anyone reading have this unit? I searched the forum for is77 but no hits. Might call PAC to get answers about:

Curious if I'll need an antenna adapter. Looks like the PAC unit uses the old fashioned connector, but (I guess) the 2004 stock head unit uses a different one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you will need antenna adaptors. I actually learned about these piece
at a PAC training this morning and they swore that with it am works
when it is switched off

·
Registered
30 Posts
you will need antenna adaptors. I actually learned about these piece
at a PAC training this morning and they swore that with it am works
when it is switched off
Installed the iSimple IS77 and the AM does work. I wrote a How-To for those interested.

BTW, I luckily needed no adapter for my antenna. Maybe that's why mine worked. (?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts