Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their tires nitrogen filled? And if so... Does it make a difference? The dealer claims better ride and improved mpg. Just curios.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
They said the nitrogen doesn't leak as fast as air and it does ride better but how it is suppose to save MPG I don't see. The whole thing is kinda stupid to me, regular air is free.

·
Registered
318 Posts
They said the nitrogen doesn't leak as fast as air and it does ride better but how it is suppose to save MPG I don't see. The whole thing is kinda stupid to me, regular air is free.
Air is free plus it's 78 percent nitrogen and just under 21 percent oxygen.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its a larger molecule, so a higher concentration of nitrogen is going to maintain the same tire pressure for longer, theoretically it reduces tire pressure maintenance.

just maintain proper tire pressure and there is no difference between air and nitrogen. its a gimmick.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So far out of numerous threads that I have read about nitrogen, the molecules are larger which means less pressure loss in your tires. It also is supposed to make the tire run cooler. The only tires that I have heard of where the temp. gets anywhere near benefiting from pure nitrogen is in the aircraft industry.

I still use the air in my own compressor and check my pressures regularly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
its a larger molecule, so a higher concentration of nitrogen is going to maintain the same tire pressure for longer, theoretically it reduces tire pressure maintenance.

just maintain proper tire pressure and there is no difference between air and nitrogen. its a gimmick.
Nicely put Beef

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i just wanted to know that I'm not the only one that thinks it's a scam. I check/adjust air pressure in my tires everytime i fill up so i got no worries.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Nitrogen does have the benefit of being dryer than air. the moisture in air causes more of a pressure change due to temperature. this is why racers use nitrogen.
For the average driver, your not going to notice the change in pressure. As the pressure increases, this may push more air out.
N2, O2 are similar in size. its the H20 that is going to slip out easiest.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just got brand new tires earlier from Costco, they put nitrogen in em, fo' freeeeee.
They put the pressure to 30 PSI.
Do they have higher actual pressure than normal air at same psi?

I normally set it to 35psi all around.

Saw a dealer chargin 20bux for it.. yikes.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
So far out of numerous threads that I have read about nitrogen, the molecules are larger which means less pressure loss in your tires. It also is supposed to make the tire run cooler. The only tires that I have heard of where the temp. gets anywhere near benefiting from pure nitrogen is in the aircraft industry.

I still use the air in my own compressor and check my pressures regularly.
the other reason we use nitrogen in a/c tire is b/c of the extreme temps that the tires are exposed to... the O2 molecules would freeze up at -50 at altitude and could possibly wreak havok on landing as the tires go from 0-150mph in a fraction of a sec.

Nitrogen does have the benefit of being dryer than air. the moisture in air causes more of a pressure change due to temperature. this is why racers use nitrogen.
For the average driver, your not going to notice the change in pressure. As the pressure increases, this may push more air out.
N2, O2 are similar in size. its the H20 that is going to slip out easiest.
i have experimented with nitorgen in my race bike and notice that i don't have to fiddle with tire press as much and find it more consistant. but is it worth the extra hassle of carryin around a spare tank....nope

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It's not a scam or gimmick until someone asks you to pay lots more $$ for it - I think all claims are true about nitrogen, just not worth anything extra unless your driving 150mph. If offered at no charge, I'd get nitro instead of air, but my limit would probably be about $1.00 per tire. I've heard of $5.00 per and think then it becomes a scam.

·
Registered
602 Posts
nitrogen doesnt change pressures
its pressure is pretty much the same throughout different temperatures
that is why we leak test air conditioners with nitrogen if we did it with refrigerant or compressed air the pressure would change but as with nitrogen it stays at a constant pressure
have checked my pressures one morning the checked at 4 in the afternoon pressures where about 6 lb higher in afternoon- hmm i can see why people use nitrogen and i do use nitrgen when i run flat and all i got is a nitrogen tank from the work van

its just like anything else they arent going to sell it to you at there cost they are open to make money not break even

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
unless you're driving a formula 1 car, an airplane, or other race car that wouldn't be legal on the street anyway......don't waste your money or the brain power it takes to think about using it or not.

You won't notice a difference. If you do notice a difference, it's in your head.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Must be in my head then, did it about 2 months ago. Tires stay same shape, no morning flat bulge. Here in Arizona it can get 20-30 at night and 70-80 day. And yes they have not lost since they were filled and the ride is better. Is it the nitrogen or just the higher stable pressure, don't know but I like it. If you've been to Arizona in May-August I'm sure you noticed all the blow out rubber on the Interstate from tires over heating. This year it will be interesting to see, I've pulled into the drive and touched the tires, liked to have burn't my hand. Between the Sun, 120 temp and road action/friction, they get hot. Curious to see what they do in a few months as temps rise

·
Super Moderator
11,068 Posts
Nitrogen is more stable in temperature extremes, it does not fluctuate with barometric pressure so your TPMS sensors stay off. Ever notice on a cold morning the light goes on and in the warmer afternoon it's off?
Why would Costco go to the expense to purchase and maintain the system if there wasn't any benefit? If anyone knows how to make money Costco does and you don't make unecessary capital expenditures unless it's going to improve your bottom line.

Clint

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's not a scam or gimmick until someone asks you to pay lots more $$ for it - I think all claims are true about nitrogen, just not worth anything extra unless your driving 150mph. If offered at no charge, I'd get nitro instead of air, but my limit would probably be about $1.00 per tire. I've heard of $5.00 per and think then it becomes a scam.
Right! Nothing is a scam until you are having to pay for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts