Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
well i dont know about the M/T's but my girlfriend has the A/T's on her pilot and I think they are quite loud.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
well i dont know about the M/T's but my girlfriend has the A/T's on her pilot and I think they are quite loud.
I thought the terra grapplers were loud too, until I changed out my exhaust. Then I couldn't hear the tires. Now I have some used Maxxis mud tires and they are really loud. It's really annoying and even though I want an aggressive looking tire, I certainly don't want the noise when I buy my next set in 6 months! The trail grapplers are supposed to be very quiet "for a mud tire", but I'm not sure just how quiet that is. I read on the dodge forum about people experiencing alot of body roll, related to how much air they put in them, but they are also using much larger tires (35+") than most of us, I think, so they have more sidewall. Nobody mentioned anything about the noise.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

I would have bought the nitto traoil grappler MT's but the reviews I read on them were not so good. The reviews went like this.....

BEST LOOKING TIRE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOUDEST TIRE EVEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WARE OUT IN 20K MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost every review was the same. ^^^

Nice looking tire for sure!!!!!!! No doutb about that!!!!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
my problem with the trail grappler is the limited size options. The only 16" they offer is a 285/70R16. If I went to 17" or 18" wheels I'd probably give them a try.

I run the Terra Grapplers now and they are not loud (for an AT) and have held up really well. So I'd def give them a try.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
also running terra grapplers and love them. yeah they are louder compared to stock, but our trucks came with street tires.

i cant hear them over my exhaust either

·
Registered
644 Posts
The way you're building your truck, i'm willing to bet a little tire noise is the last of your worries. :) I think they look mean. I like the look. Get 'em.
Haven't taken the time to read any reviews on how they perform, though.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Did you ever get the tires put on? I'm pretty sure these are what I am going to put on my truck when I get back to the US in the fall; I'd like to hear what fellow frontier owners have to say about them!

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I am starting to reconsider these tires...although I really was set on them! I emailed Nitto to find out how much they weigh. The 295/70R17s I was going to get weight 70.55 pounds each! The 305/70R17 Buckshot Mudders I have now weigh 60.8, and I can get Cooper STTs in the 295 size for $10 more than the Trails (per tire) and they weigh 63# each. I don't know if I want all of that extra tire weight that the Trail Grapplers would tack on. I am trying to find the weight of the stock rims and the rims I have now to see how much of a difference in weight those made as well.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I think My BFG ATs with stock rims were around 100lbs. I found the better the tire the more the weigh.
You're talking about the TA/KOs, right? What size did you have? It seems like a big difference, but really I'm not sure that the truck will really "care" about 28 additional pounds between one tire and another... I also have to remember that the trails are E tires. What do you guys think? Is the additional 7 pounds between the Coopers and the Nittos that big of a difference? In either case I am planning on upgrading my brakes when I do the tires.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah I got slotted and drilled roters with Willwood brakes so No worries on that.. The E rating make the sidewall stiffer.. I means less sidewall flex in the cornners but you have to air down more to get a bigger footprint offroad. I'm running bead locks so No worries if I want to run at 4 PSI. I have heard that they are a pretty sticky tire so I'm not sure about the tread life. But hey I got 6 of them for pretty much free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts